Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I disable the in-game chat so that it can't be enabled ingame?

HoodwinkSk8rDude

Question

My brother (11 years old) has been hassling people on chat and he doesn't understand the concept of online chat. He thinks that everyone is friendly (which is mostly the case on warframe) and that everyone actually wants to talk. Even my parents are worried about him and I want to put a stop to it. Is there a way that I can prevent him from enabling chat and blocking DMs?

10 answers to this question

Warframe uses TCP ports 6695-6699 iirc. I think those are used for chat at least. If you can block them then you shouldn't be able to connect to the chat server.

I'm not sure if this creates problems with logging in or something. I think at least multiplayer gameplay works just with the UDP ports.

17 minutes ago, HoodwinkSk8rDude said:

My brother (11 years old) has been hassling people on chat and he doesn't understand the concept of online chat. He thinks that everyone is friendly (which is mostly the case on warframe) and that everyone actually wants to talk. Even my parents are worried about him and I want to put a stop to it. Is there a way that I can prevent him from enabling chat and blocking DMs?

Best I can come up with is ask DE to put him on a chat ban until he's older, like 14 or so... you know, so he can't chat.

Maybe have some form of parental control? At that age, he shouldn't have access to these games. Blocking Warframe's chat might not stop him from chatting in other games or any chatting applications. He might be seeking attention and parents should devote more time with him, maybe he need some listening ears? Try to find out the root of the problem to really solve the issue.

34 minutes ago, HoodwinkSk8rDude said:

What do you mean by "hassling"? If he's just talking a lot, there's nothing wrong with that, but if he's being harassed by older players, or breaking rules himself, I could see the problem. I have always run with the assumption that games with online chat functions work around the basis of, if you're old enough to play, you're old enough to deal with chat (even if this isn't always the case).

2 minutes ago, Ditto132 said:

Maybe have some form of parental control? At that age, he shouldn't have access to these games. Blocking Warframe's chat might not stop him from chatting in other games or any chatting applications. He might be seeking attention and parents should devote more time with him, maybe he need some listening ears? Try to find out the root of the problem to really solve the issue.

The issue could simply be that he's 11. Just because there's a problem doesn't necessarily imply some deeper issue.

You can disable region chat or any other chat via the options menu (screenshots in spoiler), just click on the green box with the tick (enabled) to switch the grey box with the cross (disabled) then click confirm and the chat channels will be removed from the chat list. However that won't permanently disable them as your brother can just switch it back on if they know how. You could write to Warframe support via a support ticket and see if they can help.

Spoiler

C3s0iVG.jpg

UPvZ265.jpg

On 10/16/2016 at 5:42 PM, Jeahanne said:

What do you mean by "hassling"? If he's just talking a lot, there's nothing wrong with that, but if he's being harassed by older players, or breaking rules himself, I could see the problem. I have always run with the assumption that games with online chat functions work around the basis of, if you're old enough to play, you're old enough to deal with chat (even if this isn't always the case).

On 10/16/2016 at 5:37 PM, Ditto132 said:

He basically messages people, sends game invites etc assuming that the people want to play with or message him. It is essentially harassment that he is doing (he doesn't realise it and has no concept of what harassment is and... considering he is 11, that's tolerable to some extent). He has even sworn before in a game chat on LoL when I played with him on there.

He also has a slight bit of brain damage from having issues with epilepsy between the ages of 3 and 6. This causes even more issues in terms of having no concept of online safety and he just assumes that everyone will be pleasant with him and will do whatever he wants.

The main problem is my parents being paranoid about child stalkers etc and thus have always hated any of us chatting in games. My brother loves the game and so I don't want him to be punished because he knows no better and is extremely naive about online interactions. Even if there was a script I could write (I actually quite like programming and have a decent knowledge of and experience with C++, VB.NET, Python and C#) that would handle it all, that would be plenty but I don't want to do that and then get my butt sued or whatever for messing around with the program and essentially hacking into it. 

On 10/16/2016 at 5:15 PM, Naftal said:

Warframe uses TCP ports 6695-6699 iirc. I think those are used for chat at least. If you can block them then you shouldn't be able to connect to the chat server.

I'm not sure if this creates problems with logging in or something. I think at least multiplayer gameplay works just with the UDP ports.

Probably best to not mess around with those... Unless a Warframe dev confirms that it would work and not cause any issues, I don't want to risk it...

On 10/17/2016 at 11:46 AM, NovusNova said:

You can disable region chat or any other chat via the options menu (screenshots in spoiler), just click on the green box with the tick (enabled) to switch the grey box with the cross (disabled) then click confirm and the chat channels will be removed from the chat list. However that won't permanently disable them as your brother can just switch it back on if they know how. You could write to Warframe support via a support ticket and see if they can help.

Reveal hidden contents

C3s0iVG.jpg

UPvZ265.jpg

Done that before but the little bugger was smart enough to realise that he could go into the options menu and find the chat settings. He didn't even know that I had just done that. I need something that he won't be able to access. 

On 10/16/2016 at 5:20 PM, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Best I can come up with is ask DE to put him on a chat ban until he's older, like 14 or so... you know, so he can't chat.

Two problems with that

1. I have no idea what you mean by DE
  2. His brain damage from epilepsy has caused his school work to be at the standard of a 6 year old rather than that of a 11 year old so... 3 years isn't likely going to be enough

1 hour ago, HoodwinkSk8rDude said:

He basically messages people, sends game invites etc assuming that the people want to play with or message him. It is essentially harassment that he is doing (he doesn't realise it and has no concept of what harassment is and... considering he is 11, that's tolerable to some extent). He has even sworn before in a game chat on LoL when I played with him on there.

He also has a slight bit of brain damage from having issues with epilepsy between the ages of 3 and 6. This causes even more issues in terms of having no concept of online safety and he just assumes that everyone will be pleasant with him and will do whatever he wants.

The main problem is my parents being paranoid about child stalkers etc and thus have always hated any of us chatting in games. My brother loves the game and so I don't want him to be punished because he knows no better and is extremely naive about online interactions. Even if there was a script I could write (I actually quite like programming and have a decent knowledge of and experience with C++, VB.NET, Python and C#) that would handle it all, that would be plenty but I don't want to do that and then get my butt sued or whatever for messing around with the program and essentially hacking into it. 

Probably best to not mess around with those... Unless a Warframe dev confirms that it would work and not cause any issues, I don't want to risk it...

Done that before but the little bugger was smart enough to realise that he could go into the options menu and find the chat settings. He didn't even know that I had just done that. I need something that he won't be able to access. 

Two problems with that

2. His brain damage from epilepsy has caused his school work to be at the standard of a 6 year old rather than that of a 11 year old so... 3 years isn't likely going to be enough

If it is possible, find someone close and patient that you can trust to play with him, guiding him along about online interactions.
I don't recommend messing around the application and get into any trouble.

DE is the acronym for Digital Extremes, the game development studio that created Warframe.

2 hours ago, HoodwinkSk8rDude said:

Two problems with that

1. DE, shorthand for Digital Extremes, aka The Developers. They came up with Warframe, and they're pretty good about helping the playerbase.

2. 14 was a suggestion, you could adjust this accordingly.

Edited by NinjaKitsune56

My best advice would be to PM a Dev like [DE]Rebecca or send in a support ticket explaining exactly this. At this point, it seems that in game options aren't going to be enough and the only ones who can possibly do more about it are the Devs themselves. They may not be willing or able to do more, but they might be your best option.