Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Spy Drone Event, Boring And Unfaire? My Feedback.

Vakain

So we've got a new event up and running.
Moving through grineer levels with lvl 15+ and destroying spydrones.
Sounds like a tenno - space ninja - easter hunt, doesn't it?

Well it is and that's something good. Something exciting!

Getting a Snipetron Vandal as reward for killing 20 drones and fullfilling it? Sweet!
But there are also some undeniable reverses in this event.

So my feedback so far about this weekend event is:
It's getting realy boring after some runs and it is also unfaire in respect of the additional reward for clans.

Please let me explain you my opinion:

Why boring?

Space ninja "easter hunt" - drone hunting is boring?

At first it sounds awesome. It's fun so search for them with your friends and all are "Hey over here I got one! 8D" but exactly there we've got one of the problems. When you play with friends you compete with them. Why?

Well like this:

We've got a 4 player group up and running. Starting the event from second 1 and we were quite excited about this. Searching through grineer levels and destroying these drones. The first run was quit fun!

We destroyed approximate 7 drones. So we thought about the sharing part. Does it count for EACH player in the game when somebody destroys a drone? Looking in our player profile we saw that 3 of us got "2" but the forth player only "1". So, no there's the answer. YOU compete with friends in a single game lobby about these damn drones. Needless to say that this build up some tension between the members. We wanted to play TOGETHER that's why we're playing a coop game and not against each other. So the only efficient way to kill them is to play alone in an own game. And this is just lame. I'm not playing a coop game to play all the way alone when I've got some friends and buddys in my list to play with or even clan members who I could support.

The event went from:
"Uh hey drone hunting! Yay let's get them! 8D"
to:
"Ugh ... guess we've to do it alone them ... hmm .___."

The emotion from most people recently went to:

"Uff ... let's get this S#&$ over with ... this is boring ... I want to farm defense missions for experience instead."

And REALY?
An event shouldn't cause THESE feeling for the players.
It's meant to have some more fun over a special weekend everyone was waiting for and not cause boredom and frustration.

Even the most important part of the game just went obsolete: The co-operation part. Having fun with friends.

So these are the reasons why it is boring.

Why is it unfaire?

For this we need some information, given us by the developers for the event:

- Kill 20+ Drones & receive a SNIPETRON VANDAL!
- Don’t stop at 20—the top 100 players will receive a PRIMED CHAMBER MOD- first shot in new clip gives +25% bonus damage per fusion level.
- Part of a clan?  The top clans from 4 pre-determined tiers will receive a GRINEER DRONE STATUE for their dojo -- awarded after Update 9 (see below for tier/reward details)

**Following are the Clan ‘tiers’ and Clan Rewards:
1-10 members: Top 10 Clans
11-100 members: Top 5 clans
101-1000 members: Top 3 clans
1001+ members: Top 3 clans

[end quote]

First point:
Kill 20+ drones & receive snipetron vandal?
Sweet. Nothing to say against this!

Second point:

Top 100 player will receive a special mod?

Well, okay. Competetive I can understand that but not in this way.

You are all aware that there are THOUSANDS of players out there around the world who play this game, right?
And only 100 of them get this mod?

I'm sorry but the fact that we've to do this alone to be 100% efficient makes it even more lame.

I don't want to play the game over the whole weekend ALONE only to farm these things. There will be also some players who refuse to sleep the night only to be in the top 100. And realy? Playing this stuff the 3 days again, again (alone!) aaand again alone only to receive a mod? To compete with people in a way that is simply NO fun at all? I think we agree that we all have to sleep, eat and do some other stuff on a weekend than to do something like that. I don't want to play the game the whole time only that I've got a chance against these 100% hardcore gamers who play 3 days straight. That isn't fun, now is it?

Even if you can get the mod afterwards as a drop (which is okay and good this way) it is still unfaire and the definition of no-fun for all coop loving players who don't spend 3 days straight on this.

