Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mag users: is there any way to make her viable WITHOUT relying only on Magnetize + the Lanka/similar weps?

Jackviator

Question

I LOVE Mag Prime's visual design, but... well, after hours of pumping forma into her and then testing her against various factions at high levels in the Simulacrum, her skillset doesn't seem too useful, unless you focus entirely on pressing 2 and then firing a few shots with a select few weapons into the bubbles to exploit how buggy they are when you have weapons with punch-through and also projectiles with travel time, like the Lanka. Or alternatively, causing the Magnetize bubbles to do a massive explosion via weapons like the Mara Detron like DistantObserver found.

Problem is, I'm not satisfied with that. It's too boring to only rely on one skill. I want to be able to use all of her abilities and have them all be effective, even at Sortie levels. And while I don't mind utilizing certain weapons to be most effective, I'd still like to be able to choose hitscan weapons and such if I want to.

I've tried things like using Natural talent + Fracturing Crush, but in doing so it deprives Mag of 2 mod slots, on a frame that already needs pretty much every stat to be in the positive for all of her kit to be useful. I've tried dumping a bit of duration to get a bit more efficiency and power, but that means that her 2 and 3's durations just won't last as long as they really need to in order for her to be effective. I've tried 100%-130% efficiency, but her low energy pool and high casting costs at those percentages mean that she goes empty pretty quickly on such a power-spam heavy frame.

So... is there a way to make her a viable frame at Sortie levels that can still utilize all of her abilities? Some build I'm not seeing? Because as-is I'm not seeing a way to make her viable without making her into a boring, press-2-to-win frame that's only effective by utilizing certain weapons with very specific qualifications.

Edited by Jackviator

5 answers to this question

All her abilities are viable if you use ya noggin. Bullet attractor is great CC for problem targets like napalms etc and can give you some cover in tighter corridors etc. Pull is well, just great spammable CC. I only find crush lacking as even with the bonuses from her other abilities its damage falls of pretty early. Yes, polarise is one of her best abilities but if used in tandem with her others they all shine. She's just a ability spammy frame like nidus or saryn.

use a mixture of Pull, Magnetize, and Polarize to manipulate your Enemies. to weaken them, disable their capability to deal Damage to you, and nuke all of them.
and Crush if you have Fracturing Crush Equipped.

you can get 90% of the way there with the information documented on the Wiki as to how Abilities function, and interact with each other.

as for Magnetize, you can create a miniature nuclear bomb out of it even with a Lato, essentially.

Edited by taiiat

Magnetize works as listed for all weapons. It just has what I believe is unintended interactions with punch-through and AoE effects.

Her Polarize works fine at Sorties levels, It's when you go past Sorties that the ability falls off. Just like most ability Damage.

Casting Crush will get you killed. I never use Crush.

Pull is still great. Nice Panic button or to get enemies into a bubble.

If you're looking for build diversity. I don't think you'll find it in Mag. Least not like Banshee, Nyx, Loki, Rhino or any frames that are designed well.

Unfortunately no for me.

Pull, crush and polarize currently are all there to serve magnetize, to get enemies into the bubble and add damage to it. i don't even use fracturing crush as I want more enemies to come into the bubble.

However, I have not gotten bored of it. I use miter, torid & pox, supra and tetra, paracyst and staticor. Actually they all behave like the lanka to destroy things, but with arguably better CC while having less damage. (lanka bubble dmg is pretty inferior tho)

Main challenge is to protect the bubble. Melee shooter weapons allow you to fight off nullies while in your bubble. Torid and pox to block nullies. 

Magnetize's CC is not very reliable on its own, so the bubble is hardly protection (enemies can easily shoot you from behind, AOE and melee dmg gets to you, you can't easily stop infested from attacking your extractor just by magnetizing them. So pull and crush are there for that.

Edited by Preanette