Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I Understand Melee Weapons Are Fun To Make...

DeathByTeaCup

melee weapons are great and some can be pretty cool, some of the new ones seem really sick, however, there are enough melee weapons right now. if you added more primary and secondary i would be okay with this but i dont want to level 15 melee weapons while i have all maxed out guns.. just a thought

not like we have a tone load of new weapons in dojo

not everyone is gung-ho about joining clans. some might just be waiting for the new input of smaller clans requiring less materials to build stuff, so that they can have the dojo weapons. but its true.... if you think about it, we use primary/secondary weapons alot more than we use melee.

Some people like myself prefer to get up close & personal. Also until recently, and I mean real recently, there was a balance like between one primary or secondary to every two melee. Paris, and Dual Vipers come to mind. Kunai and the Despair are also recent additions. And the bow, whatever it's called, I always get the names of the drops from that creepy couch stealing emo assasin bass-ackward!.  Then there's the Latron Prime, of course that you have to really work for.

Also counting the Glaive and the new Kestrel as just melee seems just wrong.somehow.

Dual Bronco's (A personal fave!), along with the Grineer sniper and auto pistols  are nothing to sneeze at.

Then there's all the new lab stuff, but I agree a lot of that may not really be worth all the hassle, and I run a clan! Still one has to keep up with the neighbors.....

So what are we talking about now? A lack of projectile weapons you can "get"? Or just a lack of ones you can buy for credits, or buy the bp's? If your beef here is about a lack or guns you have to  pay real money for and get immediately with a free potato, you'll get so sympathy from me!

Lost my train of thought listing all these non-melee weapons. ;P

-ojd-

Edited by OldJerseyDevil

melee weapons are great and some can be pretty cool, some of the new ones seem really sick, however, there are enough melee weapons right now. if you added more primary and secondary i would be okay with this but i dont want to level 15 melee weapons while i have all maxed out guns.. just a thought

While you are absolutely right,melee weapon are FAR easier to balance.

Introducing more primaries or secondaries without balancing them first may result in crazy op like kunai or despair, or on the contrary in a grakata-like primary that require absurd modding and patience to be useful.

snip

Well wise guy, its just have a count of how many weapons we can access right now why don't we.

Primary weapons: 14

Secondary weapons: 15

Melee: 33

Its think how many slots we have. It appears to be 3. One for primary, one for secondary, one for melee. Can you tell me why there is double the amount of melee weapons as primary or secondary? :O

Well wise guy, its just have a count of how many weapons we can access right now why don't we.

Primary weapons: 14

Secondary weapons: 15

Melee: 33

Its think how many slots we have. It appears to be 3. One for primary, one for secondary, one for melee. Can you tell me why there is double the amount of melee weapons as primary or secondary? :O

Cosmetics bro, cosmetics. I use pretty melee weapons cuz they r pretty :>

Cosmetics bro, cosmetics. I use pretty melee weapons cuz they r pretty :>

Where's my bunny ears for my frame then? >.> I'd pay solid platinum for that.

And a Chris Tucker voice pack:

(For when the reactor acts up and you need to get out within 5 minutes :D)

Edited by CloudPies

Also, don't even get me started on the amount of redundant/identical melee weapons (Skana/Machete/Jaw Sword/Pangolin Sword/Ether Sword/Prova etc). Sure, most of them have some tiny adjustment of some stat. But I didn't see 2 pistols that differed only by crit-rate.

Also, don't even get me started on the amount of redundant/identical melee weapons (Skana/Machete/Jaw Sword/Pangolin Sword/Ether Sword/Prova etc). Sure, most of them have some tiny adjustment of some stat. But I didn't see 2 pistols that differed only by crit-rate.

This.

There are so many unremarkable and underused melee weapons that making new ones is simply a waste of time (except as a Platinum draw). The game would feel much more polished if the different melee options were all distinct and worth using. As it stands, though, they're making it harder for themselves by introducing yet more weapons we'll probably forget about in a week.

The beef I have against Melee Weapons is that they are so freaking hard to level up in the first place.

Given the nature of how both Corpus and Grineer love appearing in packs with pew pew guns everywhere, trying to level a melee weapon on them is not exactly the best idea in the world.

Similarly, going up against Toxic or Disruptor Ancients with Melee Weapons is also an ill-advised idea unless you have Iron Skin or something similar.

So that pretty much limits you to Mercury or maybe Saturn (you'll still see Toxics on Saturn, though) Infested to level melee weapons with.

And even then, you can do an entire mission and get maybe 1000 to 1500 XP on a weapon. Trying to get this weapon up to 30 at that rate would take stinking forever.

