Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To status or not to status (on medium % melee)

CityOfTrees

Question

I'm lately maxing out many of my crit based melee weapon.s

Seeing as they're, well, crit based, it means they will be getting berserkered up and hitting fast.

Many of these weapons have 15% or 20% status chance, meaning a full build can get it up to 50 ish.

So, is it better to go crit and raw damage, or hybrid status? 

Currently inspecting ichors and dual kamas prime.

8 answers to this question

Entirely Depends on the level range of enemies you're fighting, the Damage type you're doing and if you have stealth modifiers or buffs available.

To compare the weapons you listed Dual Kamas and Dual Ichors. Dual Ichors win hands down. Any Toxic based weapon has a huge advantage against other weapon types in majority of situations. For Armor you go pure Corrosive / Status Corrosive, For Corpus you go Status Gas / Pure Toxic, for Infested you go Corrosive.

Prisma Dual Cleavers are actually a closer race to Dual Ichors. Dual Ichor still tops out better eventually but PDC come very close when you add bleed damage.

The level range at which you should swap something like Dual Ichors from front-end damage to status depends on if you have a buff or stealth going. In my experience using stealth allows a crit based weapon to perform better in kill rates until around lvl 100. The best melee are of course ones that can do both crit and status like Dual Ichor or PDC. Weeping Wounds + 60/60x2 is ideal for crit status builds and you can still keep Blood Rush / Organ Shatter / Berserk.

Crit- and status-viable weapons (let alone those capable of both) rely on their raw damage to adjust their final damage output, crits more-so. Personally, if the crit percentage is higher, I make it a crit weapon. If the status is higher, I make it a status weapon. I've not really come across a weapon where I could do both and get a good result.

always try to go hybrid crit and elemental (not necessarily status).  remember, elemental itself is on every hit and can give you a % dps boost depending on the faction.  You don't necessarily need to proc the status effect - that's more like the "crit version of elemental".  As long as you have the proper elemental on to get that extra damage boost, you can double up on the critical, even if the base status chance is 5%.  

19 minutes ago, NinjaKitsune56 said:

Crit- and status-viable weapons (let alone those capable of both) rely on their raw damage to adjust their final damage output, crits more-so. Personally, if the crit percentage is higher, I make it a crit weapon. If the status is higher, I make it a status weapon. I've not really come across a weapon where I could do both and get a good result.

Atterax, Mios, Jat Kittag and Vaykor Sydon are well known hybrid weapons. I may have forgotten some.

The ones I use have less in the way of status though. It has me facing tough calculations over which is better.

7 minutes ago, BeeOverlord said:

Atterax, Mios, Jat Kittag and Vaykor Sydon are well known hybrid weapons. I may have forgotten some.

The ones I use have less in the way of status though. It has me facing tough calculations over which is better.

Well-known as hybrids, yes... whether they're actually used as both at once... debatable.

it depends on what Damage Types you'll have.

Crit is important for DoT Status Effects.
some Status Effects can be very beneficial in addition to your Damage.

a mixture is great on more Weapons than one may think... especially considering the difference between a Status Elemental and a usual one is actually not that huge.

if the Melee Weapon won't be applying any notable DoT, and you definitely won't desire Status Effects of any type (whether that be CC or other types of debuff Effects)... then sure you don't have any reason to consider Status Elementals.

Just now, NinjaKitsune56 said:

whether they're actually used as both at once... debatable.

true, some Players don't bother fiddling with their Loadouts to get the best of everything.

Edited by taiiat

I run naramon, so I will always have access to stealth.

So I guess status is indeed a better choice.

Thanks yall.

Thanks for mentioning other weps btw. I was generally just listing some weapons I had on mind, honestly, I have the PDC.

Edited by BeeOverlord