Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

As long as it is believable and not a MINATURE DEATH STAR OF DOOM packed into that small cube....

Um... wait...

Ah... Hmm.

Forget I said anything.

Kal, it's a heavily modded Dethcube (like the one I have myself in the game), I think we can all agree on what that means.

Did you try turning it off and back on?

I've spent too many years telling others to do that....i couldn't bring myself to do that again. Tech Support will do horrible, nasty things to your mind. Think of the average person and how stupid they are....Then realize that by the law of averages, Half of the people are more stupid than that. That last half are the ones that can't take a battery out without first calling in.

</cynical>

Did you pray to Lord Tzeentch today?

No, But i did pray to Lord Almighty Cheezus, who maketh us lay in the valley with macaroni. Praise be to Cheezus, who provide us with Riboflavin and Niacin. Blessed are those who come together in fellowship, with orange teeth!

I've spent too many years telling others to do that....i couldn't bring myself to do that again. Tech Support will do horrible, nasty things to your mind. Think of the average person and how stupid they are....Then realize that by the law of averages, Half of the people are more stupid than that. That last half are the ones that can't take a battery out without first calling in.

</cynical>

No, But i did pray to Lord Almighty Cheezus, who maketh us lay in the valley with macaroni. Praise be to Cheezus, who provide us with Riboflavin and Niacin. Blessed are those who come together in fellowship, with orange teeth!

Why I remember punching a guy who told me that when he SAW MY COMPUTER ON FIRE!

Kal, it's a heavily modded Dethcube (like the one I have myself in the game), I think we can all agree on what that means.

Well, I personally am writing a new sentinel into my latest fanfic. Naming it however...

Djinn sentinel with medical sensors for a medic I am creating. Name with either be T00-1Beta, Twee-Kee (kudos to anyone who can get the reference) or D4-L3K. Needless to say, whichever one I choose will dictate the personality.

Well, I personally am writing a new sentinel into my latest fanfic. Naming it however...

Djinn sentinel with medical sensors for a medic I am creating. Name with either be T00-1Beta, Twee-Kee (kudos to anyone who can get the reference) or D4-L3K. Needless to say, whichever one I choose will dictate the personality.

Exterminate.

Why I remember punching a guy who told me that when he SAW MY COMPUTER ON FIRE!

Ive only seen a computer catch fire Twice in my life.

Once with a modified Chernobyl virus, and the other when some idiot (me) OC'd a CyrixII 300MHz processor up to 1.2 GHz. In spite of the box fan taped to the case...it simply wasn't meant to be.

Ive only seen a computer catch fire Twice in my life.

Once with a modified Chernobyl virus, and the other when some idiot (me) OC'd a CyrixII 300MHz processor up to 1.2 GHz. In spite of the box fan taped to the case...it simply wasn't meant to be.

I have seen a few too. I was a paramedic. We transported a guy who was still TYPING on his keyboard as it burned underneath him. He HAD to send that email apparently. Only first and second degree burns, but still... Fire, bad.

I have seen a few too. I was a paramedic. We transported a guy who was still TYPING on his keyboard as it burned underneath him. He HAD to send that email apparently. Only first and second degree burns, but still... Fire, bad.

And as any of us (at least the ones of us who are old enough to remember) learned from Buffy....Fire Bad, Tree Pretty.

And as any of us (at least the ones of us who are old enough to remember) learned from Buffy....Fire Bad, Tree Pretty.

Talked to a lawyer once, he told that there are very few criminals in the world. There are far, far, FAR more stupid people.

Every cop I have said that too has said, 'Yep.'

Edited by Kalenath

Hmmm....I've been deep in thought regarding the points Aiglo made. My own fanfic does have family scenarios in it : love, pregnancy, angst and a whole bunch of stuff. My friends who play Warframe think it's trash because they can't relate my ideas and personalities to the characters in the game.

That's my fundamental gripe with Warframe. The lore, or rather the lack of it, forces us to adhere to the concept of portraying Tenno and other factions and occurrences as a mindless killfest.

I'll be making it very clear in my own fanfic that I won't be adhering to canon since it limits my creativity, and I vehemently hate anything that staunches creativity.

Hmmm....I've been deep in thought regarding the points Aiglo made. My own fanfic does have family scenarios in it : love, pregnancy, angst and a whole bunch of stuff. My friends who play Warframe think it's trash because they can't relate my ideas and personalities to the characters in the game.

That's my fundamental gripe with Warframe. The lore, or rather the lack of it, forces us to adhere to the concept of portraying Tenno and other factions and occurrences as a mindless killfest.

I'll be making it very clear in my own fanfic that I won't be adhering to canon since it limits my creativity, and I vehemently hate anything that staunches creativity.

The major problem is... Who are you writing for? We have all KINDS of people on this forum. We have 8 year olds who read these despite the guidelines. We have one 60 year old that I know of. IF she is still around.

