Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Steam and Warframe

kyori

Question

Hello Tenno,

I am not using warframe from steam, so for the steam tenno, I would like to ask if you have the option to access warframe from the standalone warframe launcher... or if your warframe program is 'linked' to steam then there is no way but to start warframe using steam?

The end-question is: since I am not using warframe through steam, if I visit a LAN shop who installed warframe through steam, will I be able to play there?(because I have no steam account)

Sorry that I don't use steam so I am not sure how it goes. 

2 answers to this question

Warframe accounts and Steam accounts are kept separate, when us Steam users launch the game (from the launcher) we get a log in screen before the Orbiter, usually shows our Warframe kneeling there (you probably know this screen.) None of the updates are ever done through Steam either, all through the Launcher. Basically If you have a Warframe account it seems that you'd probably be able to play through any service (on the same platform of course).

- if one has Warframe 'installed' on Steam, if they try to run Warframe manually from that directory rather than launching from Steam, Warframe will attempt to launch standalone.
this will result in installing the Standalone version of Warframe, as the Registry Entries that would point the Launcher without being run from Steam as to where the local data files are do not exist and/or are not correct so the Launcher would not find Warframe and assume you don't have it yet.

- your Warframe Account has absolutely no necessitated connection to Steam. if you go to an Internet Cafe, you can login to Warframe just as you do now and everything will be fine. upon logging in you might be asked if you want to link that Steam Account you're running through - and you'll select no i'd imagine since it isn't your Steam Account.