Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Owning DE

appu8curry

Question

12 answers to this question

A few years ago, a chinese food company invested into DE (among others) to spread out their businesses. Perfect World (you may know them or their sister company, Perfect World Entertainment. Don't ask me which of them does the western market games, I don't know.) also aquired a small amount of shares as they served as advisors in their deal.

Because of this, people quickly blame some chinese overlord for any negative chanegs. However, even if Sumpo could interfere with DE's decisions, they wouldn't because they believe DE knows what they are doing (else they wouldn't have been so successful).

These investments also made stuff like motion capturing for The Second Dream and The War Within possible.

In the end though, DE does not need help to screw things up. And when they really screw up, they fix it. Which wouldn't happen if some chinese suit man was enforcing these measures.

Edited by UltimateSpinDash

12 minutes ago, UltimateSpinDash said:

A few years ago, a chinese food company invested into DE (among others) to spread out their businesses. Perfect World (you may know them or their sister company, Perfect World Entertainment. Don't ask me which of them does the western market games, I don't know.) also aquired a small amount of shares as they served as advisors in their deal.

Because of this, people quickly blame some chinese overlord for any negative chanegs. However, even if Sumpo could interfere with DE's decisions, they wouldn't because they believe DE knows what they are doing (else they wouldn't have been so successful).

These investments also made stuff like motion capturing for The Second Dream and The War Within possible.

In the end though, DE does not need help to screw things up. And when they really screw up, they fix it. Which wouldn't happen if some chinese suit man was enforcing these measures.

Kinda. PWE is a child company of Perfect World, which handles the western games development. PWE would, in essence, be closer to a sister company to DE, though still not really. 

The biggest thing from the deal is that a Chinese company holds a large enough share in DE so that DE can "publish" the game in China. Though what this actually means is that a separate chinese developer, Changyou, handles the game and servers etc in China. China basically likes to keep it local, you don't get to do business in China unless you are locally owned and operated, IE, generating local jobs. 

But as you said, none of this affects anything that DE does on the global build. Their decisions are their own, for better and for worse. 

Edited by Gelkor

33 minutes ago, appu8curry said:

I heard that Chinese are responsible for DE delivering grindy content. Why's that

This is quite likely:

PWE who created super-grindy game about grind and loot boxes opening name Perfect Worldbought DE about two years ago. Mind that they hold 58% - this means they can force decisions upon DE (goodle: 50% share holding).

As an offtopic, I am the one who played Perfect World for quite a while with friends. This is a MMORPG, not so bad, but not nearly as good as Lineage 2 or WOW. The problem is it was pay to win from the beginning: they literally sold amulets which auto-restore your health when you are on low health, they work both in PVE and PVP and it's nearly impossible to completely a high lvl dungeons if tanks/healers dont have them. The another good example is Phoenix - a pet, without which Druid is useless class, but with this pet he is OP as hell. To get a phoenix, you need 200 phoenix feathers. They drop with 20% chance from loot boxes, which cost 1$. Make your numbers. And this is only tip of the iceberg. To get how derenged P2W was in PW, imagine this: there was a weekly "event" where players should open as much loot boxes as possible, and when players received something good, it was force-broadcasted all around whole world and typed in the upper-center of your screen. Your killing hard boss / killing a player who PK'ed your girlfriend? No matter! The huge sign about xXxDONATERJOExXx getting a SUPER RARE ENCHANTMENT STONE is far more important then avenging your GF. Enjoy.

There is no evidence that I have seen that any "grindy content" is the result of anyone other than DE. At this point it's just a boogeyman that people bring up whenever they don't like something. Also you should probably realize that there really isn't any truly grindy content in this game, even the worst offenders are nothing compared to what some other games have.

19 minutes ago, SonicSonedit said:

To get a phoenix, you need 200 phoenix feathers. They drop with 20% chance from loot boxes, which cost 1$.

Yeah, I'm really glad they don't have those in this game. I mean, sure, they have the stupid dragon mod packs, but those are a worse way to get mods, not a better one. There's nothing in the game that has an actual effect on anything that you have to pay to get, or that is unreasonable to get without paying for it. And for that, I'm grateful.

17 minutes ago, SonicSonedit said:

This is quite likely:

PWE who created super-grindy game about grind and loot boxes opening name Perfect Worldbought DE about two years ago. Mind that they hold 58% - this means they can force decisions upon DE (goodle: 50% share holding).

As an offtopic, I am the one who played Perfect World for quite a while with friends. This is a MMORPG, not so bad, but not nearly as good as Lineage 2 or WOW. The problem is it was pay to win from the beginning: they literally sold amulets which auto-restore your health when you are on low health, they work both in PVE and PVP and it's nearly impossible to completely a high lvl dungeons if tanks/healers dont have them. The another good example is Phoenix - a pet, without which Druid is useless class, but with this pet he is OP as hell. To get a phoenix, you need 200 phoenix feathers. They drop with 20% chance from loot boxes, which cost 1$. Make your numbers. And this is only tip of the iceberg. To get how derenged P2W was in PW, imagine this: there was a weekly "event" where players should open as much loot boxes as possible, and when players received something good, it was force-broadcasted all around whole world and typed in the upper-center of your screen. Your killing hard boss / killing a player who PK'ed your girlfriend? No matter! The huge sign about xXxDONATERJOExXx getting a SUPER RARE ENCHANTMENT STONE is far more important then avenging your GF. Enjoy.

PWE does not hold those shares. Sumpo does (or rather their holding company, forgot the name). PWE themselves aquired about 3% (as stated in the second link you provided), since they were ADVISORS during the deal.

On 01.01.2017 at 1:44 PM, UltimateSpinDash said:

PWE does not hold those shares. Sumpo does (or rather their holding company, forgot the name). PWE themselves aquired about 3% (as stated in the second link you provided), since they were ADVISORS during the deal.

PWE is a daughter company of shampoo.

On 01.01.2017 at 1:55 PM, UltimateSpinDash said:

There's no need for that if PWE is there daughter company.

The reason is quite simple - this way shampoo only pays taxes as a food company, otherwise would be multi-enterainment company. Basically they did it so they had less problems. But when it comes to aquisition of share hold, naturally they will hold it within head company. I bet you can find the rest on your own.

7 minutes ago, SonicSonedit said:

The reason is quite simple - this way shampoo only pays taxes as a food company, otherwise would be multi-enterainment company. Basically they did it so they had less problems. But when it comes to aquisition of share hold, naturally they will hold it within head company. I bet you can find the rest on your own.

Again, SOURCE!

It's been like this for ages...

Consoles get like 4 patches per year- consoles are at fault.

Investors- investors fault

Ps4 didn't even get a christmas deal last year- sonys fault

No mixed servers, which work perfectly well for other games- consoles

Mindless fanboys tend to be very creative in that regard.