Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do I mod the sobek?

CheeseLord18

Question

Hey everyone! I'm an MR 8 player and I've been using the sobek as my main weapon for a long time now, I have installed a potato as well as 4 forma on it. I also have Acid Shells and Shattering Justice mods. I'm having trouble modding it right however. I've been testing a bunch of builds on the simulacrum but the difference between them is so minimal that I don't really seem to decide with which one to go.

10 answers to this question

Sobek's my current favorite shotgun.  I wasn't too keen about it when I was leveling it, but the introduction of Acid Shells made it more fun.  I still don't like the extremely slow loading speed, but the positives out weight the negatives.

This is what I have.  It's not optimal, but it works well for me in game. 

Primed Point Blank
Hell's Chamber
Acid Shells
Seeking Fury
Shattering Justice
Blaze
2x 60% dual stat elemental mods, change depending on faction, of course...

I have three Formas so far and I'm considering shoving a few more Formas in if I want to change the dual stat elemental mods to 90% damage mods.  Sobek is more of a crowd control/crowd killing shotgun, and Seeking Fury with its punch through helps that as well as help with the reloading speed.  I use Shattering Justice mainly for the proc as another crowd control method.  I normally bring a good single target killer secondary to deal with single targets.

Point Blank, Hell's Chamber, and Acid Shells (Blaze because I like 60% overall damage in addition to the 60% heat damage) are essential, but you are more than welcome to switch the others out based on your play style.

3 hours ago, ashrah said:

sobek is status wepon so u wish status element mods... seeking fury. is very good...scattering justice.acid shell

The sobek is NOT a status weapon.  Shotguns that can not achieve 100% status before multishot (like the sobek) should be modded for pure damage or crit in the case of the vaykor hek.

Now really this is a failing of the Scattering Justice mod in not work properly at adding base status chance.  It merely adds a flat +20%.  This is why people say they run this mod purely for the syndicate proc.  The status increase is basically pointless.

6 hours ago, (PS4)Agent_CHAR said:

The sobek is NOT a status weapon.  Shotguns that can not achieve 100% status before multishot (like the sobek) should be modded for pure damage or crit in the case of the vaykor hek.

Now really this is a failing of the Scattering Justice mod in not work properly at adding base status chance.  It merely adds a flat +20%.  This is why people say they run this mod purely for the syndicate proc.  The status increase is basically pointless.

Yeah the augment is only worth if you want the synd effect for some reason

13 hours ago, (PS4)lhbuch said:

Yeah the augment is only worth if you want the synd effect for some reason

The reason is simply the way status works on shotguns.  If you can't get to 100% then don't bother.  Perhaps the best way to show this is comparing the math between the augment adding a flat 20% (what it does) vs it adding +20% to base (what it should do).

The base is 15% on the sobek and if we use four 60% status elements...

15% + 4x (15 x 60%) + 20% == 15 + 4x9 + 20 == 71%

vs

(15%+20%) + 4x (35 x 60%) == 35 + 4x21 == 119%

If the augment did the bottom *then* you could consider the sobek a status shotgun and the augment would serve a purpose beyond adding a syndicate proc.

As an aside, I consider the proc to be *very* good and would never not run the augment.  Restoring 25% of max health, adding 25% armor and a guaranteed stagger in a 25 m radius.  I'll take that without question, but it would be even nicer if the mod worked the way it should. 

It is kind of telling that the augment is a failure when they added acid shells to the game to further help an underused weapon.  The augment by itself didn't go far enough.