Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Grineer-based frame?

Bryntwulf

Hello fellow daydreamers, I just wanted to ask if there have been any interesting concepts for Grineer-based Warframes? So far we have Valkyr, who has a Corpus theme, and an upcoming Infested frame. If there arent any, do you have any ideas that come to mind? What sort of playstyle do you think a grineer frame would have? 

Valkyr is really the opposite of a Corpus-themed Warframe - Corpus favour shields and high tech weaponry, while Valkyr has no Shields, relying on durability and savage, close-quarters combat.

There's the amazing Tennogen skins by Faven that lend a Grineer aesthetic to Warframes. As far as how one might play - you could really stretch to get some ideas, but really they're just militaristic soldiers, so any Warframe that uses their weaponry should have access to their abilities.

Okay, I guess I would need the explain my thoughts on this a bit further. I'm going to have to begin with a spoiler warning for anyone who has not completed all story quests to date. 

So, in The War Within, it was revealed that the Tenno, Grineer, and Corpus are all descendants of the Orokin. Logic would dictate that Corpus and Grineer technology would have to have a sort of basis in Orokin tech, correct? Technically, the Grineer troops are all clones of a small group of slaves, with genetic imprints that has significantly degraded, but that's another topic for another time. So, we take a look at the Grineer armor design and take a few steps back, undo what they have changed with their own designs until we're left with a design that would appear to be the source of inspiration for the Grineer combat armor(s). Doing this would be similar to trying to get the Fragor Prime Design from the Brokk, but it can be done. 

This frame, which inspired the Grineer armor design, would be well-known among the Grineer, just as most humans know of Norse and Greek gods. Maybe it would be the source of some of their battlefield tactics, like deployable barricades, grenades, the ability to "blink" through the battlefield(flameblade, commander, Corrupted Vor), jetpacks and missile barrages, enviromental hazards, and even the ability to give certain weapons target-tracking abilities. Now, I know there are frames with similar abilities, like Atlas' rockwall, Ashs Teleport, Vaubans assortment of Grenades, and Ivaras pathfinder, but there isnt a frame that is built to use any of this ability in conjunction. Maybe a frame built more around the concept of battlefield planning? Sounds like it would be a fun idea to plan around with.

2 hours ago, KyoBladezen said:

Okay, I guess I would need the explain my thoughts on this a bit further. I'm going to have to begin with a spoiler warning for anyone who has not completed all story quests to date. 

So, in The War Within, it was revealed that the Tenno, Grineer, and Corpus are all descendants of the Orokin. Logic would dictate that Corpus and Grineer technology would have to have a sort of basis in Orokin tech, correct? Technically, the Grineer troops are all clones of a small group of slaves, with genetic imprints that has significantly degraded, but that's another topic for another time. So, we take a look at the Grineer armor design and take a few steps back, undo what they have changed with their own designs until we're left with a design that would appear to be the source of inspiration for the Grineer combat armor(s). Doing this would be similar to trying to get the Fragor Prime Design from the Brokk, but it can be done. 

This frame, which inspired the Grineer armor design, would be well-known among the Grineer, just as most humans know of Norse and Greek gods. Maybe it would be the source of some of their battlefield tactics, like deployable barricades, grenades, the ability to "blink" through the battlefield(flameblade, commander, Corrupted Vor), jetpacks and missile barrages, enviromental hazards, and even the ability to give certain weapons target-tracking abilities. Now, I know there are frames with similar abilities, like Atlas' rockwall, Ashs Teleport, Vaubans assortment of Grenades, and Ivaras pathfinder, but there isnt a frame that is built to use any of this ability in conjunction. Maybe a frame built more around the concept of battlefield planning? Sounds like it would be a fun idea to plan around with.

Grineer were basically industrialized meat clones for the sake of industrial strength, to begin with anyway.  So orokin tech?  Maybe.  Definitely not the high tech though.

Corpus are basically the paper pushers, salesmen, and researchers (partially out of necessity as it stands) so again not THAT strong of Orokin ties.

The reason "Infested frame" is a thing is because technically ALL warframes are infested.  That's not even a spoiler just ACTUALLY look at the resource requirements on frames.  Infested frame just puts more "bio" in biological/bio-engineered warfare.

What you're actually asking for is playable grineer, potentially interesting but an aspect that would require a LOT more fleshing out than "grineer frame".

Actually, I'm more asking for a frame that, for lack of a better word, is "tactical". Throw down walls for cover, grenades for dealing with clustered enemies, short range mobility ability, and maybe an ult that's a bit like an extra-flashy hellion. We have a lot of frames, but none of them fit that archetypical soldier role. I mean, it's not the most interesting or outlandish frame idea, but it's a niche that I feel needs to be filled, kind of like what Soldier 76 did for Overwatch. 

3 hours ago, KyoBladezen said:

Actually, I'm more asking for a frame that, for lack of a better word, is "tactical". Throw down walls for cover, grenades for dealing with clustered enemies, short range mobility ability, and maybe an ult that's a bit like an extra-flashy hellion. We have a lot of frames, but none of them fit that archetypical soldier role. I mean, it's not the most interesting or outlandish frame idea, but it's a niche that I feel needs to be filled, kind of like what Soldier 76 did for Overwatch. 

