Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Archive] Of Ash And Fire - Original Thread

SirNerdsAlot5

Excalibur slowed to a halt at the end of the hallway. Noxious goo dripped from his blades, the stuff served the infested as blood. It stank mightily, but it was part of the job. He was 20 minutes into a 2 hour sweep and clear mission on this hellhole of an asteroid. He would have rather seen to the capture mission available earlier, but Ash had seniority.

Excalibur shook his head, bringing him back to the moment just in time to dodge a hulking green monstrosity as it charged down the corridor. He felt the weakness seep into his bones, even being within feet of these things could leave any organic creature in a puddle of their own entrails. He dove to the side, flashing his hand down to his belt pouch and flinging a Kunai into the back of the creatures knee. It stumbled forward, its badly mangled leg bringing it to a halt. As it turned, the choking green mist thickened. A loud roar filled the air as it's disgusting maw opened, a plume of mist erupted from deep inside the beast. Excalibur leaped to his feet with agility no mere human could ever have. He backpedaled, launching six more Kunai in rapid succession, each finding its way into stinking green flesh. The beast roared once more, before falling over onto its face and twitching its last strength away.

Excalibur knew he had to move on, the nanocytes from the station on this asteroid would soon dissolve the body into nothing but blue smoke. He continued out the nearest door where his scanners had detected more infested. After creeping through the next room he found a air duct, removed the fan that blocked its entrance, and climbed inside. No more than 40 feet down this pipe, he heard the shuffling of feet below him, through vent hole in the ceiling of one of the lower rooms. He slowly crouched and peeked in.

Four red skinned infested were milling about in the room, over a mangled body on the floor. The body had been picked clean of flesh and had barely any bones left. Mostly just a large blood smear with a few chunks in it, but it felt wrong, all wrong. The infested were a lot of things, but Cannibals werent on that list.

Ever so slowly he reached over his left shoulder, past the string on his bow, and pulled out his only companion for this mission; a Shade, Sentinel Unit 119. He twisted the halves of the metal gizmo, and a faint whirring noise started, and the Shade floated up in the air. It unfolded itself to full size and began its startup sequence. Nine seconds later it was fully operational, its cloaking field hiding Excalibur and the shade itself from visual contact.

Ever so slowly the Tenno let himself down into the chamber, his feet made not a sound on the floor plates. Once on the ground, he noticed the Runner creatures were not alone, 2 Chargers also occupied this room. Deciding that the Runners were the biggest threat, he crept up behind one and with lightning speed he lept onto its shoulders, simultaneously pulling his small Hand Axes from their clips on his back. He clamped down onto the creatures neck with his knees, and buried the blade of one axe in its throat, the other directly into the creatures face. It wasn't enough to kill it, he knew that, but it would keep it quiet enough to not alert the others while he finished it off. With a twist of his body Excalibur fell back, using his powerfully enhanced legs and Zoren blades as leverage. The Runner's head ripped off its body, where it was cradled all the way to the ground by powerful Tenno hands. This creature dealt with, Excalibur repeated this process on two more, totally silently.

On the last Runner, it turned its head at just the wrong moment, causing one blade of the Zoren to go into the side of its face, the other striking the collar bone. The Runner, free to scream in pain, quickly did so. Excalibur knew stealth wouldnt work any longer, he had killed almost 50 infested though, hopefully there werent too many more.

In the instant the creature bellowed in pain and was silenced by the blades, the Chargers wheeled around and as their name implied, charged directly for the offending Tenno. As the dead Runner fell, its last act was to latch onto Excalibur's leg with a death grip. Now with 400 pounds of dead infested flesh holding him back, the battled hardened Tenno unleashed a flurry of strikes, lopping off limbs and nodules of flesh from the chargers. It almost wasn't enough. The creatures still pushed on, tackling him with all the fury left in their mutilated bodies. When they finally lay dead on the floor, Excalibur's shields were depleted and he had long bloody scratch marks all along his left side. He had been in much worse scrapes than this, so he barely acknowledged the injuries.

After freeing himself from the grip of the downed Runner, Excalibur checked his scanners. Relief washed over him, The scan showed clean, not another life form on this rock. He started making his way to the extraction point, about a quarter mile to the south. He breathed easier now, in less than an hour he would be back inside the Dojo, resting and training for his next assignment.

