Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Madurai Slot + Transient Fortitude = -1% Duration?

Voidforged

Question

Can anyone explain why this happens? 20 second example clip below.

I also just realised, as I pasted the link here, that this is the reason for some people having 12% and others having 13% duration on their EV builds.

Thanks,

Edited by Voidforged

8 answers to this question

Just now, WhiteMarker said:

It has to do with the order of the mods.
Tha game calculates stuff in a certain order. End of the story. Nothing special.

But why does calculating Transient first cause the .5% to be rounded down instead of up? Continuity is still only adding whole numbers.

I don't know exactly what math they're doing in the background, but this likely has something to do with the fact that you can't express those numbers exactly inside a computer.  They're probably using floating point, which has trouble representing decimal numbers exactly, and this trouble is exacerbated when you start doing addition or multiplication on them.  

Your example: 1.0f * (1.0f - 0.6f + 0.55f - 0.275f) = 0.67499995.  Unfortunately, when I switch the order of 0.55f and -0.275f I still get 0.67499995, so I'm not exactly sure why it doesn't round to 67% in both cases.  But I'm sure there's no actual difference, it's just a precision/rounding issue.

Edit: I should probably mention that percentages are stored as fractions, so 60% = 0.6f internally, and 27.5% = 0.275f internally.

Edited by Buff00n

I got... something.

-0.6f - 0.275f + 0.55f + 1.0f = 0.675f

-0.6f + 0.55f - 0.275f + 1.0f = 0.67499995f

This ordering only makes sense if the mods are added *clockwise*, with the +100% base value added last.  However, it does show that it's possible to get two slightly different answers with floating point addition just by changing the order.