The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The worst change made to Glaives

DrBorris

No, this is not about there being a slash before the throw, that has a lot of complicated reasoning behind it. Sure, it sucks, but at least there is a good excuse.

This isn't about how the damage sucks unless used with a frame that can get stealth multipliers (and even then is... meh).

This isn't even about how modding Glaives is a pain as they have so many special mods.

Na, this is about the (admittedly unintentional) change to make Glaives thrown from the left side.

I know you can just melee once, then on the second melee strike hold to throw from the right side, but you know what is worse than slashing once before throwing? Slashing twice...

The problem comes from where the Glaive is throw from, as we all know you look over the right hand of your Warframe. When you throw a Glaive from the right side the projectile leaves about an arm's length from the Warframe's torso. This makes it easier to not Glaivicide on enemies standing in front of you, allows you to throw around corners, and IMO makes targeting easier in general (as the Glaive is closer to the center of your screen). Now, when you throw a Glaive from you left side it actually is thrown just a wee bit to the left from your center. For all practical purposes, it is emitted from your torso. Besides this animation just looking clunky IMO, it also makes it impossible to throw Glaives past enemies in front of you and has lead to more personal Glavicides than I care to admit.

Solution? A complicated one would be to change the first slash to end its animation on the right side of your Warframe. If that is too much take a sacrifice to animation quality for the sake of gameplay and have your arm pop back to the right side if you are doing a charge attack. I am sure there are others, but these are the most practical I could come up with. Or maybe get rid of the slash before the throw? Maybe? No? Okay...

I doubt anything will happen anytime soon as in the grand scheme of things this is a very minor issue, but hopefully I can get the word out there and rally a few thrown melee fans.

-Sincerely, a guy with over 500 hours with a Glaive Prime under his Warframe's RIGHT arm.

While I agree that this is a huge problem, I'm even more upset about making it bounce off of nullifier bubbles. Allowing it to pass through nully bubbles gave glaives a special role that kept them viable despite being left behind in the damage department (and the weird changes to the throwing mechanic). I used to bring my glaive prime with me quite frequently, now I just don't bother. It's too much of a pain to use, and too little payoff.

I have to agree the Glaives need a bit of more love and imagination... That's my main weapon and it took me a while to master it and make it functional thanks to the stance Astral Twilight, at least for me, also it has even gotten more difficult now that Power Throw dose not detonate by pressing E when flying...giving you even less control, But God know how much I love that weapons look and flow in battle! I got so jealous when I saw Orvious got that control and some more stuff and my old Glaive Prime has stayed same, but I shall endure for my favorite weapon lol.

Which is a surprise as Glavie is the spiritual successor of the original Pro-Glaive from Dark Sector... as such an ICONIC Weapon one would think it be really strong or extremely versatile mixing with Warframes powers like it did in that game.

Hopefully Primes are getting Buff so we might see some cool changes in the future... until then my wish is that I could someday DUAL Glaive Tron STYLE!

tumblr_li6mgr9Pj21qc181qo1_500.gif

Edited by 0zryel

7 hours ago, Azrael said:

While I agree that this is a huge problem, I'm even more upset about making it bounce off of nullifier bubbles. Allowing it to pass through nully bubbles gave glaives a special role that kept them viable despite being left behind in the damage department (and the weird changes to the throwing mechanic). I used to bring my glaive prime with me quite frequently, now I just don't bother. It's too much of a pain to use, and too little payoff.

So then should Glaives be a bubble popper or snipers? :P Honest question.

1 minute ago, ChargeBeam said:

So then should Glaives be a bubble popper or snipers? :P Honest question.

I'm actually in favor of snipers being nully-poppers, but I really liked the glaive's utility back when it could pass through the bubble. The thing is: both weapon classes are quite limited in many ways, so allowing them to deal with nullies wouldn't invalidate the nullifier threat. As it is, there's little reason to bring a sniper or a glaive to most missions, and making both classes effective against bubbles would only increase variety, imo.