Meanwhile, you can grab nearly any gun, and get it to 30 effortlessly.

This is more of a fault of the XP system and how unforgiving it is (it is better to NOT kill still yourself, for example) than it is Melee Weapons.

The problem with making more Primaries and Secondaries, though, is that there's only so many interesting things you can do with guns. We already have 3 Shotguns, 2 Shotgun Pistols (if you count Bronco and Dual Broncos as separate guns), 5 Machine Guns (Braton, MK1, Boltor, Grakata, Gorgon), 2 Bows (Dread, Paris) 2 Sniper-type rifles (Vulkar, Latron), 4 Auto Pistols (Furis, Viper, and their Akimbo versions), 1 Sniper Pistol, a Rocket Launcher, a Flame Thrower, Poison Dart Gun, Poison Cloud Gun, Laser Guns, and quite a bit that I'm probably forgetting about. Hybrids like Kraken, Sicarus, Burston, etc..

How many more guns can we REALLY make that we don't already have?

The only thing I can think of that we don't have, is a grenade launcher. And that's basically what the one Poison Gun actually does IIRC, only its poison and not explosive.

Edited by Xylia

I like doing infested defense to level up melee, for the first couple of tiers anyway. I leveled up my Orthos pretty quickly this way, getting 4K affinity or better per run. Just make sure you have a strong ranged weapon or a good panic button power to deal with/avoid ancients.

-snip-

How many more guns can we REALLY make that we don't already have?

The only thing I can think of that we don't have, is a grenade launcher. And that's basically what the one Poison Gun actually does IIRC, only its poison and not explosive.

This is because you're being unimaginative. There's still a large variety of laser and bolt weapons that could be made. There's also variations of current weapons, like the bows. We have 2 longbows at the moment, DE could make a shortbow or crossbow without having any overlap. There's a large number of primaries and secondaries that could be introduced without much overlap.

The beef I have against Melee Weapons is that they are so freaking hard to level up in the first place.

This is my problem, as well. When I went through almost an entire mission trying only melee kills and by the end the weapon didn't even go up one level, I gave up on leveling melee weapons. I do like all the different cosmetic choices, but trying to level them has been beyond my attention and dedication span. Basically, I just use them when appropriate now and for variety rather than leveling. I'm sure there are other things that can be done with primary/secondary weapon variety (look at Borderlands), but I think DE might have to redesign the mod system for weapons, as far as the fire/ice/electric mods, making them direct effects of the weapons with possible mods that work only for a certain type of elemental effect weapon (kind of like how there are the 4 WF-specific mod slots.) Just a thought.

This is because you're being unimaginative. There's still a large variety of laser and bolt weapons that could be made. There's also variations of current weapons, like the bows. We have 2 longbows at the moment, DE could make a shortbow or crossbow without having any overlap. There's a large number of primaries and secondaries that could be introduced without much overlap.

What's the difference between a longbow and a shortbow?

Actually, Dread is more of a Shortbow than it is a longbow. Look at it, compared to the Paris. It is a lot smaller.

But either way, both of them are used in much the same way. Nock an arrow, pull the string back, release. ZIP! They just LOOK different.

Crossbow? So you want a nerfed Boltor gun? That's basically what the Boltor already does, only the Boltor does it better by firing faster. You could, perhaps, make a slow-firing bolt gun that does more damage, but uh... what exactly, again, would the difference between it, and say a snipetron would be? Other than, perhaps, being a lot more inaccurate because it is a projectile weapon and not hitscan, that is.

My point is, for nearly any type of gun you can think of, we already have something in the game that would behave exactly like it. Your new gun would only be different in aesthetics. And when we start getting down to that, then one has to wonder "Why even put that weapon in the game in the first place?"

Like......the Machete vs Skana.

Same stats, different skin. Did we really need a 2nd Skana (what most consider the weakest melee weapon in the game)? Alternatively, you could have made the Machete a new Skin like the Brokk Hammer for the Fragor, or the Manticore/Dagger Axe skin for the Scindo.

Y'know, I think this game doesn't have enough maces. More maces please!

We only have 3 blunt weapons in the game, not counting the fists, true. Amphis, Bo, Fragor. And two of those are staves.

I could get behind a 1-handed blunt weapon that is designed to be armor piercing (blunt blows go through armor and break bones). Perhaps it has a damage penalty vs Infested or something.

EDIT: There's also the Prova, but that's more electric damage than anything. The weapon itself is not meant to cause a lot of blunt trauma.

Edited by Xylia