Third point:

When I first heard about this idea I was totaly excited!
A trophy for a clan to show everyone that we took part in an event? Great! THAT'S the spirit!

But then I saw these "rules". Aaaand yes it was quite demoralising.

Why? Let's see about this:

Only 21 Clans out of dozens if not hundreds of them can get this reward.
Hm, okay ... competition I get the idea, but even so I didn't liked it at all.

As mentioned in the livestream there're 4% of all clans which contain only 1 person.
That's okay and absolutly fine if you want to build your own dojo!

But let's calculate about this:
A clan of only "1" person should compete with clans up to "10"?

So this one person have to do the "work" 10 times as hard only to have a slighlty chance to get this trophy?

What's even with bigger numbers!?

How about you're happy your clan reached 150 and NOW you compete with a clan with 900 members?

Now the "150 member" clan have to work 6 times as hard to compete with the "900 member" clan to even have a slightly chance to be in the top 3! Plus the fact: EVERYONE ALONE to be 100% efficient. REALY?!

Try to make a clan ordering THIS to your members!
"Hey we want to win and we don't care if you want to have fun but you have to play all alone and farm these things 3 days straight ..."

THIS is the very definition of unfaire. I'm sorry but I'm realy frustrated and demoralized by this fact / these facts.

So let's summarise the facts:

- To be 100% efficient you HAVE TO play ALONE in a coop game

- To have a slightly chance to compete to be in the top 100 "drone killer" - List,

you have to play 3 days straight - ALONE and everytime the same lame thing again

- "Border clans" got a huge advantage (like 900 members) or disadvantage (like 150 members) on the throphy hunting

So these are the most important facts which lead me to the conclusion:
"This event sucks. Lame, demoralizing, unfaire and against the spirit of coop."

But I don't want to rant about it without stating some ideas to make it better because I love this game!

- Please allow this "drone counter" to count for EVERYONE in the game session! The session killed 8 drones? So every player got "8 kills" added to theire drone kill - counter! THIS encourages coop! This is what the game is about!

- You already killed 20 drones, so your snipetron vandal is secured for you, okay! But how about killing like 100 or 150 drones to get an awesome mod?! More encouraging because the players get the feeling "WE can do it! It is possible! I can get the reward!" This als encourages them to play together and even longer for this event! Together they can be more efficient to search and destroy these drones when they spread out in the mission!

- Giving EVERY clan the chance to obtain this trophy for theire dojos! Why? You think it's nice to have a bit competetive, of course, yes it is but not under THESE circumstances! And wouldn't you like to have players staning in theire dojo infront of the trophy to proudly present this statue with

"Look at this! WE took part in this event in this early state of the game and we did it! We've got a goal and we succeded to reach it because of our teamwork! This is the price which WE achieved all together!"

rather than

"Ugh yeah there was an event with farming drones but we haven't had the number of players to compete in any chance, screw this anyway ..."

Give all of the clans a chance! Every player counts! We all want to have fun! Give them all a goal like (only an idea of mine):

Members of the clan * 100 = Goal to get this trophy in the dojo

THIS is a solid number and ALL the players can see and are able to reach it, TOGETHER! In co-operational mode! Like this game is made for!

So that's all so far.
I realy hope the developers can read and think about this.
But for now it's about your opinion. What do YOU think?
Could you follow my thoughts? Do you agree or disagree and why?

I love this game and want to play it with friends for lots of fun and I hope I can improve this for all of us!

Sincerely
Vakain

Completely useless thread. honestly, the only "competition" is really the first 20. You can do that in one or 2 runs. After that, you're purely "clan" farming.

So, unfair event? Nope.

Co-op Event? Yes, if you're in a clan, and your co-op members are in the same clan as you are.

