Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New player help - Valkyr and Frost

DageWasTaken

Question

Hi. I'm fairly new to Warframe. I just have a few questions, because I think I'm missing something... I just crafted Valkyr and Frost will be done in a couple of days, adding that I have Rhino and Excalibur already.

I'm attracted to, for the lack of a better word, bruiser-type of Warframes. Just really tanky Warframes that lay a beatdown, nothing fancy just beatdown. I'm currently using Valkyr but despite her 600 armor, I get beaten down incredibly fast. What mods am I supposed to equip Valkyr with? I researched on the internet but all the mods are incredibly hard to get, or rather not to at the capacity I can do, and are clearly meant for end-game players. The only mod I do have is "narrow minded". So I'm looking for mods more up my speed.

On the same note; what mods should I put on Frost?

Thank you! Sorry if I sound like a total noob (which I am). I just had a lot shoved into me from the start of this game, it does't quite explain things. It just drops me off, expecting me to know everything.

Thanks again!

12 answers to this question

Sadly, Valkyr is one of those frames who does need certain mods to function well. Best advice I can offer is to get Vitality and steel fiber up as much as you can. See if you can find a rage and continuity mod as well.

For frost, I find he does well with the Vitality steel fiber combo as well, but I like a good range and duration build.

Edited by DeejayPwny

You are going to need to have redirection & vitality since you don't have any survivability mods. Same goes with frost imo rank up redirection and vitality first or put a little in those 2 mods so you have a nice increase in both shields and hp. I believe after you finish vors prize you should get a broken streamline that can only be ranked up three times, it'll be nice for starting so you can use your abilities and have a bit of power efficiency.

Also how is your play style with those two frames like do you want to use Valkyr to mainly use her 4th skill, same with Frost do you want him more for protecting areas ? This way I can list builds towards how they should be built 

Edited by SolaireTheSunWalker

For newer players, the modding aspect is the hardest part of the game. It takes a great deal of time just to acquire the mods you need for your builds. And more time still to be able to rank even one of them up to a satisfactory level.

This game is a series of long-term projects all piling up at once; you need to determine what area you're going to focus on first and work toward that. Other projects will start sorting themselves out a little as you go and once you hit a wall with your first, you can change your focus to a different direction.

Early on, accumulate as much stuff as you can and hold on to it; make acquaintances and friendships with other players and trade to get what you need. There's always someone willing to trade what you have for what you need.

Once you have the mods available, then the hard part becomes figuring out which ones to use. Learn as soon as you can what the different values and stats on weapons and warframes mean. Then start comparing them to other members in the same category; you'll find out which mods are best suited to which weapons a lot easier that way when you can tell off the bat if a weapon or warframe is a good fit for a damage or armor mod, or if it'll be better suited to a different mod than what you have there now.

Early on with limited mod choices though, put the most useful mod you have on and keep oputting more on in a descending level of usefulness. It's far from optimal, but if it's the best you can do, it's what you have to work with for the time being...

Above all, use the vast resources of the community to get help if you need it, don't be afraid to ask even if some less-reputable members deride you for your lack of knowledge. Most players are happy to help if you ask. :clem:

You should probably focus on ranking up your vitality and steel fiber mods first. You don't have to get them all the way to rank 10. They work well on all bruiser frames.

That's really all you can focus on unless you start getting rarer mods.

Life strike and rage are really nice to have and you can get them for ~15 plat each. Farming them would probably just be too frustrating.
You can get plat by selling corrupted mods or syndicate mods and weapons. On Valkyr you probably want eternal war and on Rhino you want Iron shrapnel. Those are syndicate mods that improve warcry and iron skin.

On Frost you should use vitality and steel fiber for defense. Having stretch is also nice, so the bubble is big enough to actually protect something. After that get some efficiency. The last mods depend on what you want to do with him. If you want to focus on the bubble go with strength mods and if you want to go for CC you can use overextended and duration mods.

If you have the mods needed, you can also try to keep Valkyrs 4 active all the time. This way you stay completely invulnerable, but you have to be careful with nullifiers, etc. If you manage to do that you can drop your other defensive mods.

Also when you are running around with a melee wepaon try blocking when running towards the enemies.

34 minutes ago, DeejayPwny said:

Sadly, Valkyr is one of those frames who does need certain mods to function well. Best advice I can offer is to get Vitality and steel fiber up as much as you can. See if you can find a rage and continuity mod as well.

For frost, I find he does well with the Vitality steel fiber combo as well, but I like a good range and duration build.

Oh, I see. So Valkyr does require a huge deal of work to get her going. Checking my items though, I do own Rage and Continuity. I think I got Rage from Draco. Thank you for the input, I'll keep them in mid.

30 minutes ago, SolaireTheSunWalker said:

You are going to need to have redirection & vitality since you don't have any survivability mods. Same goes with frost imo rank up redirection and vitality first or put a little in those 2 mods so you have a nice increase in both shields and hp. I believe after you finish vors prize you should get a broken streamline that can only be ranked up three times, it'll be nice for starting so you can use your abilities and have a bit of power efficiency.

