Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

General advice for new player

DareDevil21

Question

Hi guys, relative (total?;) newbie here, having only played a grand total of some 7 hours I think.

I have my Excalibur up to rank 14 & primary/melee weapons to 13-14 as well. I played up to level 9 or 10 a year ago & just recently returned after watching some Angry Joe vids showing how much the game had improved :).

Ok, so I love the speed & mobility in this game, and in most mmos I usually prefer ranged/aoe/summoner types. Slow travel is a deal-breaker for me, as is too much melee or PvP. So far so good.

So I don't think this starter frame is going to be for me longer term. As such, and given I'm only just about to go to Venus, is there really any point in even thinking about a 2nd frame before I max out the Excal + my first weapons...? Can I even get/afford the components until I get to Mars or further? I have the credits (~45K) + Orokin Cell & a lot of raw mats, so I think I can afford some of the frame blueprints (maybe). Any/all advice much appreciated. If I could start over I prob would have grabbed Volt instead, eh :-/.

Edited by DareDevil21

23 answers to this question

1. You dont need to start over, just collect more, some frames can be farmed from bosses others from Conclave but you can buy each and every non primes from the market (in-game store not trade chat execpt for Nezha which can be bought, traded or farmed from Sortie if you can get him from it) :D

2. Think of this game as a plumber and frames as his tools, each tool can serve a purpose, same here, each frame can do that to an extent.

3. Understanding the missions and the factions is the key to success, know what mission you are about to do and what frame/weapon + mods may and will help you finish it.

I briefed it for you but if you need more details i will post more!

Edited by Prinny13

First, welcome back, Tenno.
Then:

• Up you Excalibur and weapons to level max (30). Even if you don't enjoy it so far, it's a good habit to do so. And it will help you a lot, since Exca is a powerfull one during the whole game if mastered/modded well.
  • At this moment, just try to unlock new planets to have access to as much different ressources as possible.
  • The next frame you could try is Frost, which parts can be found on Mars if I remember well. He's a really solid warframe based on ice. If you don't really like melee so far, maybe Rhino and Valkyr should not be your priority.
  • Don't worry about Volt, he is not so difficult to obtain. You can find him in an clan dojo. If you can, join one to have mates to play with and who can help you.

Thanks guys, I did take a look at Frost as I do like Ice/snow themes :). But I read he was pretty slow to get around...

I guess the simplest question I had for now you've answered: don't waste money on plat buying frames or packs until I get further into the game & know I want to stick at it.

To elaborate on my 1st post, what is the *earliest* I/a newbiw could get a 2nd frame & what could I afford, keeping in mind the limited resources & mats I have? Is Frost on Mars the very earliest I could craft...? Thanks again!

3 minutes ago, DareDevil21 said:

To elaborate on my 1st post, what is the *earliest* I/a newbiw could get a 2nd frame & what could I afford, keeping in mind the limited resources & mats I have? Is Frost on Mars the very earliest I could craft...? Thanks again!

If you go to Mars you will get Frost but if you go to Venus you will get Rhino, both are good in their own ways.

PS. both of them have prime variant, unless you can get your hands on them don't forma the regular variant!

Heyo :P

I would recommend maxing out your excal while farming for a second frame - for the mastery. Rhino drops on venus, and while he has some aoe with stomp, hes notsomuch a caster frame. However, he does well in carrying you through higher level missions. 

In terms of "ranged, aoe, summoner types" There are 3-5 "summoners", these being Nekros, Inaros and Atlas for the base types and Loki or Equinox (second requires an augment). None of the first 3 are particularly easy to get, and of the second two, Loki is probably the easiest, despite being on Neptune, which is rather far away.

For ranged / aoe types, there is the starter Volt (like you said) which you can get from the tenno lab if you join, or create a clan (I recommend joining one), there is also Frost, Vauban, Nova, Nyx, Saryn, Hydroid, Mag, Oberon, Loki (again) and Limbo for caster types, and the ranged ones include Banshee, Mesa and Ivara - the easiest of which to get is Banshee - which can be, again, researched in the dojo lab.

Basically, join a clan and you're gonna be pretty well off. This can be done in the ingame recruiting chat, or here on the forums.

As I read your post again, you sound like you would quite like Loki. He deals little in the way of damage, and is very squishy, but can go right to endgame by turning invisible, summoning a duplicate, switch teleporting and mass disarming enemies. Also, he's very fast. 

To get to neptune from mercury you need to get in order:mercury, venus, earth, mars, ceres, jupiter, saturn, uranus, neptune. Soo its a lil while away. 

Have fun on farmframe :P

I'd think Volt or Ember would fit your described desires the most.

