Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rhino Roles Have Changed. Lets Get Some New Tactics Down.

WARLOCKE

So the verdict is in and Rhino is no longer a tank frame. No use complaining about it as they have had several patchs to make him a viable tank and have done nothing of the sort. 

So the point of this thread is to gather ideas on how to best use Rhino now. For me I am having trouble with the still slow speed of the frame and getting to where I need to be. Now granted I have got an extra slot now that Iron Skin is dead weight but I hate using it for a speed buff. 

Im thinking the new optimal playstyle will be to hang in the back of your group and keep up Roar on content that matters (boss fights and high level defense waves) and put out range damage untill a group of enemys need to be CC'd in which point you combo Rhino Charge into a Rhino Stomp.

All in all Im actually liking the new Rhino once I got it out of my head that he was a tank. He actually has a place in groups now and brings a unique skill set to the table. I just wish they would up the base movement speed and energy reserves. But I guess we cant have everything. 

So how are you guys gonna play Rhino now?

You play Rhino like you'd play any other frame. Except you use Iron Skin to ignore knockback, while Rhino Stomping and one shotting the entire map on Kiste. Oh, and roar goes from meh to broken once you realize there's a trick to it. Rush combined with slide spam solves all of your speed problems. Seriously, start sliding. Really though, Rhino plays the same way as before, except this time with an overpowered ult (good thing for rhino), and a 50% damage buff that affects everything. Rhino is not a fragile loki that can't go invisible, which is what you're trying to make him sound like.

I still tank I use iron skin and roar and just use weapons or charge cuz roar ups the damage a bunch plus without the timer even though iron skill isn't great you still have to take 1200 for it to go down so it's more energy efficient and rhino stomp now kills just as well as the average ult.

My personal opinion, you must be smoking something.

Rhino is still a tank frame, even more so of one than Frost. His Iron Skin is extremely good. It is a potential extra 1500 shield with focus since it no longer has the timer to it, and the immunity to crowd control is awesome as well. He can hug a Toxic Ancient for fun now. In other terms, Having a Rhino play support is constricting him too much. Rhino is a frame who gets into the group and wrecks them. Rhino Stomp got an insane buff which I am in love with. Iron Skin, charge in, Rhino Stomp, and clean up anything else that's alive while it's hanging around in the air.

As for boss fights, using Iron skin will allow you to take damage for the other's while they pound away at it, using roar to keep them buffed.

For Defense, Rhino stomp is a great damage and control tool, especially against infested. And what better to use Iron skin and make them attack you instead of the pod? Rhino Charge about to get where you need to get quickly and deal damage while doing so. With Grineer and Corpus, same thing applies.

Rhino is a tank, and he has never been better than he is now. I approve his changes.

Mobile Rhino Decoy for Xini, equip Rush and Stam mods. Pop IS then run in circles until team kills everything. Mean while popping Roar when you get the spare energy.

agreed and i havn't stopped playing rhino since teh update lol i love it again.

I still see rhino as a tank. Iron skin + damage buff, reck stuff, if things get too heavy use stomp to get time to refresh skin then continue to reck stuff. If you team with a smart trinity then it's even better.  

Edited by ExiledRamen

So the verdict is in and Rhino is no longer a tank frame. No use complaining about it as they have had several patchs to make him a viable tank and have done nothing of the sort. 

So the point of this thread is to gather ideas on how to best use Rhino now. For me I am having trouble with the still slow speed of the frame and getting to where I need to be. Now granted I have got an extra slot now that Iron Skin is dead weight but I hate using it for a speed buff. 

Im thinking the new optimal playstyle will be to hang in the back of your group and keep up Roar on content that matters (boss fights and high level defense waves) and put out range damage untill a group of enemys need to be CC'd in which point you combo Rhino Charge into a Rhino Stomp.

All in all Im actually liking the new Rhino once I got it out of my head that he was a tank. He actually has a place in groups now and brings a unique skill set to the table. I just wish they would up the base movement speed and energy reserves. But I guess we cant have everything. 

So how are you guys gonna play Rhino now?