Also how is your play style with those two frames like do you want to use Valkyr to mainly use her 4th skill, same with Frost do you want him more for protecting areas ? This way I can list builds towards how they should be built 

I already own the Streamline, Continuity, and Flow. I assumed they were mandatory for lowbies like me.

For playstyles, I assumed Valkyr was the epitome of a bruiser. Just run into the enemy with a melee weapon in hand and just wipe the floor with them. Unfortunately, my health drops too fast and I have to resort to Hysteria to keep me out of death. Until I run out of energy, that is.

I got Frost because I heard he was tanky and good for defense missions because of the dome. So, I'm mostly going to use him for that purpose.

21 minutes ago, FLSH_BNG said:

For newer players, the modding aspect is the hardest part of the game. It takes a great deal of time just to acquire the mods you need for your builds. And more time still to be able to rank even one of them up to a satisfactory level.

This game is a series of long-term projects all piling up at once; you need to determine what area you're going to focus on first and work toward that. Other projects will start sorting themselves out a little as you go and once you hit a wall with your first, you can change your focus to a different direction.

Early on, accumulate as much stuff as you can and hold on to it; make acquaintances and friendships with other players and trade to get what you need. There's always someone willing to trade what you have for what you need.

Once you have the mods available, then the hard part becomes figuring out which ones to use. Learn as soon as you can what the different values and stats on weapons and warframes mean. Then start comparing them to other members in the same category; you'll find out which mods are best suited to which weapons a lot easier that way when you can tell off the bat if a weapon or warframe is a good fit for a damage or armor mod, or if it'll be better suited to a different mod than what you have there now.

Early on with limited mod choices though, put the most useful mod you have on and keep oputting more on in a descending level of usefulness. It's far from optimal, but if it's the best you can do, it's what you have to work with for the time being...

Above all, use the vast resources of the community to get help if you need it, don't be afraid to ask even if some less-reputable members deride you for your lack of knowledge. Most players are happy to help if you ask. :clem:

Oh wow. I'm not exactly sure how to respond to this. Thanks for the incredible input. Made me think a lot on how I will approach this game. I guess Warframe isn't your typical game where everything is handed to you on a silver platter. The grind is definitely present. I guess I couldn't realize it because of how much action and fun factor the game has to offer.

Thank you, very much. I'll keep this in mind, and it'll help me on which direction I will take this game in from now on. And yeah, modding is hard. But everyone tells me the key to this game is in modding.

20 minutes ago, (XB1)FingerFlikenBoy said:

Play Frost, and only Frost.......he's chill

Hehe. Puns.

5 minutes ago, gluih said:

You should probably focus on ranking up your vitality and steel fiber mods first. You don't have to get them all the way to rank 10. They work well on all bruiser frames.

That's really all you can focus on unless you start getting rarer mods.

Life strike and rage are really nice to have and you can get them for ~15 plat each. Farming them would probably just be too frustrating.
You can get plat by selling corrupted mods or syndicate mods and weapons. On Valkyr you probably want eternal war and on Rhino you want Iron shrapnel. Those are syndicate mods that improve warcry and iron skin.

On Frost you should use vitality and steel fiber for defense. Having stretch is also nice, so the bubble is big enough to actually protect something. After that get some efficiency. The last mods depend on what you want to do with him. If you want to focus on the bubble go with strength mods and if you want to go for CC you can use overextended and duration mods.

If you have the mods needed, you can also try to keep Valkyrs 4 active all the time. This way you stay completely invulnerable, but you have to be careful with nullifiers, etc. If you manage to do that you can drop your other defensive mods.

Also when you are running around with a melee wepaon try blocking when running towards the enemies.

I already own Rage, I just got it from Draco, if I recall correctly, not even intentionally. Does Rage proc on Valkyr when she's in Hysteria? I mean, she is "invulnerable" right? I'll try hunting for Life Strike.

I joined the Steel Meridian specifically for Rhino, since his augments are there. I'm happy that Frost's are there too. Win-Win I guess.

I'll try suiting Frost up with just basic mods, I guess Valkyr will have to wait for a bit until I can flesh out the mods she needs. Thanks for the answer.

I didn't expect answers this fast and well constructed ones too, not just one liners or links. Incredible community you guys have here.

Inaros will most likely fill your definition of "bruiser" best. He has extremely high HP, decent armor and multiple easy ways to heal. He's locked behind Void Trader though. Don't know how farming for Baro's stuff looks from new player perspective.

On Valkyr I can't really help you because she's not my type of warframe. Though she needs high rank Vitality, Steel Fiber and Rage.

For your bruisers you also want Life Strike mod.

Frosty doesn't require fancy modding to perform well.

