Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

lotus

(PSN)ExcelionPrime

9 minutes ago, Gelkor said:

Lotus? Likely not, Sentients don't reproduce like Humans do.

Margulis, who it's heavily implied Lotus patterned herself off of, was Ballas' lover.

This, and also she is barren as a result of traveling in the Void (the Void being toxic to Sentients such as herself), hence her taking the Tenno under her wing as children of her own, lacking the ability to have naturally born children of her own. 

7 minutes ago, arch111 said:

A more important question, could a sentient love a human being and vice versa?

Depends on what you define the Tenno as. If you define them as human (which I think would be a reasonable thing to do) then yes, a Sentient can love a human, as the Lotus's bond to us has many maternal (motherly) properties. If we reciprocate this bond remains to be seen, but until then I think it is safe to say that a Sentient can love a human, but perhaps not in a romantic way. 

10 minutes ago, arch111 said:

The Lotus loves us all as her children.

51 minutes ago, Imaru said:

This, and also she is barren as a result of traveling in the Void (the Void being toxic to Sentients such as herself), hence her taking the Tenno under her wing as children of her own, lacking the ability to have naturally born children of her own. 

That awkward moment in Natah Quest:

Lotus: "Now I am the mother."

Me: *backing away slowly*

Edited by Gelkor

4 minutes ago, Gelkor said:

The Lotus loves us all as her children.

That awkward moment in Natah Quest:

Lotus: "Now I am the mother."

Me: *backing away slowly*

And it belatedly occurs to me that this thread should now probably have a spoiler tag...

2 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Er...Isn't the Lotus pretty much the explicit example of basically that? 

I mean, sure, it's starkly apparent that Sentient approach such things in a very inhuman way, but considering they're not human, it makes sense. Really, Lotus' issue is that her concerns are extremely single target at the cost of anything not Tenno...unless it might not suit the Tenno for varying reasons she may not fully understand. It's entirely possible that Lotus' ethics/world view could border on Sociopathic from a human perspective, yet being entirely normal for a Sentient's. We just don't know.

We could do with some more examples of Sentients, really. Hunhow and Lotus do not make an indicative sample to determine 'overall mindset/worldview' as they're both arguably working to their own ends.

But tenno are not human. We are "something more" now.

And even then, I think I meant passion as the OP asked "mate". It begs the question just how evolved Lotus is and what sacrifices she made to become our caretaker.

Like warframes I assume Sentients are alive, living machines and all that,  and biotechnology would become allmost impossible to separate from living organisms at some stage.

If Lotus had romantic feelings to someone, I really wonder how that would play out.

2 hours ago, Imaru said:

Scumbag void. x9 report

OT: As it's already been said, it's highly unlikely. 

9 hours ago, arch111 said:

But tenno are not human. We are "something more" now.

Transhumans are still human. Tenno are nowhere near Ex-human existences. Sure. Normal humans don't have super powers. But I think we all have enough familiarity with X-Men and the like to know 'doesn't mean they're not still human'.

If we discount the Tenno from being human, then we must also discount the Orokin being human, due to their extensive modifications far from humanity that we recognise.

9 hours ago, arch111 said:

And even then, I think I meant passion as the OP asked "mate"

Specification does wonders.

Even then, you don't necessarily require 'Passion' as a component of a pair bond. Looking at Lotus from the Four Loves, she at least aspires to perhaps Storge...whether or not it's one-sided on her part remains to be seen. Interestingly however, I would argue that Margulis' relationship to the Tenno may have been more along the minds of Agape.

Nevertheless, it's entirely possible to be in a strictly platonic relationship with someone. Seeing as the Lotus is a Sentient, we have absolutely no reason to assume she and her kind need to approach such matters anything like we do, assuming they even do so at all. After all, at the core of it they are some kind of advanced thinking machine, that evolved over a long period of time. The forces that impacted them may make them very distinct in how they approach things; we cannot take for granted when we're dealing with genuinely non-human entities.

11 hours ago, arch111 said:

There are even more important questions: What is love and can machines really think and feel? Fact that something looks similar outside doesn't mean it's "real inside".

Spoiler

You can programm computer to ACT like a human in terms of thinking and feeling (programming, data analyzing, receivers, responders), but it's not real on "humane level". But it all depends on one's world view, antropology and philosophy.

Edited by Valorosus

Remember in the Moa synth how dad says

"Did you have robots like this?"

Looks at barely functioning moa.

"Yeah, we had ones who walked on two legs. But they were ... different back then."

----

If you pair that with Darvo saying all robotics must have individuality-inhibitor installed, we can speculate quite a bit as to why that is, and what happens if you turn that inhibitor off ...

It's very easy to unintentionally create rogue AI: programm a command "IF endangered, THEN self-defence" without restriction line of code that says: "IF bipedal creature spotted, THEN not attack" with higher priority than previous one. But hack this programming, change order of commands, and we have terminator. Add some sensors for electromagnetic waves, collectors of various particles ("taste", "smell"), bunch of data analyzers, complex lines of code that are executed for almost every environmental situation (IF "smell" fire, THEN escape), and voila! Sentient with feelings.exe inside is launched. I'm simplifying this, but I want to say that "not all is gold that glitters".

Spoiler

It's just one point of view, but think about it. Though it's not a Warframe world, AI problem is the same.

Edited by Valorosus