Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I know which Kubrow is best for my playstyle?

(PSN)Coyote_x_Starrk

Question

I just hatched my very first Kubrow (I have been able to for awhile but just now got around to it) and I got a Bulky Huras and everyone in my guild is saying how lucky I got with my first egg. 

The thing is I have no idea if the Huras is the right Kubrow for the way I play and despite reading the descriptions of them all and watching the vids I could find I still don't know for sure which Kubrow is best for me. 

The Way I Play

- I use melee weapons 99.9% of the time. Rarely do I EVER resort to using a gun unless I am on REALLY high level content.

- I prefer to get in and out as quickly as possible 

- I have used a Carrier since I first started playing the game since I mainly use melee weapons the shotgun is great and I love that the carrier collects my gear for me. Since I am constantly running around and pounding my way through waves of enemies I find that its easy for me to miss items so the Carrier does a great job of compensating. 

- Aside from using Melee weapons I love spamming abilities left and right. 

So naturally I gravitated towards the Sahasa for the extra energy/health or the Chesa for the item collection, but the moment I brought that up to the people I normally play with they immediately shot that down and said that the Huras is the better all around Kubrow and that outweighs the skills of the other breeds. 

So basically I just want some opinions on the subject from a 3rd party. Would also love any tips or suggestions when it comes to breeding or modding Kubrow because I know next to nothing. 

Edited by (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk

15 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

Well the thing is I have used the Carrier for so long I really wanted to have a living companion for once. 

just a note, carrier won't be the only one sucking stuff, PS4 hasn't got the update yet, but look forward to it 

as for the kubrows, you can always go for kavats, almost both of them have crit boosting abilities that'll make melee even more powerful 

if you really really want kubrows, I suggest the sahasa, it can dig up energy for you which really helps, especially when you start a mission

Just now, GinKenshin said:

just a note, carrier won't be the only one sucking stuff, PS4 hasn't got the update yet, but look forward to it 

as for the kubrows, you can always go for kavats, almost both of them have crit boosting abilities that'll make melee even more powerful 

if you really really want kubrows, I suggest the sahasa, it can dig up energy for you which really helps, especially when you start a mission

Yeah I saw the PC update 

I have no idea which sentinel is good since I used Carrier for so long lol

I didn't care for Huras. The "Hunt" precept is terrible for a Kubrow that's supposed to use stealth. "Charges ahead to attack an enemy"? Really? He'd always alert enemies. He should have one that targets stray enemies and does a stealth takedown. Pretty sure I had the Stalk precept in a higher priority even.

Chesa never really appeared to pick up much loot for me. I'd stand in one spot and watch it pile up 5, 10, 20, 30 little boxes crowding the minimap. Tried moving as well, thought maybe it'd be similar to how Vacuum triggers now, but didn't seem to do anything. Immediately gave up on him after that test.

I liked Sahasa. He'd actually dig and give me what I needed. Health, Energy, Ammo...was useful for getting extra things for the mission. If enemies are dropping plenty though, then I thought Vacuum was still better.

If you're not needing extra drops, then I'd say both of Raksa's precepts are useful. He was good at triggering either one when it was actually needed.

Edited by Maicael

Just now, Maicael said:

I didn't care for Huras. The "Hunt" precept is terrible for a Kubrow that's supposed to use stealth. "Charges ahead to attack an enemy"? Really? He'd always alert enemies. He should have one that targets stray enemies and does a stealth takedown. Pretty sure I had the Stalk precept in a higher priority even.

Chesa never really appeared to pick up much loot for me. I'd stand in one spot and watch it pile up 5, 10, 20, 30 little boxes crowding the minimap. Tried moving as well, thought maybe it'd be similar to how Vacuum triggers now, but didn't seem to do anything. Immediately gave up on him after that test.

I liked Sahasa. He'd actually dig and give me what I actually needed. Health, Energy, Ammo...was actually useful for getting extra things for the mission. If enemies are dropping plenty though, then I thought Vacuum was still better.

If you're not needing extra drops, then I'd say both of Raksa's precepts are useful. He was good at triggering either one when it was actually needed.

Huh I never really considered the Raksa. 

How is the damage? 

Based on your playstyle this is how I think the kubrows would benefit you:

Huras

• Allows you to go invisible when an enemy is nearby.
  • Not very useful when you're melee'ing stuff since it breaks the invisibility when you attack but useful when trying to get out of tight situations.
  • The invisibility however does not break when casting/spamming skills.