From my experience you want range and efficiency first. I don't think power strength is really important but you want neutral duration. Since he's fairly durable it may be good idea to get Vitality and Steel Fiber. Rage helps too. He also has decent augment mods. But since you're new player I don't think you have access to them.

So I'd say Stretch, Streamline, Vitality, Steel Fiber and Rage are basics for him.

Also, if you ever need to check something, Warframe Wiki is your best friend

Edited by Slaviar

46 minutes ago, Xzorn said:

Honestly, if you like Bruisers work on getting Chroma. He's actually the only legit Bruiser by definition in the game.

I'm currently on the last mission of the new strange, where I have to defeat Chroma. Unfortunately, the defense mission is too much for me, as they just destroy the objective. I think I need Frost for this one. But Chroma is certainly on my list, probably number one, but out of my reach.

21 minutes ago, Slaviar said:

Inaros will most likely fill your definition of "bruiser" best. He has extremely high HP, decent armor and multiple easy ways to heal. He's locked behind Void Trader though. Don't know how farming for Baro's stuff looks from new player perspective.

On Valkyr I can't really help you because she's not my type of warframe. Though she needs high rank Vitality, Steel Fiber and Rage.

For your bruisers you also want Life Strike mod.

Frosty doesn't require fancy modding to perform well.

From my experience you want range and efficiency first. I don't think power strength is really important but you want neutral duration. Since he's fairly durable it may be good idea to get Vitality and Steel Fiber. Rage helps too. He also has decent augment mods. But since you're new player I don't think you have access to them.

So I'd say Stretch, Streamline, Vitality, Steel Fiber and Rage are basics for him.

Also, if you ever need to check something, Warframe Wiki is your best friend

Innaros is the mummy, if I recall correctly. He's not really a hit for me, he seems incredibly gimmicky, if I would so boldly say. I'm aiming for just simple Warframes. Rhino and Valkyr being prime examples; just buff yourself and charge head on.

Thanks for the tips. I guess Vitality and Steel Fiber are my go-to, for now. Happy to know Frost doesn't require much to be at least decent enough to stand on his own.

I'm actually stuck on the Syndicate promotion, since I need a Forma to get to the next rank. My Steel Meridian standing is stuck at 22,000 for the meantime. But I'll be sure to check out the augments as soon as I can. Thank you!

Edited by DageWasTaken

5 minutes ago, DageWasTaken said:

Innaros is he mummy, if I recall correctly. He's not really a hit for me, he seems incredibly gimmicky, if I would so boldly say. I'm aiming for just simple Warframes. Rhino and Valkyr being prime examples; just buff yourself and charge head on.

Don't be fooled by Inaros' desert/mummy theme. He's toughest warframe at the moment and he's perfect for melee play. His first ability opens mobs for melee finishers and he replenishes his health by finisher kills. His gameplay is rather simple as well, unless you play vs Corpus. You just charge your 4th ability and go on melee rampage

40 minutes ago, DageWasTaken said:

I'm currently on the last mission of the new strange, where I have to defeat Chroma. Unfortunately, the defense mission is too much for me, as they just destroy the objective. I think I need Frost for this one. But Chroma is certainly on my list, probably number one, but out of my reach.

If I recall that's Corpus so it's no wonder. Corpus are OP right now if you try to legit fight them as any new player would.

I think I can  help you clear that, I'm not sure how the quest replay works. Never tried it. Just msg me in game if you want to try.

You mentioned Busier and Chroma is the only frame that actually wants to get hit and punishes enemies for hitting him. He's stupidly strong in damage output and defense but he lacks CC for group value. He's mostly a solo frame. He puts Valkyr to shame though even if his buff upkeep can be tedious at times.

Also, if you go with some extra Range + Duration for Excalibur's Blind or Rhino's Stomp it should make that mission more solo-able.

Edited by Xzorn

1 hour ago, DageWasTaken said:

I already own Rage, I just got it from Draco, if I recall correctly, not even intentionally. Does Rage proc on Valkyr when she's in Hysteria? I mean, she is "invulnerable" right? I'll try hunting for Life Strike.

I joined the Steel Meridian specifically for Rhino, since his augments are there. I'm happy that Frost's are there too. Win-Win I guess.

I'll try suiting Frost up with just basic mods, I guess Valkyr will have to wait for a bit until I can flesh out the mods she needs. Thanks for the answer.

I used to get a lot of life strikes on long hieracon runs. You can probably still get it there. Frost is going to help a lot there to keep the excavators alive. At the same time you also get a lot of endo, credits and relics + some other nice mods.

Rage doesn't do anything while hysteria is active. When I use valkyr I rarely use hysteria however. I usually use her to have fun with a specific melee weapon and focus on tanking and duration for warcry.

I would be careful with chroma btw. He is very strong, but he always has a bit of a problem when his buffs run out and you have to stack his 3 back up. You also want some very specific builds when playing him.
Inaros is definitly very strong and very tanky. He also has a lot of healing, so you don't really need life strike when playing him.