The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is There A Way To Make The Kogake Not Suck?

Llyssa

Dude, my first match with kogake was taking it into a defense mission, managed to survive up until wave 20 with it (might have been able to go further, but a good mod popped up). It's not amazing, no, but it is very useful. For example, using a charge or jump attack to knock down ancients, then using the five hit ground finisher to do some nasty damage to them is very useful. In fact, I was able to keep a level ~30 ancient on the ground for nearly the entire time I was hitting him by timing my charge attacks right as he was almost up.

Basically, the Kogake requires a bit more skill and effort to master than most basic weapons. Sure, it's not all powerful, but it can be effective if used properly.

Besides, it's the first melee weapon I've picked up and instantly fell in love with. It's just so much fun to use when you get the hang of it. I'm sure its real potential won't shine until fully modded, but even then, I think it'll be an enjoyable ride to level 30.

It really is the only varied melee weapon.

A ground finisher that does normal strike damage instead of charge damage.

Ragdoll charge attack.

Not armor ignoring charge attack

Swing attack ragdoll attack

Kicks do 2x more damage and send targets flying *AWESOME*

Everything else is "Hold E, kill, Hold E"

Ragdoll charge attack.

Not only that, but I've noticed the charge attack doesn't break your stride that much when moving, especially when sprinting. Other weapons, if I hit a charge attack while I'm running, I come to a complete stop most of the time (unless I have a good reflex coil on there), but with the Kogake, I come to a stop for maybe a fraction of a second, kick, and then I'm off running again.

Jump attack knocks down enemies in a decent medium range, with a North Wind installed you can kill at least 3 of them using ground finishing move before the rest get up to their feet.

Charge attack knock down combined with jump attack is usually a secured kill for anything without an energy shield, no matter what level.

Slide jump is really good for getting into a crowd of enemies, that with a jump attack can buy a lot of time for you.

Normal attacks have really high crit chance, combined with Organ Shatter, True Steel, Pressure Point, and Fury it becomes a heavy crit killing machine.

Ragdoll charge attack.

Even the animation frames are far different. This thing is like every other weapon put into one.

First attack in the combo is slow, but hits harder (Or seems too.) Second one actually multi hits, in a two punch combo. Third animation is a single left hook, which seems to be normal damage, but the fourth animation is a round house kick that will hit multiple targets.

Just a quick question i'm not seeing awensered... Are you using Trinity to do those runs?... Because Trinity doesn't help at all, she's like the $#*(@ of the Warframes if you're only using melee weapons...

Actually, Trinity might be the best frame to use these. Since Kogake has really short range, hits one enemy, and doesn't stagger, the user needs to have good defensive abilities to use them effectively in a game where enemies come in hoards. Trinity, being a frame that is completely dependent on weapons for its damage, has the best tanking/redirecting damage ability, Link. It protects you while you fight one enemy out of 20 around you, and you can use their own attack to strengthen your own.

Edited by Recyclex

Actually, Trinity might be the best frame to use these. Since Kogake has really short range, hits one enemy, and doesn't stagger, the user needs to have good defensive abilities to use them effectively in a game where enemies come in hoards. Trinity, being a frame that is completely dependent on weapons for its damage, has the best tanking/redirecting damage ability, Link. It protects you while you fight one enemy out of 20 around you, and you can use their own attack to strengthen your own.

That imples he's using Trinity abilities... But what he's saying is that he's using exclusively the Kogake. That means no link kills, no Wells of Life, no Blessings... After all, how the hell can you die when the 4th skills basically makes you an unkillable badass? (Y'know, like Iron Skin used to do for Rhino.)

Kogake's playstyle is much different from most other melee weapons. Charge attacks are reserved for heavies, and generally you do the ground pound + finsher. Normal attacks are basically spammed for every other enemy. 
If you find yourself surrounded, do the jump + pound or fire off a CC skill. Unfortunately they are somewhat inefficient. This one is undeniable. Took me a while to get used to them, but I can sort of use them now. 

The problem is not the weapon. Its the person behind the screen. Getting killed on mercury because of the melee weapon is a really poor excuse....

PICNIC/PEBCAK errors much?

Also yes Kogake is meant to be a combo weapon chaining between regular and charge attacks, though the attack on downed opponents needs better detection. I can walk up to a Heavy, kick them down then unload into their skull with my Split-Chambered Boltor, they melt.

They're honestly pretty bad when you compare them to the Scindo, Dual Ether/DHS, Orthos, or Hate. Compared to everything else, I'd say they're fine. They're also probably the most fun to use. I see their true potential coming in PVP, where a charged knockdown that is very well hidden could easily catch someone off-guard.

Wow, charge attack is absolutly broken! It ragdolls enemies, but you can't hit them while they're down. Armor ignoring fast attack and high crit chance are ok, but 25 dmg and unability to buff it with mods makes this weapon a bad joke.

What is annoying to me is the fact that they looks stupid on some warframes cause they aren't even lined up with the knuckles like on the Ash warframe where they are shifted off of his knuckles if you guys are going to put a weapon in make sure it actually looks good and not make it look like it was a rushed project.

Just a quick question i'm not seeing awensered... Are you using Trinity to do those runs?... Because Trinity doesn't help at all, she's like the $#*(@ of the Warframes if you're only using melee weapons...

