Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Playing Chroma

Producer-san

Question

11 answers to this question

Build mostly for duration and strength.

Chroma IMO is the only "real" tank in this game. He is actually encouraged to take hits in order to get the buffs from Vex Armor. Therefore you want to build for max duration and some strength in order to stay tanky and powerful.

I think Chroma is the perfect frame for you since he the Everlasting Ward augment that allows him to transfer the Elemental Ward buff to all players throughout the duration of the ability.

That means your allies can get an increase in health, shield, armor and reload speed depending on which element you use.

Yup, what Tricky5hift said. Also, your energy color determines your element. Note the element symbol on your energy color in the appearance menu.

Also, I would watch Mogamu's Warframe videos on YouTube. He's pretty insightful and can help you figure out how to best build weapons and stuff. Rob from a gay guy plays is also really good.

Edited by Zachles
All hail Mogamu.

going to add that when you run fire as an element, you can actually double as a healer as the bonus health you get with the max hp increase actually sticks after the max hp goes away, so you can effectively heal for upwards to 700ish at max strength. I'm going to be testing out a max power min duration build for him sometime in the near future because of that

Some advice I gave to another player with the same question. Hope this wall of text helps.

On 9/11/2016 at 5:53 PM, Lucernam said:

Chroma main here, which element you choose is up to you. You just need to find which one fits your playstyle. Personally, I go with fire, using the health boost for survivability as well as the damaging ring that burns enemies that have the audacity to try and melee me, especially Infested. Chroma is an excellent solo 'frame, who can take and deal out lots of damage without needing to rely too heavily on other players. If you can find your rhythm, Chroma can be the rock against which impotent waves of mobs crash.

There are dozens of ways you can go about building your Chroma; you can do an Effigy build, to help hold static points like in Excavation or Defense Missions. The bonus credits are nice too if you need to farm some cash. If you want to do an Effigy build, then you want to build for Efficiency and Duration. This will let your Effigy stay active for as long as possible so you can keep having another guy on the team and/or farming those creds. Along these lines, also equip Strength mods like Intensify. These will make the fire-breathing pelt more deadly to enemies as well as increase the credit bonus you get. With this build I would recommend building for survivability as well. High shields, high health, and high armour (especially if you aren't currently using the ice element) will ensure that once you shed that skin, your skinny-form doesn't become a fragile thing that will fall to enemies before you can take advantage of the benefits of Effigy. In this build, range is not something you need to worry about all that much. So, I recommend skipping mods like Stretch or Overextended. If you have them, think about using a Narrow Minded mod. It will decrease your range, but you're not using that anyway.

There is also the dual Vex Armour/Elemental Ward build. This one is especially good for solo missions, as no matter what element you run, it will vastly increase survivability and damage output. For this one, I'd almost recommend the same mods, mainly Efficiency and Duration, and definitely Strength mods. The Efficieny/Duration will, again, make your bonuses last longer for both power, YouTube user Tactical Potato reports that, using his build, he can get a full minute-long defense bonus from each power. Now, here is the important and rather counter intuitive thing. If you build for these, do not build for high shields. See, the Vex Armour armour bonus reaches its ultimate maximum at 400 shield damage. So, at most you'll take a fully ranked Vigor which will give you 420 shields. Once these shields are gone, and health starts taking damage, that's when the damage bonus starts kicking in. So while shields get mostly ignored with this build, buff up both your health and your armour as high as you can, because your foes will be eating at that paltry 420 shield very quickly, especially at higher levels. While this is what you want, it can catch you unprepared if you don't keep an eye on your vitals.

An alternate idea, but this one specifically for fire element, is to use Elemental Ward as a quick heal. You actually ignore (or even decrease with Corrupted Mods) Duration, which lets you pop off a quick heal to your health. While any bonus health will quickly fade, the trick to this build is that any health healed that isn't above your base health remains. If you have a low Duration, then you can use this quick-heal again and again as needed. I haven't tried this one myself, but it is an interesting idea that bears mentioning.

Much of this advice came from a YouTube user named Tactical Potato, who I mentioned earlier. He is a Chroma main, and has builds and guides for every elemental type. I recommend checking his Chroma guides here. He has a pretty thick Irish accent, so he may be tough to understand at first, but his advice has been very helpful in building my own Chroma. Hope all of this helps! If you're curious I can also post my own personal Chroma build if you think that will be of any use, which might be helpful because unlike Potato, I don't have many Corrupted Mods, so I've had to build differently.