Talking about Tron. If we have to live with a slash attack before the actual throw make it a 360° spin (fast) which INCLUDES damage at 360° around us and then throw it always from the center (more of an overhead throw). And btw don`t make the Warframe move forward, sideward, backwards.

Would look cool as hell, would have actual use and a slight benefit over most melee attacks prior to a charge attack. 

On 12.12.2016 at 1:00 AM, 0zryel said:

Hopefully Primes are getting Buff so we might see some cool changes in the future...

Prime Buffs are more or less confirmed on Dev Stream 84. It was said "Prime Weapons will be buffed" whatever that might be in the end. And that is pretty much all information about this yet. But there is hope ? :crylaugh:

Edited by AcceptYourDeath

God, i did love that game (Dark sector), and the gameplay with the glaive was one of my TOP experience in video games !!! A shame they left the throwing weapons in the dust, now people only use (most of the time) Bad a** swords, like Galatine and nikana... because throwing weapon are obsolete in every way !

GOD DA****** BUFF THESE WEAPONS !!! ...

Please ?

4 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

Talking about Tron. If we have to live with a slash attack before the actual throw make it a 360° spin (fast) which INCLUDES damage at 360° around us and then throw it always from the center (more of an overhead throw). And btw don`t make the Warframe move forward, sideward, backwards.

Would look cool as hell, would have actual use and a slight benefit over most melee attacks prior to a charge attack. 

Oooo, what if it did a 360 for the first slash, than if you held melee for the entire time (initiating the charge attack) it would just spin around you again and fly away once it completes the second loop? No normal charge animation, the second loop replaced that creating one smooth charging animation. This way it wouldn't feel like a weird slash before the charge. 

11 hours ago, DrBorris said:

Oooo, what if it did a 360 for the first slash,

Yeah exactly, that is what I meant. We have this single melee swipe on every melee before a charge attack. If it would be a 360° spin attack which translates seamlessly into a overhead throw I think this would feel pretty good to use. I would assume it feels very natural and you could even put this attack to use for cleaning thrash mobs around you, which is what I mostly do with Astral Twilights 360° attacks already. 

It would also solve the problem for glaives hitting objects left or right with a more vertical movement to initiate a throw. 

at 0:40 this is what we need :crylaugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNapFsNDbZE

Edited by AcceptYourDeath

19 hours ago, Nsydian said:

God, i did love that game (Dark sector), and the gameplay with the glaive was one of my TOP experience in video games !!! A shame they left the throwing weapons in the dust, now people only use (most of the time) Bad a** swords, like Galatine and nikana... because throwing weapon are obsolete in every way !

GOD DA****** BUFF THESE WEAPONS !!! ...

Please ?

Yeah, Glaive should be at the Top with Nikata and Galatine (Maybe make a WoW Big Warglaives that you join them up to throw it like a big Shuriken? lol). I wish DE would make Glaive just as good as an option, these weapon...and Im not talking about damages only specially now that new more interesting weapons with cool mechanics are coming out! 

3 hours ago, AcceptYourDeath said:

Yeah exactly, that is what I meant. We have this single melee swipe on every melee before a charge attack. If it would be a 360° spin attack which translates seamlessly into a overhead throw I think this would feel pretty good to use. I would assume it feels very natural and you could even put this attack to use for cleaning thrash mobs around you, which is what I mostly do with Astral Twilights 360° attacks already. 

It would also solve the problem for glaives hitting objects left or right with a more vertical movement to initiate a throw. 

at 0:40 this is what we need :crylaugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNapFsNDbZE

If DE ever made able to split my Glaive like that and give it all that cool acrobatic melee/throwing animation I NEVER would have a reason to try other weapons...

Also seeing Tron fight makes me wondered why don't we have a stand up attack when where knock down... we have mods but I think it should be a manual thing to stand up and hit anything around you, mods just to do it quicker or Automatic like that Auto-block mod...We already have that animation in one of those social stances... DE just need to weaponize it, I think?

• 3 weeks later...