IMPOSSIBRU ! trinity with streamline is god mode 24hr

I don't know, I tested them out on mercury with a new, unranked warframe (banshee) on solo mode and I thought they were really awesome. It definitely helped when I unlocked sonic boom, because then I was able to knock people down and follow up with the ground takedown. Still, I assume that there going to be less impressive on later levels since quick melee has terrible mods for late game, but I imagine with crit upgrades they might do some decent damage for a good portion of the game. Personally I found a jump attack followed up by the ground takedown was much better for damage then the charge attack.

First of all, to all those people complaining about misaligned models and other graphical bugs, just stop. Please. This happens all the time when DE releases something new, and it's always fixed quickly. There's no point in complaining about it unless you're pointing out specific bugs so they can fix them faster, and if you are, do it in your own glitch/bug thread, not here.

As for the Kogake, the biggest drawback for me is the inconsistent ground attacks. Right now if you knock a target down using the Kogake's slide or charge attacks they cannot be ground executed. The ground attack is one of the big pros of this weapon; it deals very high damage and looks awesome, but the only reliable way to perform it is after a jump attack.

Also, if an enemy is on the ground it's very difficult to hit them with this weapon. Considering the charge attack does very low damage and its key purpose seems to be its ragdoll I find it silly that it can't be used to set up a ground attack. Hopefully DE will make it possible to charge/uppercut and follow it with a ground attack. It would make this weapon even more fun and a more reliable damage dealer.

As for the Kogake, the biggest drawback for me is the inconsistent ground attacks. Right now if you knock a target down using the Kogake's slide or charge attacks they cannot be ground executed. The ground attack is one of the big pros of this weapon; it deals very high damage and looks awesome, but the only reliable way to perform it is after a jump attack.

Oh, that explains a lot. Though I was just getting bugged.

If that gets fixed and the melee damage / crit mods are adjusted as well, I can see it being worth using. Now I just use it to ragdoll stuff for no reason.

I got my Kogake to rank 30, not formad, and I really enjoy it. Tremendous CC and with crit mods does decent damage with regular attacks. I mostly use it for the AoE knockdown + ground execute, or charge attack/slide attack to knock someone up, then jump attack to knock them down, then ground attack execute. The jump attack hits really hard, and getting heavies on the ground then hammering them is very effective, especially with cold mods as other people have mentioned.

No complaints with this weapon from me except the terrible charge attack damage.

Edited by Mhak

Right now if you knock a target down using the Kogake's slide or charge attacks they cannot be ground executed. 

I've seen a lot of people complaining about this, however, what I have found is that once you knocked them down with slide or charge attack, you can then do a jump attack on them which will deal more-than-normal damage that will almost always one-shot anything that doesn't have a energy shield.

And once you've done the jump attack on an enemy that has been knocked down by a slide/charge attack, they are open to the ground-execute as well.

Edited by Mhak

so far I seem to like the kogake very much.. however I do get bit frustrated with the sliding attack. i think the area of effect is to narrow.. i would rather prefer a 360 degree sweep as it would be more effective vs heavy grineer ect...

I have a kogake potatoed an i took it on a tier 3 void extermination mission. First of all it allowed me to ragdoll level 99 corrupted heavy gunnners and ancients, letting me unload on them with a potatoed modded out Dera and knocking them down again if they even survive. Normal attacks managed to kill level 50-70 corrupted quickly with crits and speed. I have a maxed pressure point, maed fury, maxed element (depending on what im fighting, as i use shock for corpus and fire for infested) a maxed crit damage increase (forgot the name) and its only rank 21 so far. Kogake is a great weapon. It just needs a bug fix (the unable to do a ground move when enemy is charge kicked or uppercutted) and the eventual buff to Pressure Point. By the way, was the buff to Pressure Point confirmed by the Devs?

I've seen a lot of people complaining about this, however, what I have found is that once you knocked them down with slide or charge attack, you can then do a jump attack on them which will deal more-than-normal damage that will almost always one-shot anything that doesn't have a energy shield.

Plus this. I noticed this after i smashed a level 40 Bombard's head in with the jump attack.

The frame I'm using is over level 25. However, you can't kill anything fast enough using these to keep the rest of them from gunning you to death, and you have zero mobility while using them. You're stuck as stationary target while you punch a single soldier to death in front of his buddies.

There doesn't seem to be any way to mitigate that, and a dozen grineer shooting you at once while you are totally unable to dodge or do anything about them makes even the little weakling ones dangerous.

Try it for yourself--get some kogake, take off your sentinel, and use ONLY the kogake to kill things.You aren't going to enjoy the experience at all.

For reference: I've used the same build, same frame, and soloed phoroid successfully without dying. It's entirely the weapon.

Well, as Slifar said, melee is never a good choice if the weapon itself isn't buffed at ridiculous level.Kogake is a one enemy at a time melee.

It's good against heavy target for the staggering and for the knockdown,it sucks against large groups,but it's comprehensible, how in the galaxy you would be as effective and deadly with your hands and feet as with a huge battleaxe in a brawl?

I love kogake,and it's perfect how it is.You are simply pretending the weapon to be good in any situation,wich is plain boring;or you are using it like other weapons, with only charge attack.