I've made 3 runs, got 39 Drones, since i run a small sized clan, i don't even ask people to join me to kick some drones, only made the 20 i needed for the Snipertron Vandal, and i'm good. All other drones i get, are a bonus towards the event achievement bar

I actually agree with all of your points. 
It is kind of annoying having to compete with rushers in missions just to get some drone kills and if you do want some, you'll need to rush as well or go play alone. 

I would really like the Primed Chamber Mod but I don't see myself working all weekend long to get it, some people just don't have the time when you have a family of your own. More power to the top 100 who do get the mod, because they deserve it but I would of preferred it to be less exclusive to top 100 and more like the OP said, kill 150 or so and you'll receieve the mod, more people will participate in the event. 

I've killed 33 of them already and to be honest, I don't even feel like farming them anymore, it's tedious and can be frustrating when going against rushers like I stated above and yeah I can go alone but thats just boring. 

I think a lot of people "MAY" feel the same as me, they reach 20+ Informers and just go back to Xini/Narc or something along those lines, which in turn hurts the general purpose of the event, which is community wide. 

Edited by Auxilium1

I agree with the general idea of your thread, there could be more than 100 winners for mods and more than 21 clans that win the throphy.

And the fact that finding the drones works better in solo is also quite lame.

There are a couple things you got wrong though, killing 20 drones secures you the snipetronV only if that community bar fills itself, so there is a reason to keep killing them. The prize PrimedChamber will also most likely be added to the drop poll just like it was for ThunderBolt and the other 2 mods from the FMoa event.

Edited by CubedOobleck

Completely useless thread. honestly, the only "competition" is really the first 20. You can do that in one or 2 runs. After that, you're purely "clan" farming.

So, unfair event? Nope.

Co-op Event? Yes, if you're in a clan, and your co-op members are in the same clan as you are.

I've made 3 runs, got 39 Drones, since i run a small sized clan, i don't even ask people to join me to kick some drones, only made the 20 i needed for the Snipertron Vandal, and i'm good. All other drones i get, are a bonus towards the event achievement bar

Except.......if you want Primed Chamber, you MUST go it alone. In fact, Clans are more likely to win the competition if every player goes alone.

Let's say there's two clans of 10 competing against each other.

Clan A splits up into three groups: 4, 4, and 2.

Clan B has everybody going it alone.

All 20 players do E Prime on Earth (fastest/easiest way to farm drones).

Let's say both clans get an identical mission to spawn, both missions have 8 drones in the mission.

Clan A will have 24 Drones towards their total.

Clan B will have 80 drone kills towards their total.

Both clans used 10 players, but the one clan will get almost four times as many kills.

This increases exponentially on clan size.

Let's say two clans of 100 people.

Clan A splits into 25 groups of 4, Clan B has 100 groups of 1.

Clan A walks away from that same mission with 200 Kills.

Clan B will end up with 800 kills.

Edited by Xylia

The prize PrimedChamber will also most likely be added to the drop poll just like it was for ThunderBolt and the other 2 mods from the FMoa event.

those mods weren't added to the drop pool till someone "datamined" the defense rewards and called out DE on it.

those mods weren't added to the drop pool till someone "datamined" the defense rewards and called out DE on it.

It is likely even without the datamining DE would have changed the Defense rewards: People were complaining about Endless Hellfires even before the datamining and DE outright said "yes, we know there are too many Hellfires dropping, the whole table is a mess and needs a rework".

I'm sure the datamining contributed, but I doubt it was the sole reason they changed the drop tables.

I don't really care for clans or exclusive mods, 

but

The point about it being a co-op game, everyone in group should get the kill. It's tasteless to need individual kills, where there are rushers and such, to  force people to go solo to get their quota. And even if everyone in the group did get the kill, still would need to solo to maximize efficiency to reach 100% quickly. It's anti-co-op. It's anti-fun. :(

I don't really care for clans or exclusive mods, 

but

The point about it being a co-op game, everyone in group should get the kill. It's tasteless to need individual kills, where there are rushers and such, to  force people to go solo to get their quota. And even if everyone in the group did get the kill, still would need to solo to maximize efficiency to reach 100% quickly. It's anti-co-op. It's anti-fun. :(

I do find it kinda funny that they keep trying to encourage us to group up by always adding mobs that are very solo-unfriendly, and then they stick an event in the game that pretty much forces you to go solo.

