Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

PC Keybindings / Computer Info

(PSN)LeBlingKing

Question

I don't have access to my PS4, so I'm gonna try to play Warframe on my PC. @MasterBaitxXx

I'm on a laptop, and I never played on PC before, so I know I'm gonna be awful at this for a while. Got any keybindings that can help me through these trying times?

Here's my info so you can tell me whether or not its fit for playing.

Spoiler

Windows 7, 64-Bit

Intel Core i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60GHz

4 GB RAM

300 GB hard drive

4 answers to this question

I use standard WSAD for movement, but I prefer shift for crouch and control for sprint. I kept Q as Gear/emotes, E for quick melee, and F for weapon switch, but I moved Reload to one of my mouse buttons (I have a Razer Naga Hex)

I have Gear 1 (scanner) bound to another mouse button, Gear 2 (Energy Restore) bound to R, Gear 3 (Health Restore) to Z, and Gear 4 (Ammo Restore) as C. Shoot and aim are left and right click, respectively, and powers are 1-5 (as default). Equipping Melee (sword alone mode) is a button on my mouse, and channel is Left Mouse. I think that's about all the changes I made to my keybinds, but honestly trial and error is going to be your friend while you are figuring out what works for you. 

You can always just get a controller for the PC.

I use a Keypad. It's not normal but I learned on my own before WASD was a standard. Old games like Descent and Tie Fighter taught me that the arrow keys simply weren't going to cut it so that's what I adopted and these days the slanted keys of WASD setup through me off. I haven't tried to game on a laptop in a long time. I'd start with an external keyboard and mouse if anything.

As Xzorn suggested, just use your controller with the PC.  It's the setup that you're already familiar with.  You can even use your PS4 controller, but you will have to get a 3rd party software for it to work properly.  360/XB1 controllers have native support in Windows. 

The beauty of custom keybindings is the freedom to find something that works for you. For people who feel overwhelmed by the options, a very common suggestion is to move from WASD to ESDF. This gives you more keys to the left of your movement keys to bind to frequently used actions. 

Comfort is also something to keep in mind (especially if you tend to play in long sessions). For instance, I find WASD or ESDF to be somewhat awkward since my wrist doesn't sit naturally when I put my hands there. Instead, I used EWDF as my WASD equivalent. I found that literally by putting my hand on the keyboard naturally and seeing where my fingers wound up. 

Finally, you should also experiment to make sure whatever keybinds you've come up with gel together. Specifically, pay attention to whether or not you are losing inputs (specifically if you are currently pressing three or more keys at the same time). Depending on what you've bound and your specific hardware, you may or may not see this. Check out keyboard ghosting on Google if you're interested in what's going on there.

Unrelated "bonus" comment (that you might not even care about) - I almost always recommend you disable mouse acceleration for any game where precision aiming with your mouse is required. It's designed as a convenience factor to cover large amounts of screen space (the faster you move the mouse, the faster the pointer moves), but it destroys your ability to develop any sense of muscle memory when it comes to aiming. Should be an option for it in your Control Panel (Hardware > Mouse I think? I don't have Win 7 anymore...). 

Edited by Ascarith