Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

TED Talks

Imaru

So I've been watching a bunch of TED talks recently while I should be doing other things and there are a few that really stood out to me. If I can quickly find links to them I will post them but they're really easy to find with a quick google search. 

The one that fired me down this rabbit hole was Adam Savage's one on cosplay.

Not sure why, but that one really resonated with me. Perhaps it has something to do with my passion for making things, and wanting to get into cosplay/costume but not knowing where to start.

Next was Tim Urban's discussion of procrastination.

This one I can tell you was interesting to me for one specific reason. I am terrible about procrastinating and, though it may not have changed the way I function, his talk at least opened my eyes to the issues at hand. Apparently some of my college friends were shown this talk in the second week here. 

After that, I stumbled upon what seems to be an "anti-TED talk": Will Stephen's How to Sound Smart in your TEDx Talk.

I liked this one because it kind of exemplifies a way I live my life: if you look like you know what you're doing, no one will ask otherwise. For example, if I walk into my old high school and look like I belong, I might as well actually belong, because people's perceptions are their reality. 

Finally, I saw John Green's talk on Paper Towns and why Learning is Awesome.

This was the one that really struck home for me. I love learning, but I hate education. I thoroughly enjoy seeking out and finding new information, and if a teacher can scratch that itch, I will love every second of their class. Unfortunately, I have seldom found teachers that can scratch that itch for me, and as a result I find myself distant from school and assignments. If I can get my hands dirty (often litterally) I will enjoy a class far more than if I have to sit in a chair an listen to the teacher tell me what to think and how. 

So what TED (or similar) talks have really resonated with you? I can think of several more that I don't really have space to put here, but I'd like to know which ones you've seen and made you look at life differently. 

I think it so far has to be the talk given by Hugh Herr about advances in bionics.

Sure. It's 2 years old at this point. The actual practical application of the technology is extremely far away. But damned if this isn't an amazing testament to how much better the lives of people who have lost/never had a given limb/s may become when it's easily accessible.

• 2 weeks later...