Raksa

• Probably wouldn't help you as much.
  • Howl scares enemies off. Scattered enemies aren't good when using melee. You normally want them clustered.
  • Protect replenishes your shields. If you use Volt a lot with Speed to boost your attack speed then this works. But if you're more into tanky health frames then nvm.

Sahasa

• You already know how this works. They dig up what stuff you need most - health, energy, etc.
  • The only problem is it isn't really that consistent on digging. You would notice that especially on restless missions like survival & excavation.

Sunika & Chesa - Nope don't bother yourself with these bottom feeders. They won't help you.

If you still can't decide what to pick from those 3 then get a cat - Kavat.

• Smeeta - Albeit with random buffs, may give you more benefit than most of these kubrows. Not to mention if you proc that all red crit. You will feel like a war god.
  • Adarza - Crit & reflect oriented cat buffer. Pretty good for your close ranged destructive needs.

My opinion? Keep the Huras. it's always good to have this breed when you need it. Then get a kavat.

1 minute ago, Oranji said:

Based on your playstyle this is how I think the kubrows would benefit you:

Huras

• Allows you to go invisible when an enemy is nearby.
  • Not very useful when you're melee'ing stuff since it breaks the invisibility when you attack but useful when trying to get out of tight situations.
  • The invisibility however does not break when casting/spamming skills.

Raksa

• Probably wouldn't help you as much.
  • Howl scares enemies off. Scattered enemies aren't good when using melee. You normally want them clustered.
  • Protect replenishes your shields. If you use Volt a lot with Speed to boost your attack speed then this works. But if you're more into tanky health frames then nvm.

Sahasa

• You already know how this works. They dig up what stuff you need most - health, energy, etc.
  • The only problem is it isn't really that consistent on digging. You would notice that especially on restless missions like survival & excavation.

Sunika & Chesa - Nope don't bother yourself with these bottom feeders. They won't help you.

If you still can't decide what to pick from those 3 then get a cat - Kavat.

• Smeeta - Albeit with random buffs, may give you more benefit than most of these kubrows. Not to mention if you proc that all red crit. You will feel like a war god.
  • Adarza - Crit & reflect oriented cat buffer. Pretty good for your close ranged destructive needs.

My opinion? Keep the Huras. it's always good to have this breed when you need it. Then get a kavat.

Thanks alot for the detailed answer. 

I was looking at the Kavat's but I am still trying to figure out how to get what I need to make them 

46 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

Yeah I saw the PC update 

I have no idea which sentinel is good since I used Carrier for so long lol

well, if you have carrier prime, it's still a good option, since it's the tanky-est sentinel, it's harder to die so it'll be with you longer in high lvls. there's not much to talk about about the other sentinels. wyrm prime can open enemies close to you for finishers, it knocks them down. diriga stuns enemies. helios scans for you if you're interested in that , these are 'the best' imo

31 minutes ago, (PS4)Coyote_x_Starrk said:

Thanks alot for the detailed answer. 

I was looking at the Kavat's but I am still trying to figure out how to get what I need to make them 

well, you should look it up in the wiki 

iirc, you should be MR5 or something, get the kavat incubator segment from clan dojo or from the hyekka masters, build it, install it then you scan the kavats on the derelict (helios doesn't count) for a chance at kavat DNA, get 10 and make a kavat, though it'll be hard to get the exact one you want look-wise. if you don't care about looks them good for you 

also, keep in mind that the heliocor hammer from simaris can get you the kavat DNA, also use the simaris scanner and not the normal one, since with a certain 'upgrade' you'll have a chance to get x2 scan which means x2 DNA 

both kavats are great, adarza give a flat 60% crit chance to all weapons, while smeeta gives has a number of buffs in it's charm ability, one of these buffs give you red crit for 30 sec....personally, if you're going for kavats just for the crits, adarza is much better, since smeeta's is too RNG  

Sahasa digging up orbs and tugging on enemies

Chesa for dismantle making enemies chase you in close proximity, collects but kinda bad at it

Raksa to lesssen aggro and chase after enemies 

Those are my recommendations for melee focus for survival standpoint

However Huras can be helpful for melee partnership the lunge attack called hunt mixed with bite and maul is good