If we're talking mobility, all frames can do the same moves and manouvers, so the biggest difference you'll find is speed.
When talking speed you can't really beat Loki, but as mentioned above, he's rather squishy. The squish isn't really a problem though, if you either learn how to jump and roll like a madman, without getting stuck in geometry, or falling off the map. Should that fail there's always Invisibility, which also grants a nice damage bonus to melee attacks.
The longest you'll get Invisibility to last (as it is now) is around 32-33 seconds, which is quite a while in a game as fast paced as WF.

With that being said, the best advice would be to try out as many weapons and frames as possible. You never know when you'll find the thing that makes you giggle like a 6 year old girl.

If you need a clan try whispering me in-game. I've got my 1-man clan running with almost everything researched, so you're welcome to pop in, buy whatever blueprints you want, and leave at your own lesiure :)

Thanks again all, some great food for thought. May have to work towards Loki then.

Still not sure I understand clearly about getting Rhino on Venus or Frost on Mars - do you mean the warframe itself drops after some mission/milestone, or just the frame blueprint, which then means a considerable grind for the 3 main suit components, etc? Same with weapons - not easy to tell where the blueprints may drop, rather than just buying them on the market, which looks quite expensive.

And join a clan...check! :)

Surprised none said this earlier, don't use plats for anything but slots since every non-cosmetic stuff can be easily obtained. 

If you have a mate that can bring you to phobos, try mag. Best caster frame imo right there beside nova and nyx. She hass cc, block off incoming fire and redirects it, instant shield restore, and aoe damage dealing ult.

Nyx is up there on my most played frame to, she can turn on friendly fire for enemies in a HUGE area, be invulranable and absorb all damage, mind control an enemy, and instant radiation (also friendly fire) for a quite a decent sized mob. She can be easy to obtain, just wait for an invasion mission on a boss's node and defeat phorid.

Cheers :clem:

Cheers guys, just a few more quick questions:

- if I start a new frame, I assume I can't use my top upgraded mods at level 1 as I wouldn't have enough slots...?

- on a new frame, can I use any fully leveled & upgraded weapons at least?

- will a new frame start the planets & missions from scratch, or will all prior missions be shared between frames? i.e. anything marked as already completed (blue diamonds?) stays that way on the system map...?

6 minutes ago, DareDevil21 said:

Cheers guys, just a few more quick questions:

- if I start a new frame, I assume I can't use my top upgraded mods at level 1 as I wouldn't have enough slots...?

- on a new frame, can I use any fully leveled & upgraded weapons at least?

- will a new frame start the planets & missions from scratch, or will all prior missions be shared between frames? i.e. anything marked as already completed (blue diamonds?) stays that way on the system map...?

1. That is correct, almost. A unleveled frame (or weapon) will start out with mod points equal to your mastery rank. I'm mastery rank 18, so whenever I get a new frame, it starts out with 18 mod points, and they only increase once the frame reaches a level higher than 18.

2. Yes, weapons and frames work seperate from each other in that regard.

3. All prior mission are shared between frames. No need to re-do the entire star chart for every frame you get

My best advice is not to invest in a whole lot of frames (At first, at least. They're still important for mastery rank later on.).

Instead, go after 2-3 frames that fit your playstyle best, then master them inside and out, whether it be mod configurations, general playstyles., etc.

Then, go after weapons that complement that playstyle.

48 minutes ago, DareDevil21 said:

Thanks again guys. Now I just have to find a way to get the Mrs out of the house for a few hours to have a really good bash! :)

Tell her a shoe truck has tipped over a few miles down the road, and there are shoes littered all over the road. She should totally go grab some.

On 9/25/2016 at 1:51 AM, DareDevil21 said:

Ok, so I love the speed & mobility in this game, and in most mmos I usually prefer ranged/aoe/summoner types. Slow travel is a deal-breaker for me, as is too much melee or PvP. So far so good.

So I don't think this starter frame is going to be for me longer term.

One of the things I prefer about warframe vs a traditional MMO is that warframe progression is almost entirely at the account level.  What weapons you have, what mods you have and their rank,s etc.  All of that works with every warframe you own and this adds a lot of variance in your play experience.

A traditional MMO is more character focused.  You spend infinite time leveling your cleric and grinding for cleric gear.  When or if you want to change classes you are often starting over from zero.  That locks you into playing a healer all the time.

Don't get too caught up in the traditional MMO class roles.  Get all the frames (eventually) and have lots of fun playing the game.

Welcome to Warframe! There is a lot to take in at first but fortunately there's also a lot of online resources to help get you going.

Here is the Warframe Reddit new player guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4bxepx/new_or_returning_player_welcome_back_to_warframe/

Here is episode 1 of an excellent new player guide from iFlynn:

I recommend watching the whole series at your leisure, it is up to date as of July 2016.