Actually the closest frame that come to that is vauban.

6 hours ago, KyoBladezen said:

3 hours ago, (PS4)sew310 said:

Actually the closest frame that come to that is vauban.

Or an electric shield volt with a tonkor.  Not necessarily "tactical" but about the closest you're gonna get besides something like vauban.  Not sure how a "soldier" frame design would even look but having it based on the grineer would be a mistake in my opinion due to mechanical differences between them namely ammo, gear, and armor plating vs. space magic.

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 1:27 AM, AdunSaveMe said:

A grineer frame wouldn't make any sense though.

Valkyr isn't even a corpus frame. She's vaguely corpus-related. She has a couple of corpus things bolted on her, and her backstory is about them, but that's it.

Why wouldn't it you say this everytime but never explain it.

I feel a grineer themed frame is a good idea, they could base it's powers off some of the things Grineer have.  Maybe the ultimate would let the frame hover and fire missles.  It would have to have high armor and a good amount of health.  In their social hierarchy the females are dominate so I assume if they had such a thing it would probably be revered or worshipped and female.  We already have too many tanky Warframes though, Maybe they could just make a alternate skin for Inaros or Rhino.  LoL trying to imagine a female grineer version of Inaros...lol

Edited by (PS4)Azoth17

On Saturday, December 03, 2016 at 4:38 AM, Irorone said:

Grineer were basically industrialized meat clones for the sake of industrial strength, to begin with anyway.  So orokin tech?  Maybe.  Definitely not the high tech though.

Corpus are basically the paper pushers, salesmen, and researchers (partially out of necessity as it stands) so again not THAT strong of Orokin ties.

The reason "Infested frame" is a thing is because technically ALL warframes are infested.  That's not even a spoiler just ACTUALLY look at the resource requirements on frames.  Infested frame just puts more "bio" in biological/bio-engineered warfare.

What you're actually asking for is playable grineer, potentially interesting but an aspect that would require a LOT more fleshing out than "grineer frame".

No one wants to play as a literal grineer. The title itself says grineer based frame. Not warframe based grineer. 

2 hours ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

No one wants to play as a literal grineer. The title itself says grineer based frame. Not warframe based grineer. 

Except there are ways to make playing a grineer awesome.  Space marines of varying types aren't popular in warhammer 40k for nothing.  The effort to design said experience is the actual reason we won't likely see playable characters from the other factions and perspective, at least anytime soon.  Also don't make assumptions on what people do and do not want to play when you're talking about a game with this massive a playerbase.

Making a warframe based on the grineer that doesn't seem like it was for the sake of a gimmick?  That would actually be the taller order in my book.  A soldier based frame I could see, a grineer based warframe not so much.

Also before being so stickler about OP's thread title you may want to keep in mind

1.  He thought valkyr was BASED on the corpus (no, has lore relating to them but not BASED on them)

2.  Infested frame actually makes some degree of sense because technocyte is the core material of virtually EVERY frame so far.

3.  He wants "tactical" in its play style.  That's not gonna happen unless you implement cooldown based charges in a game where if you have the energy you can cast it.  Basically actually making a grineer based play perspective would actually be easier than making a space magic ninja play like a space not-so-magic marine.

Edited by Irorone

8 hours ago, Irorone said:

Except there are ways to make playing a grineer awesome.  Space marines of varying types aren't popular in warhammer 40k for nothing.  The effort to design said experience is the actual reason we won't likely see playable characters from the other factions and perspective, at least anytime soon.  Also don't make assumptions on what people do and do not want to play when you're talking about a game with this massive a playerbase.

Making a warframe based on the grineer that doesn't seem like it was for the sake of a gimmick?  That would actually be the taller order in my book.  A soldier based frame I could see, a grineer based warframe not so much.

Also before being so stickler about OP's thread title you may want to keep in mind

1.  He thought valkyr was BASED on the corpus (no, has lore relating to them but not BASED on them)

2.  Infested frame actually makes some degree of sense because technocyte is the core material of virtually EVERY frame so far.

3.  He wants "tactical" in its play style.  That's not gonna happen unless you implement cooldown based charges in a game where if you have the energy you can cast it.  Basically actually making a grineer based play perspective would actually be easier than making a space magic ninja play like a space not-so-magic marine.

Valkyr has a corpus aesthetic. (Kara helmet) Do any of her moves even closely resemble what the Corpus does? No. And she doesn't have to. 

Also before anyone comments about the graxx skins it's not available anyone not on steam. So consoles are out of luck. 

It would be good to finally fight fire with fire with a Bombard/Heavy Gunner-esque warframe. Given the Grineer's use of conventional technology, such a Warframe's abilities should revolve around such weapons. And being Grineer it would make sense to be an all-offense based Warframe with little to no thought for utility or defense.