Less than 400 meters from his waiting extraction ship, the whole asteroid shook, the sound of an explosion was deafening inside the structure. Quickly checking his sensors, Excalibur saw readings all over the area, at least 50. From his communicator, he heard the voice of the Lotus. Normally this voice calmed the most hysterical Tenno in any situation. When Excalibur heard the Lotus this time, however, it did nothing but fill him with overpowering dread.

In a uncharacteristically shaky tone, the voice of the lotus spoke.

“I'm picking up hundreds of signals all around you Tenno. I've never seen this many before. Your pod has been destroyed, and ...There are no other operatives within range of you.”

Excalibur took a deep breath and let it out slowly. He had never heard the Lotus sound like this before, Never in all his years working with his Tenno brethren. He had never known the Lotus to be afraid before.

“What is this? This is not Normal...Something is very wrong here”

A few seconds of radio silence, then the Lotus came back, her voice still shaky.

“Its The Grineer”.

Excalibur heard this very well, but he wouldn't have cared if ten thousand Grineer were decending upon him at that moment, Something else has just happened.

The Lights were flickering.

If you don't make a sequel I will hunt you down

You DM? Awww, I've been wanting to try D&D or some kind of tabletop for months now, but my area seems to be a roleplaying dead zone. : (

"Wow, rookie stealth mistake there Nyx." The emerald warrior spun and groaned as Loki seemed to peel away from the shadows. He was the last person she wanted to see. "Of course, your first mistake would be not having an awesome frame like mine. We Loki are the best at stealth runs after all."

"A Rhino could hide better than you!" She shot back. "And what's with the bags?"

"What, these?" Loki gestured toward two bags that were stuffed to the brim. "Just topping off my produce supplies after Ty's little episode. Problem?"

"Yes. You know those are banned" Nyx suddenly got a wicked idea. "But I won't tell the Lotus and get you demoted if you agree to keep my little slip a secret."

Loki blinked in surprise, then burst out laughing. "Are you seriously trying to blackmail me? That's adorable! Tell you what, since I don't give a hoot about rank, you help me get these bags back to the ship and I'll keep my mouth shut. Deal?" Heavy footsteps echo in the hallway, coming closer.

"Best make up your mind quick, Sweet Cheeks. We got company."

I live somewhere in Arizona. That's all I'm willing to give out over the internet, anyway.

"Hold up, Nyx. I wanna try something."

Nyx's eyebrow rose as she lowered her bow.Their helmets were sealed and private comms were active to prevent eavesdroppers. She opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by the Grineer marines bursting into the room. She nocked an arrow again and was about to fire when...

PFFFFFFT

"GAH! Alright, who cut one loose?"

"Was that you, Clone 612?"

"It wasn't me, I swear!"

"Oh god, my eyes are burning!"

"I can't breath!"

"Someone open a window!" We're in space!" "Who cares!?"

Nyx shook her head as chaos equal to anything she could cause descended upon the Grineer. For a moment she almost felt admiration for that perverse trickster... then the stench reached her. "UGH! Gods Loki, what did you eat!? I can smell it through the filters!" She was met only with hysterical laughter. She sighed, trying to breath through her mouth as she drew and fired three quick shots, all finding their mark in Grineer throats.

Some things never change...

I live somewhere in Arizona. That's all I'm willing to give out over the internet, anyway.

"Hold up, Nyx. I wanna try something."

Nyx's eyebrow rose as she lowered her bow.Their helmets were sealed and private comms were active to prevent eavesdroppers. She opened her mouth to reply, but was cut off by the Grineer marines bursting into the room. She nocked an arrow again and was about to fire when...

PFFFFFFT

"GAH! Alright, who cut one loose?"

"Was that you, Clone 612?"

"It wasn't me, I swear!"

"Oh god, my eyes are burning!"

"I can't breath!"

"Someone open a window!" We're in space!" "Who cares!?"