Trying to please everyone won't work. Trying to stifle our creativity won't work. We need to find a middle ground. But we DO have a responsibility to our audience. We want to write cool stories that make people believe the unbelievable. It is hard. Where do we set the limits?

For me, I don't show anything. I imply it. I talk around it. Showing it crosses the line for me.

Edited by Kalenath

Working under guidelines doesn't staunch creativity, it invigorates it.

When you can write absolutely anything, there is no limit. Nothing for you think around, no problem that you can't solve by just pulling a way to solve it out of the ether. When you have constraints, limits, you have to approach something in a more realistic way. There is no Deus Ex Machina to save the day, you have to bleed for your work. At the end of the day, when you have done something amazing, still within limits, you feel even better about what you've done. I have to do things like that all the time, when playing or DM'ing D&D. There are certain joys you find when your character speaks to you and tells you its master plan that isn't fanciful, but rooted in reality.

I do respect your views, I don't agree with them, but i certainly respect them.

Working under guidelines doesn't staunch creativity, it invigorates it.

When you can write absolutely anything, there is no limit. Nothing for you think around, no problem that you can't solve by just pulling a way to solve it out of the ether. When you have constraints, limits, you have to approach something in a more realistic way. There is no Deus Ex Machina to save the day, you have to bleed for your work. At the end of the day, when you have done something amazing, still within limits, you feel even better about what you've done. I have to do things like that all the time, when playing or DM'ing D&D. There are certain joys you find when your character speaks to you and tells you its master plan that isn't fanciful, but rooted in reality.

I do respect your views, I don't agree with them, but i certainly respect them.

I agree.

I am reminded of an interview with one of the writers who started work for Bioware just as they started work on Dragon Age Inquisition, the new installment. He was quoted:

"I got in and realized oh YEAH, there are no limits to what I can do. Then I said OH <BLEEP> No limits? AHHHHH!" He said he came close to a nervous breakdown the second week BECAUSE he had no limits.

You need SOME kind of guidelines. We have a basic framework in place in the Warframe universe. It is not much, but it is there.

The major problem is... Who are you writing for? We have all KINDS of people on this forum. We have 8 year olds who read these despite the guidelines. We have one 60 year old that I know of. IF she is still around.

Trying to please everyone won't work. Trying to stifle our creativity won't work. We need to find a middle ground. But we DO have a responsibility to our audience. We want to write cool stories that make people believe the unbelievable. It is hard. Where do we set the limits?

For me, I don't show anything. I imply it. I talk around it. Showing it crosses the line for me.

That middle ground is exactly what i'm aiming for. If we were to limit it to only things that are specifically in the game, no modifications, no new concepts or ideas, Then we will fill these pages with well written, but boring stories.

If we go the other way, Letting anything go, as we have been, it will get to a point that we could easily have a My Little Pony/Warframe/DBZ crossover. I don't know about you, but the thought of seeing a Loki ride in on a purple pony to save the day from a power obsessed Vegeta gathering Orokin Reactors just doesnt appeal to me.

If you want to write something way crazy and out there, Just post it in a different thread. Hell, Post the link to it in this thread, so that everybody who wants to read it can do so. By no means am i saying that anyone shouldnt write something like that, Just not here.

Edited by Aigloblam

If I may add to this a bit (feel free to call me a heretic and spurn my ideas btw xP )

1.) When it comes to the gryoog, I'm sorry Wrath, but they DO break cannon. Unequivocally. Sorry. >.<;

2.) The pregnancy thing. I think what's going on right now with Sophia getting pregnant, to be honest, doesn't feel well thought out... As a female I KNOW about pregnancy (at least as much as you can having never been pregnant). Writing Sophia being pregnant... you realize she's going to get about a month of two into that and WON'T FIT IN HER WARFRAME ANYMORE. Then, she'll be out the rest of her nine months because she'll be unable to fight. Then she'll be out for an indefinite amount of time (possibly YEARS) because she'll have to take care of her kid (and I am not writing about Tenno daycare.. sorry). In the end, while I'm not against the idea (and I am still writing her rescue) I think people in general fail to realize what's being taken on by throwing a pregnancy into the mix. It's a gigantic pain in the &amp;#&#33;, logistically, even to just write about. That's not to say I think no one should write about it, but I think it should be kept to a minimum.

2.b.) Relationships. I see no problem with them if limits are put in. This forum (not just this thread) I believe is supposed to be rated pg13 or thereabouts. It's going to be really easy to get in trouble for crossing that line. That said, not seeing a particular problem with it personally, I'm just saying this as a word of caution. We've had some really good stuff posted about relationships and such, and I don't want to see that stop, I just don't want to see people cross a line and get in trouble either.