A good passive for such a Frame would be increased damage when using traditional firearms (i.e. not plasma rifles or bows or infested guns)

Ability no.1 would be explosive rounds, it's loaded onto the primary weapon or secondary weapon adding additional blast damage and AOE (as well as replenishing that magazine with free bullets). Charged weapons require it to be recast per shot (like bows) at a smaller cost while continuous fire weapons slightly increases damage without adding the AOE. It cannot be recast while the guns are still loaded with that special magazine

Ability no.2 would be a fast rocket. If the button is held, you can then aim at an enemy then release the button, turning it into a homing rocket. It's Augment Mod allows it to lock onto multiple targets with smaller rockets at the cost of reduced damage. It's Rocket storm, the unsubtle version of Ash's 4

Ability no.3 would be a powerful warhead similar to the Tonkor,inflicting severe radiation damage, as well as self-damage if used too close, leave the Reach mods at door on this one. 

Ability no.4 would be some kind of heavy machinegun like a Gorgon on steroids, it would be toggle ability that replaces their main weapon and consumes energy everytime the gun is fired, or when they melee, which is replaced by the ground pound the heavies use. While it's active they take damage like normal but are immune to knockback and stagger. Grineerframe can still move, albeit slowly in this mode. "Depleted Uranium Rounds" would be it's Syndicate Augment, adding punch through, faster rate of fire, and radiation procs.

As for the stats, shields should be pretty much on the low side with average health and above-average armor,, with normal movement speed.

I don't have any ideas as to what to name the abilities with, maybe something in Grineer Language.

2 hours ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

Valkyr has a corpus aesthetic. (Kara helmet) Do any of her moves even closely resemble what the Corpus does? No. And she doesn't have to. 

Also before anyone comments about the graxx skins it's not available anyone not on steam. So consoles are out of luck. 

Valkyr's "corpus aesthetic" was from flayed skin and implants.  She.  Wasn't. Based.  On. Corpus.  At all.  If aesthetic is all it would take to make something "based" on a theme like corpus than we're not even asking to play grineer or grineer frame anymore; we're asking for a skin.

Edited by Irorone

On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 11:45 AM, Irorone said:

Valkyr's "corpus aesthetic" was from flayed skin and implants.  She.  Wasn't. Based.  On. Corpus.  At all.  If aesthetic is all it would take to make something "based" on a theme like corpus than we're not even asking to play grineer or grineer frame anymore; we're asking for a skin.

It is aesthetics. Putting it in quotes doesn't change that. She was tortured by the corpus. Also those implants are corpus implants. That's true. And her Kara helmet is the closest thing to one of those index guys. Original guy may have wanted to play as a grineer, but majority of people just want a grineer themed warframe.

7 hours ago, (PS4)BY-51 said:

It is aesthetics. Putting it in quotes doesn't change that. She was tortured by the corpus. Also those implants are corpus implants. That's true. And her Kara helmet is the closest thing to one of those index guys. Original guy may have wanted to play as a grineer, but majority of people just want a grineer themed warframe.

Yes but aesthetics alone doesn't make a game asset on the level of a warframe.  It puts emphasis on how much of a stretch it is to say valkyr is a corpus themed frame because of nothing but lore.  If lore was all it took than EVERY frame would already have the niche on being the "infested frame".  The corpus didn't make valkyr, they didn't even add any functions to her.  Valkyr prime is also a thing now so literally the only thing tying valkyr to the corpus in ANY WAY is the lore aspect of her base frame.  Also just because they're corpus implants doesn't make her a corpus frame keep in mind we're talking about frames based on an enemy faction and so far closest thing to that is the infested frame that has yet to release.

To quote literally the second person to post on this thread.

On 12/2/2016 at 11:27 PM, AdunSaveMe said:

A grineer frame wouldn't make any sense though.

Valkyr isn't even a corpus frame. She's vaguely corpus-related. She has a couple of corpus things bolted on her, and her backstory is about them, but that's it.

I don't want to play as a grineer based frame for one key reason, I can already play similar to about anything a "grineer frame" can be designed to do.

"Tactical placables" Vauban, Volt, Frost, etc.

Hellion airborne explosive lobbing?  Any frame and specifically zephyr with any of a variety of explosive weapons including the ogris.

Heavy Gunner?  Rhino with any LMG weapon.

Butcher/Scorpion? Any frame with a Mios/Lacera or melee weapon in general.

Scorch? Ignis.

Secondary Reason?  It would just feel goofy bullet jumping etc. as ANYTHING grineer.  A soldier themed frame I could see, a grineer one that isn't just a gimmick not so much.

Edited by Irorone

On 12/3/2016 at 1:52 AM, KyoBladezen said:

Hello fellow daydreamers, I just wanted to ask if there have been any interesting concepts for Grineer-based Warframes? So far we have Valkyr, who has a Corpus theme, and an upcoming Infested frame. If there arent any, do you have any ideas that come to mind? What sort of playstyle do you think a grineer frame would have? 

Along with Vauban who is visually similar to corpus to an extent