Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dark sector vs. Regular Defense

(PSN)brksboom

Question

So I've been trying to get Continuity by farming a dark sector defense, then it occurred to me that the rewards table for the defense missions came up BEFORE the dark sector defense missions are addressed in the wiki. And after way too many 20 wave runs on it, I feel relatively certain that the drops are different for dark sector defense than they are for a regular one. I just wanted to clarify with some of you here because the wiki isn't exactly explicit (as far as I read) about the rewards differences. This IS correct....right? No continuity on dark sector, only regular defense??? Thanks for taking the time to read and answer fellow Tenno! 

11 answers to this question

The drops are different.  There are a few mods that are only rewarded from dark sector missions.  Life strike is the only one I can remember off the top of my head, but I believe there were 3 or 4 DS only mods.  If you look at the WIKI page for continuity, it lists T3 Corpus defense as a drop location and not the other defenses.

3 minutes ago, (PS4)Loki1211 said:

The drops are different.  There are a few mods that are only rewarded from dark sector missions.  Life strike is the only one I can remember off the top of my head, but I believe there were 3 or 4 DS only mods.  If you look at the WIKI page for continuity, it lists T3 Corpus defense as a drop location and not the other defenses.

I checked continuity specifically and saw that, but then I checked the defense mission page and it listed it as rotation C on t1 at 9%. Seems the wiki is updated in patches???

Dark Sector Defense has a different drop table than regular (or Derelict) Defense. You aren't going to get Continuity from DSD.

The mission type pages are updated much more frequently than the pages for specific mods. I believe the Defense article is fully up to date.

24 minutes ago, pauli133 said:

Dark Sector Defense has a different drop table than regular (or Derelict) Defense. You aren't going to get Continuity from DSD.

The mission type pages are updated much more frequently than the pages for specific mods. I believe the Defense article is fully up to date.

Thank you. That was muh hunch. 

19 minutes ago, (PS4)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

The main reason you go to dark sectors is not the rot rewards its the exp boosts, large flat credit reward as well as better drop chances. The regular counterparts tend to have better rot rewards i found, on average. 

That's what I was used to using them for, and I would just extract at wave 15 because for the longest time I didn't understand that rotation was AABC. 

36 minutes ago, (PS4)Elctrcstel said:

not completly on topic-you can also get continuity from Sargus Ruk

Now I've played him probably 10-15 times and have yet to get anything but pressure point and some other dinky mod that I've repressed the memory of due to the sheer frustration of hearing his slow and awful threats to me everytime I metaphorically break his back over my warframe's knee. I'll probably go back to beating on him today but it just seems like this mod has been giving me a lot of trouble. Not sure if the drop chances are lower or higher with him. He's just such a long-winded boss fight. 

1 hour ago, (PS4)brksboom said:

Thank you. That was muh hunch. 

That's what I was used to using them for, and I would just extract at wave 15 because for the longest time I didn't understand that rotation was AABC. 

Now I've played him probably 10-15 times and have yet to get anything but pressure point and some other dinky mod that I've repressed the memory of due to the sheer frustration of hearing his slow and awful threats to me everytime I metaphorically break his back over my warframe's knee. I'll probably go back to beating on him today but it just seems like this mod has been giving me a lot of trouble. Not sure if the drop chances are lower or higher with him. He's just such a long-winded boss fight. 

Wave 20 is rot c. Then the cycle repeats on wave 25 with rot a. Wave 20 rot c usually have the better higher value reward.

Edited by (PS4)Shaun-T-Wilson

You really need to do a google search for the datamined drop tables.  As mentioned DSD doesn't award continuity.  Low level regular defenses (Mercury - Phobos) have a 9% drop rate for it while higher defenses have a 2.25% drop rate.

If you prefer fighting infested then the defense on Mercury is your place.  That planet didn't have dark sectors so the node is on the non-DS award table even though they shifted the enemy with Starchart 3.0.  It's a decent node for lith and meso relics as well.

I think running bosses for resources or mods is painfully boring.  And you generally get nothing for your time spent.  Just to throw that out there.

EDIT - just to seal the deal on running Ruk, I looked up the drop rate on continuity.  Its 1% from the boss.

Edited by (PS4)Agent_CHAR

5 hours ago, (PS4)Shaun-T-Wilson said:

Wave 20 rot c usually have the better higher value reward.

This really isn't true any more with the changes to rewards in the age of relics.  It used to be that rotation B was only keys and C was where all the action was, so to speak.   Now a days those rotations are both half relics and half mods.  They essentially shifted half of the old C to B to split the relics from different eras.

Take good old Hieracon as the example.  Rot B contains serration, hell's chamber, split chamber,etc while rot C has the ammo mutations.  B is clearly better, more important stuff than C.