Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chainswords

krzycz

Plasma Swords?

Full on lightsaber style.

And The Hammer and Axe are hardly "out there", this game shoud not restrict itself to "ninja style" or the variety of weaponry is going to be extremely shallow. As long as each concept is developed tastefully, there's plenty of room for more adventurous designs.

You could make an elegant looking melee weapon with a chainsaw theme, it doesn't need to be a huge, ugly, out of place looking clunk-o-saur.

Edited by Zakalwe

Full on lightsaber style.

And The Hammer and Axe are hardly "out there", this game shoud not restrict itself to "ninja style" or the variety of weaponry is going to be extremely shallow. As long as each concept is developed tastefully, there's plenty of room for more adventurous designs.

You could make an elegant looking melee weapon with a chainsaw theme, it doesn't need to be a huge, ugly, out of place looking clunk-o-saur.

I mean, it's almost a lightsaber already. And The Hammer and Axe ARE "out there" since these are Ninjas, and they're supposed to be hurr durr, swords and stealth. Not "TENNO SMASH"

I mean, it's almost a lightsaber already. And The Hammer and Axe ARE "out there" since these are Ninjas, and they're supposed to be hurr durr, swords and stealth. Not "TENNO SMASH"

They're not ninjas, they simply have a slight stealthy style about them (a style which is completely compromised by their hack and slash run and gun core) and gamers are lazy with their obvious comparisons.

The hammer and the axe are very slick looking and fit the aesthetic perfectly. Not only that, but they look much more in keeping with the Rhino frame than tiny little sword.

And since when did Ninjas carry massive assault rifles and shot guns, anyway?

Like I said, as long as the designs are tasteful enough there's no reason to not consider these things.

They're not ninjas

http://youtu.be/-1S_enC28aw?t=17s

they simply have a slight stealthy style about them (a style which is completely compromised by their hack and slash run and gun core) and gamers are lazy with their obvious comparisons.

The hammer and the axe are very slick looking and fit the aesthetic perfectly. Not only that, but they look much more in keeping with the Rhino frame than tiny little sword.

And since when did Ninjas carry massive assault rifles and shot guns, anyway?

Like I said, as long as the designs are tasteful enough there's no reason to not consider these things.

The game being hack and slash is the comprimise that had to be made when you make it MMO. The original concept is something that's like a single-player, space ninja splinter cell (+wacky powers like weapons steal and Static shield): http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Mucf3kdVzes

I had a discussion in another thread about why, this linked here: https://forums.warfr...ps/page__st__20

Edited by Labcat

My point was they're not actual ninjas. They have guns, they're in space, they don't need to be limited to the weapons that "real" (whatever you're using your basis for ninjas, historical or pop-culture) ninjas would have used. That would not only be dull for gameplay, but aesthetically it would be very bland.

You could easily make a chain saw that looked elegent enough for the game's style, here's a quick mock up of something that could fit (apologies for the crude stylings, MS paint in 2 mins to give an idea):

chainsword2_zpsf9a37eec.png

Edited by Zakalwe

My point was they're not actual ninjas. They have guns, they're in space, they don't need to be limited to the weapons that "real" (whatever you're using your basis for ninjas, historical or pop-culture) ninjas would have used. That would not only be dull for gameplay, but aesthetically it would be very bland.

You could easily make a chain saw that looked elegent enough for the game's style, here's a quick mock up of something that could fit (apologies for the crude stylings, MS paint in 2 mins to give an idea):

chainsword2_zpsf9a37eec.png

Theoretically speaking, when you have plasma, that can cut through anything, why would you need a chainsaw? :< Game-wise speaking, it would be a cool addition, but I love stealth, not massacre. (I love efficency though.)

Edited by Labcat

Theoretically speaking, when you have plasma, that can cut through anything, why would you need a chainsaw? :< Game-wise speaking, it would be a cool addition, but I love stealth, not massacre. (I love efficency though.)

If you get into that kind of theory, you could nitpick everything to pieces. Not interested, thanks. I'd rather sacrifice that level of pedantic reasoning for a decent variety in aesthetics and design. :)

Besides, you could make the chainsword better against armour and the plasma better versus shields, it doesn't matter if plasma would be better against both. We don't require abo@#&*e realism, do we?

If you get into that kind of theory, you could nitpick everything to pieces. Not interested, thanks. I'd rather sacrifice that level of pedantic reasoning for a decent variety in aesthetics and design. :)

Besides, you could make the chainsword better against armour and the plasma better versus shields, it doesn't matter if plasma would be better against both. We don't require abo@#&*e realism, do we?

The chainsword should be more efficant against unarmored, because some realism is needed sometimes. And I bet you would a much better time chaining down infested, than you would be chaining down Grineer.

Um, I don't see how they could have a chainsword without being accused of (rightly so) ripping off Warhammer. I think that is just too much an icon of Warhammer to really make sense here. Now, more variety of weapons, sure sounds great. I don't think some kind of laser sword is out of the picture considering that the corpus shoot lasers (or some variant thereof) at you. Or even some kind of spear weapon or a Swallow (think Serge from Crono Cross)!

So yeah, more weapons = good. Chainsword . . . not so much.

Edited by cypherhalo