Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Regarding EULA - Reading Trade Chat Externally?

Makeshift27015

Hi guys,

Now before this starts triggering off any alarms or anything, I have yet to try any of this. This is purely speculation and exactly why I'm asking. I have 600 hours in the game and really really don't want to be banned.

I'm a software developer, cyber security engineering student and an old Eve Online junkie. This means that I think the worlds greatest gift is API's for games, because it means I can nerd out, make programs, make spreadsheets and just generally be an old man with my data.

With this in mind, trade chat sucks. Obviously there's a lot of other things that could be improved if we had access to API's, but trade chat is a fair place to start. My idea is to be able to live export trade chat into my own application that applies regex filters to help me find things I want - But that isn't incredibly relevant right now. I know places like warframe.market exist and other ways of trying to "simplify" the trading process, but they're not quite what I'm after.

I basically have a couple of questions for any dev's or community managers of WF regarding these parts of the EULA:

reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise derive source code or game data from the Software or reduce the Software to a human-readable form, except to the extent that such actions are expressly permitted by applicable law;

use any unauthorized third-party software that intercepts, “mines”, or otherwise collects information from, within or through the Software or Service, including without limitation, any software that reads areas of RAM used by the Software to store information about a character, in-game items or the Software environment; provided, however, that Digital Extremes may, in its sole discretion, allow the use of specified third party user interfaces;

Obviously, this is very clear in that I'm not allowed either of my ideas:
1) Reading packet data for incoming chat packets or
2) Reading memory for chat data

However, the piece at the bottom interests me greatly. "in its sole discretion, allow the use of specified third party user interfaces". Are there any examples of that happening? Is there anybody I could talk to about that? Promise I won't tell anyone?

Alternatively, are there any PERMITTED ways of me accessing chat data, or for that matter, any other data externally?

And lastly, will the API's that are used on the phone app be made public at any point?(at least a limited version, since I doubt you want automated foundry management)

I know I'm going to get a ton of people telling me "NOPE!", but I'd like to hear it from an admin if possible, just to ease my mind. I really love building apps to help me nerd out with games, especially such a collectors paradise as Warframe. If I were permitted to make software/webapps to help, and it were allowed, I'd definitely make them open source so they can be built upon and improved.

Edit: Looking at my EE.log shows that chat is actually an IRC server. Am I permitted to take advantage of that?

Cheers guys.

Edited by Makeshift27015

There's absolutely no way you could do this legally.

The community is huge, if it was possible, someone would have done something similar already, because—believe it or not, you're not "the only one" finding trade chat a mess. That's why things like http://warframe.market/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/wartrade/ exist.

If you really REALLY want to do this, your best shot is writing an e-mail to a Digital Extremes employee directly.

11 minutes ago, at35z said:

There's absolutely no way you could do this legally.

The community is huge, if it was possible, someone would have done something similar already, because—believe it or not, you're not "the only one" finding trade chat a mess. That's why things like http://warframe.market/ or https://www.reddit.com/r/wartrade/ exist.

If you really REALLY want to do this, your best shot is writing an e-mail to a Digital Extremes employee directly.

Oh no I'm totally aware. The reason I'm posting it in public forums is I'm hoping to see if there is any more support for something a little bit more direct than those services. I'm really hoping a DE employee could message me, but I also hope that others interested can be kept in the loop.

I just found out from browsing the EE.log file that the chat servers are actually IRC based, which is both cool as hell and super easy to use(Hell I've even built IRC servers before). I'm really hoping for permission to be able to connect to the IRC chat server, as that should circumvent all the dangers to DE and any possibility of breaking the EULA.

29 minutes ago, Makeshift27015 said:

I just found out from browsing the EE.log file that the chat servers are actually IRC based, which is both cool as hell and super easy to use(Hell I've even built IRC servers before). I'm really hoping for permission to be able to connect to the IRC chat server, as that should circumvent all the dangers to DE and any possibility of breaking the EULA.

Best bet is directly asking in a Support Ticket. I (we)'d appreciate if you'd share any news on this.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't find the follow thread button in the mobile forums so I'm posting to auto enable the follow. I am curious about what you find out. 

I know there are some api's that players are using for tracking alerts/invasions/Baro visits/earth day and night/ and darksectors (discontinued). Deathsnacks has made both a website and Android app. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...