On 9/27/2016 at 10:14 PM, BenzinNinJa said:

Tell her a shoe truck has tipped over a few miles down the road, and there are shoes littered all over the road. She should totally go grab some.

LOL - she's one of the few rare wimen who are neither into shoes, nor handbags nor jewelry :).

She has other vices & weakness though, so I will take your advice & look at exploiting some of those... <EG>

On 9/28/2016 at 5:54 AM, Vuli said:

Welcome to Warframe! There is a lot to take in at first but fortunately there's also a lot of online resources to help get you going.

Here is the Warframe Reddit new player guide:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/4bxepx/new_or_returning_player_welcome_back_to_warframe/

Here is episode 1 of an excellent new player guide from iFlynn:

I recommend watching the whole series at your leisure, it is up to date as of July 2016.

Cheers mate, yeah I already found those & am almost up to ep #3! :)

The only other question I had for the time being for you guys was, should I take my time in missions, kill as many mobs as possible, open all lockers, break open all containers, or is rushing to the end of each mission just to grab the objective or kill the boss a better way to go? I'm only just getting to Mercury at level 15, so pls let me know which is a better strategy early on & then mid-high levels down the track. I imagine the answer may be "depends on the mission", eh. Cheers!

On 9/28/2016 at 4:38 AM, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

One of the things I prefer about warframe vs a traditional MMO is that warframe progression is almost entirely at the account level.  What weapons you have, what mods you have and their rank,s etc.  All of that works with every warframe you own and this adds a lot of variance in your play experience.

A traditional MMO is more character focused.  You spend infinite time leveling your cleric and grinding for cleric gear.  When or if you want to change classes you are often starting over from zero.  That locks you into playing a healer all the time.

Don't get too caught up in the traditional MMO class roles.  Get all the frames (eventually) and have lots of fun playing the game.

I was kinda getting that feeling yeah. GW2 is kinda similar now, in that if you have a lot of gold/karma/mats you can just level up a new class to 80 instantly & outfit it, then kick off at max level. Assuming you have enough level-up tokens of course :).

1 hour ago, DareDevil21 said:

The only other question I had for the time being for you guys was, should I take my time in missions, kill as many mobs as possible, open all lockers, break open all containers, or is rushing to the end of each mission just to grab the objective or kill the boss a better way to go? I'm only just getting to Mercury at level 15, so pls let me know which is a better strategy early on & then mid-high levels down the track. I imagine the answer may be "depends on the mission", eh. Cheers!

I'd say a bit of everything really. You'll need the mats sooner or later, so it's never a bad idea to open a few lockers.
On the other hand, enemies also drop mats, and are far more abundant than crates and lockers, so moving forward and killing a bunch of stuff will easily yield a higher material reward. Especially if you happen to get into a group with someone who's vastly overpowered, running down the halls and insta-killing everything with his Ignis.

Once you've gathered your millions of Rubedo, and thousands upon thousands of Ferrite, rushing missions starts to make more sense.
I have mats up the wazoo, and don't really need to farm them anymore, so I rush alerts purely for the end-of-mission reward.

In this regard, the Carrier sentinel will be your friend, as it sucks up all nearby loot, apart from a few select things (Ayatan stars and excavator energy cells).

Ok, so now I've hit 26 with my Ex & just gotten to Mars after completing Once Awake I feel like I'm just starting to scratch the surface & get some more of the game. I've picked up several other frame & weapon blueprints along the way, although I always seem to be missing key components to build anything. It certainly doesn't hand-hold you & can be very confusing, even for a vet mmo player.

For example, the game just opened up the Kubrow & Arch-wing quests, but even though I can get an Egg down on Mars fairly easily I assume, the Incubator Power Core requires 4500 Nano Spores which I can't farm until Saturn *sigh*. The wiki page also seems out of date:

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Howl_of_the_Kubrow

The next step in-game with this is getting the Egg from Mars, NOT from E Prime, so is this page for an older build perhaps? Hoping I can also find an Incubator as part of this quest chain, rather than wait until Saturn, eh.

Edited by DareDevil21

The main blueprint for most frames and weapons are found in the market or by doing clan (dojo) research. If they cost platinum it's not a blueprint.
Prime versions drop from Fissure missions and can't be bought.

As far as I'm aware, Kubrow eggs have always dropped from Kubrow dens, which are found on earth. Can you post a screenshot of the game telling you to find an egg on Mars?

Yes the egg mission is on earth, but you need Nano Spores to make the Incubator Power Core and those aren't available until Saturn if I've read the wiki correctly.

I'm only just starting Mars, so my point was, the game isn't very balanced in how it hands out quests/rewards & various blueprints when you cannot get the mats until much further into the game. It's just confusing to newer players.