Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rifle Tips

Freysora

Question

7 answers to this question

Karak is pretty good and easy to craft, and really accurate, it was my first riffle back then, it got me far enough through the solar system.

That said, boltor is also pretty niffty, but it has travel time so you'll have to give some consideration (although not by much) when aiming at moving targets

Boltor is puncture based mostly so it's great againts armored units like most grineer, karak's mostly impact so it's good againta shieled enemies

2 minutes ago, (PS4)watt4hem said:

Karak is pretty good and easy to craft, and really accurate, it was my first riffle back then, it got me far enough through the solar system.

That said, boltor is also pretty niffty, but it has travel time so you'll have to give some consideration (although not by much) when aiming at moving targets

Boltor is puncture based mostly so it's great againts armored units like most grineer, karak's mostly impact so it's good againta shieled enemies

i want a boltor actually, but then i got a karak blueprint. which is considerable. thanks for the suggestion

While the Prime version is great, regular Boltor I just never found all that impressive;
Karak is a solid weapon but the "basic Assault Rifle" category
has better alternatives (e.g. Braton Prime / Karak Wraith).

If you want an early (MR2) automatic Primary that you can invest a Catalyst and some Forma in
without it being a waste thanks to an upgraded version being available eventually,
you could try Kohm. Full-auto crowd-shredding Shotgun? Yes please.

General rifle tips...

like anything else, mods are the key so you need to get the usual suspects to really make any rifle shine... shred, elementals, serration, crit mods are a good core starting set.

Generally, the higher the fire rate, the worse the gun scales as enemy get tougher.   Anything works with enough mods on non-endless maps/runs or raids/daily.   There is a happy medium.  The really slow shooting guns are challenging to use (sniper rifles, mostly) and the really fast stuff burns out your ammo too fast.  Stick to the stuff in the middle -- the burst guns and avoid most guns that shoot significantly faster than soma. 

Generally speaking, crit chance is key to how well it will scale towards higher level enemy.   This is why you see a lot of somas and similar weapons. 

There are exceptions to all these rules of thumb and you will want to experiment with cheap/free weapons to understand what you like and so on.  These are just really rough guidelines toward what makes a gun "good" or not at higher levels.   You won't notice these things until the enemy are in the low 30s or higher, that is when it starts to really show.   Boltor, mentioned above, is an example... it does well in spite of the lack of crit.  

My favorite rifles are what I call "semi-snipers".    Sybaris for example is one of my all time favorites.   I use bows for sniping though, most of the sniper rifles don't do it for me.  Bows are technically rifles (most mods shared). 

Go ahead and make what you can ... crafting materials are easy enough to get.  Try everything you can get for "free" (no real money).   The only way to get mastery ranks and to learn what you like to use is to try stuff.   Don't forget ... your guild's stores have more blueprints for a number of nice weapons.