3.) Cross-overs. I have nothing wrong with them but I do feel they don't technically belong on this thread. If I may make a suggestion about them, I would ask that they be written in their own forum thread and at most linked here.

I guess we do need some sort of rules.

I don't think the rules we need have to be strict, but some things fit in the warframe universe, and others do not. We don't have to stick to the official in-game canon, but, it still has to BE warframe.

My 2 cents.

2.) The pregnancy thing. I think what's going on right now with Sophia getting pregnant, to be honest, doesn't feel well thought out... As a female I KNOW about pregnancy (at least as much as you can having never been pregnant). Writing Sophia being pregnant... you realize she's going to get about a month of two into that and WON'T FIT IN HER WARFRAME ANYMORE. Then, she'll be out the rest of her nine months because she'll be unable to fight. Then she'll be out for an indefinite amount of time (possibly YEARS) because she'll have to take care of her kid (and I am not writing about Tenno daycare.. sorry). In the end, while I'm not against the idea (and I am still writing her rescue) I think people in general fail to realize what's being taken on by throwing a pregnancy into the mix. It's a gigantic pain in the &amp;#&#33;, logistically, even to just write about. That's not to say I think no one should write about it, but I think it should be kept to a minimum.

2.b.) Relationships. I see no problem with them if limits are put in. This forum (not just this thread) I believe is supposed to be rated pg13 or thereabouts. It's going to be really easy to get in trouble for crossing that line. That said, not seeing a particular problem with it personally, I'm just saying this as a word of caution. We've had some really good stuff posted about relationships and such, and I don't want to see that stop, I just don't want to see people cross a line and get in trouble either.

In my fanfics, Serene cannot fight anymore. Jac was unceremoniously booted from her warframe by the medics when she tried last to get into her Nova and Jasmina got a surrogate.

But those will be ALL I will write of that. Not being female, I don't know the whole deal. I WAS a paramedic however. I know more than the average person.

That said, it isn't bad. it's just... You really need to think about it. Sophia has a VERY serious choice ahead.

And that is all I am going to say on that. Not my characters, so it's not really any of my business.

Edited by Kalenath

If I may add to this a bit (feel free to call me a heretic and spurn my ideas btw xP )

1.) When it comes to the gryoog, I'm sorry Wrath, but they DO break cannon. Unequivocally. Sorry. >.<;

3.) Cross-overs. I have nothing wrong with them but I do feel they don't technically belong on this thread. If I may make a suggestion about them, I would ask that they be written in their own forum thread and at most linked here.

In that case...I shall make the WF crossover thread! To the skies Tenno!

We should start a collection jar. Every time Jeahanne makes sense, we should drop in a dime.

My child will be set for college in 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have any issues with guidelines or rules, I like the challenge, I really do.

But the crux of my point is simply this: Warframe's lore is so shoddy, we as writers try to spark the imagination of players with our stories. My goal is to make Warframes feel like they have souls, and that they're not just mindless mass murderers listening to orders from a masked mysterious woman named after a flower.

Lore is supposed to be the fundamental component of any game or movie: it is the cement that holds everything together. I don't know about you guys, but when I play Warframe, I tend to imagine playing as Oron when I'm running my Rhino, Linzi when I'm running my Ember, Rin when I'm playing as a Nyx, and it's a joyous experience. Looking past the grind and all the monotony that is the game at the moment, I simply enjoy playing my own creations.

Sorry if I sound like I'm ranting, I just feel kinda b!tchy after my exam today. I just seriously hate not having anything concrete to work with. I have to come up with lore, repercussions, personalities and all sorts of stuff so that I can stick to canon, which in itself is utter trash as of now.

Everyone here is doing their very best to add personality to the game and it's characters, but my friend made a valid point while critiquing one of my chapters and I quote: "You're story is good, perfect emotions and everything. But I feel like this isn't Warframe. You just seem to have put normal people into the suits and making them fight against the bad guys.  I can't blame you though, you're limited by the aspects of the game itself. Well, let's hope that things change in the future. I don't want you to stop, even if you break the game's lore."

I hope my point got through, despite all the criticisms regarding lore.

I promise to stick to the guidelines here to a tee. We all should.

In my fanfics, Serene cannot fight anymore. Jac was unceremoniously booted from her warframe by the medics when she tried last to get into her Nova and Jasmina got a surrogate.

But those will be ALL I will write of that. Not being female, I don't know the whole deal. I WAS a paramedic however. I know more than the average person.

That said, it isn't bad. it's just... You really need to think about it. Sophia has a VERY serious choice ahead.

And that is all I am going to say on that. Not my characters, so it's not really any of my business.

I've personally delivered 3 babies. When you live in a place that small, one person has to do a lot of things. Ive got medical training out the *CENSORED*, but luckily i moved to a much bigger area...no more EMT for me! Its not normal for me to be outranked in the medical field...But as a Paramedic, you certainly do/did.