It took some time but some folks are finally getting there.

Too bad this happened at a point when he lost some CCing ability and now he definitely requires more caster mods on him.

To put it into perspective. A single cast of Rhino Stomp is a guaranteed 9 seconds of damage mitigation at all levels. IS can't touch Rhino Stomp in terms of "tanking". IS isn't even needed. Equipping Fast Deflection gives damage mitigation on par with IS, since a 1200 IS shield does not seem to be equivalent with even an 800 normal shield.

I love how abusable Iron Skin is again thanks to the higher damage cap and infinite duration. Seriously, the cap would still be bad if not for the fact that IS plus Shade means you're invincible solo, and IS plus Dethcube on infested defense turns you into a living mulcher. Maybe infinite duration was the scaling it needed anyway. Streamline+Focus+Flow to win.

Currently the Mobile Rhino Decoy doesn't work that well since your allies can kill your shields, canceling the effect. But a rank 0 IS works fine, don't even have to rank it up, making room for Rush and stamina mods.

Your allies can kill your shields? Also cool combo

Just soloed Xini (up to wave 5 as a test). 

Mobile Decoy Rhino confirmed indeed, more so that your immune to knockdowns. The mobs didn't even look at the Cryopod.

I'm gonna assume that allies killing your shield is a bug to be fixed.

This new Rhino is GREAT on Infested but not so much with enemies with ranged attacks.

I am enjoying the new Rhino immensely, played him exclusively before and after the patch. I think the problem is everyone wants IS to be the end all be all it was before.....which in all seriousness is not going to happen, it was extremely broken and worse yet it was not an interesting ability to use. I have almost no problem in my group doing t3 tower and defense. The combining of the 3 and 4 was a good idea and the ability actually feels like an ult now. Roar is a nice ability that give some more utility to the frame and gives him a very meaningful way to contribute to the group. IS imo is a very useful ability now and as balanced as it is going to get. I applaud the changes. I have a feeling the IS thing is a bug though where allies can destroy the IS.

In terms of playing the rhino keeping roar up is amazing (on a side note I am looking for some other rhinos to test roar with, mostly want to see if it stacks with more rhinos) and along with the new ult you can tear through entire rooms in a few seconds with the right mods.

Un-slot iron skin for higher level (Pluto onwards) or non-solo games.

Reason: Friendly fire deplete's iron skin.

So no point anyway if you turn on Iron skin and someone just shoot an Ogris rocket and leaves you naked thanks to the splash damage. Secondly, it takes Corpus techs about 2 seconds of supra fire to tear down that iron skin and you are still aggroing the mobs so don't waste your time and energy.

Keep Roar, Charge and Stomp.

Roar then hang back with your Ogris, Torid, Acrid or Supra and watch the numbers fly.

He has become the durable heavy weapon's guy for warframe who can buff his own and team damage.

Stomp is your invulnerability skill and get out of jail card, seems to affect bosses, but I guess that's a bug.

Use charge as the usual get around skill.

Edited by fatpig84

Either you play low end content and think  Iron Skin is great or You play Pluto plus and realize 1200 melts in seconds. Slot it or dont. I am not slotting it since it has no use for support/CC. Lets not argue about how useful Iron Skin is because people who hate it are not going to come around to the people who love it.

Edited by WARLOCKE

Un-slot iron skin for higher level (Pluto onwards) or non-solo games.

Reason: Friendly fire deplete's iron skin.

So no point anyway if you turn on Iron skin and someone just shoot an Ogris rocket and leaves you naked thanks to the splash damage. Secondly, it takes Corpus techs about 2 seconds of supra fire to tear down that iron skin and you are still aggroing the mobs so don't waste your time and energy.

Keep Roar, Charge and Stomp.

Roar then hang back with your Ogris, Torid, Acrid or Supra and watch the numbers fly.

He has become the durable heavy weapon's guy for warframe who can buff his own and team damage.

Stomp is your invulnerability skill and get out of jail card, seems to affect bosses, but I guess that's a bug.

Use charge as the usual get around skill.

Going to try this setup out. Ive got the supra for it :D.