Nyx shook her head as chaos equal to anything she could cause descended upon the Grineer. For a moment she almost felt admiration for that perverse trickster... then the stench reached her. "UGH! Gods Loki, what did you eat!? I can smell it through the filters!" She was met only with hysterical laughter. She sighed, trying to breath through her mouth as she drew and fired three quick shots, all finding their mark in Grineer throats.

Some things never change...

ROFLOL! That's Hilarious!

You DM? Awww, I've been wanting to try D&D or some kind of tabletop for months now, but my area seems to be a roleplaying dead zone. : (

I feel so sorry for you....Thats gotta suck. I've been a DM for a bit over 18 years now. I started playing really young, and before i knew it, they were all asking me to DM when the regular wasnt around. Igilblix has played a few characters under me, but unfortunately we hardly ever get time to play.

Wait, how did this Tenno get hired?

How did they even become part of the Lotus in the first place?!

She is obviously completely and utterly insane.

QUESTIONS MUST BE ANSWERED

I can answer your questions in three words.

"Insane But Effective"

This one is for my nova.

CHERRY BOMB

Interviewer: So Miss...ahhh...how about I just call you Nova?

Nova: Okay! -leaning forward on the chair, she kicks her legs and hums happily. Helmet off, she's got bubblegum pink hair covering half her face-

Interviewer: So Nova, what can you tell us about your...feelings toward the opposing factions? The Lotus would like to know.

Nova: Wwwweeeeelll...-tilts her head, putting a finger against her chin- I think I'd like it if we could all get along kinda. It'd be nice, even though we Tenno wouldn't be needed except maybe if the Infested went outta control.

Interviewer: Let's get specific then. Starting with the Infested, how do you feel about them.

Nova: Uhm...they're kinda strange and stuff but I bet we could keep them in some sorta zoo for entertainment. I bet if we fed one a bird we could get some pretty flying ones.

Interviewer: I think the Lotus prefers your performances against them better. -clicking a remote, video plays of Nova firing her Braton Vandal into a swarm of Chargers-

Video: "YEAH! GET SOME!" -Antimatter Drop fires and she charges it, video feed ending with a huge red explosion-

Nova: -blushing a bright pink, she looks down- I don't like fighting that much, I think that's why I prefer the Corpus.

Interviewer: Oh? Is it because it's easier to avoid fighting them, or that they use robotic proxies?

Nova: Naw, I bet if we came to peace with them they could come up with a really cool economics system. I like 'em a lot since they're all for diplomacy N' stuff.

Interviewer: Uh...huh...-clicks remote, showing a video of Nova holding handfuls of Despair kunai-

Video: -throwing with deadly accuracy she jumps atop a corpus crewman that's still alive, Vasto pointed at his chest- "Oh YEAH! KNIFE in your FACE! KNIIIIIIIIFE! IN! YOUR! FACE!" -laughing manically Nova pulls the kunai out and throws it into the face of another crewman- "Oh yeah! Double FACE!" -video feed ends-

Nova: It was an exterminate mission! -she pouts, looking upset-

Interviewer: Right, right, you're doing your job which the Lotus commends you for. No enemies were left alive that time. You went there alone if the records are true.

Nova: Maybe I do get a little heated...but at least I don't feel so bad with the Grineer.

Interviewer: Why's that? Is it because they're our most hated enemy?

Nova: The grineer are really icky, and they don't seem interested in peace at all. I mean, look at what they were doing to the poor Corpus with those big Foamiun Ships!

Interviewer: Formorian, Miss Nova. -clicks remote again-

Video: -Nova's surrounded by a platoon of grineer. In a moment she uses Worm Hole to get past them and casts Molecular Prime.- "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" -Using a large black Hek Nova fires at the closest one, causing a chain of massive red explosions to rock the entire ship. Video feed picks up with her walking away, smoke curling off her warframe armor- "Mmm~ Tastes like Cherry <3"

Nova: But it does! -she protests with a soft giggle- When they explode I get a cherry taste in my mouth.

Interviewer: I think we're done here.

Your Nova kind of reminds me of Harley Quinn.

LOL. Got to feel sorry for those in the Psych wards. Nice story, both of you, though now that I read that dialogue again, it does remind me of Will Smith. Have no idea why. Got some exams, but later I'll try to make one for the MAG I just made. Keep at it, Lucy.