It is like ".......wut?"

Thankfully it is Grineer and not something stupid like Infested, though I bet that'll be next event. We'll have some new Infested mob to kill and I bet we're going to be shoehorned into going Solo so we can use up Revives on Disruptors and Toxics (because it'll be Lv15+).

Agreed with the OP with the fact that farming alone is way more productive and even more discourages... I got my SnipertronV done and also for my friends that are in my clan that can't get the weapon because they are traveling or without internet... So yeah... I really would appriciate the mod, but... Meh, I will just play around on earth on E Prime ALONE because that gives me a little bit of the false feelling that I will achieve something.

Also, why is it that we require the entire community to work productively on this so we can get the reward we worked for. It'd be much better if they set quotas for each person, rather than a global quota, and also shared kills in a group throughout the group.

Except.......if you want Primed Chamber, you MUST go it alone. In fact, Clans are more likely to win the competition if every player goes alone.

Let's say there's two clans of 10 competing against each other.

Clan A splits up into three groups: 4, 4, and 2.

Clan B has everybody going it alone.

All 20 players do E Prime on Earth (fastest/easiest way to farm drones).

Let's say both clans get an identical mission to spawn, both missions have 8 drones in the mission.

Clan A will have 24 Drones towards their total.

Clan B will have 80 drone kills towards their total.

Both clans used 10 players, but the one clan will get almost four times as many kills.

This increases exponentially on clan size.

Let's say two clans of 100 people.

Clan A splits into 25 groups of 4, Clan B has 100 groups of 1.

Clan A walks away from that same mission with 200 Kills.

Clan B will end up with 800 kills.

Indeed, but hear me out, if you really want it, you have to work it out.

If it's a easy achieved goal, like the vandal, of 20 kills, everyone will have it in no time, won't be any challenge, it would be easier to just give it to all who participated.

DE wanted to make a competition, don't know if you're a fan of PvP, but this is the most common PvE competition. In this specific case, a solo competition for the mod, and the group competition for the statue.

Drone spawns are based off enemy spawns so more people does mean more drones.  That said I get 16 a solo run on Cordelia so I think the spirit of your argument is correct.  Just taking your time and clearing rooms to trigger more spawns you can easily get 40 per person per hour I'd think.

I have killed 24 of em. First thing I did when I woke up. Or infact, when I ate my breakfast.

Lets see now, that was like 7-8 hours ago. I haven't killed a single drone since then.

Whats the point? I like it story-wise, but seems odd to place these drones on Grineer levels only.

Why not corpus or Infested levels? Why are the Grineer spying on Grineer?

OP said :

- To have a slightly chance to compete to be in the top 100 "drone killer" - List,

you have to play 3 days straight - ALONE and everytime the same lame thing again

- "Border clans" got a huge advantage (like 900 members) or disadvantage (like 150 members) on the throphy hunting

I say: players like you are the reason soooo many games out there are getting dumbed down so all you have to do in most games to get cool stuff is just show up. 

where is the fun in that? where is the reward for your time invested? don't you think players out there want to have nice toys that others don't? the chance to get that awesome mod is there. you just have to spend a lot of time to get it. thats your reward for all the time put in! 

suck it up and play. or don't

OP said :

I say: players like you are the reason soooo many games out there are getting dumbed down so all you have to do in most games to get cool stuff is just show up. 

where is the fun in that? where is the reward for your time invested? don't you think players out there want to have nice toys that others don't? the chance to get that awesome mod is there. you just have to spend a lot of time to get it. thats your reward for all the time put in! 

suck it up and play. or don't

Except you're missing the point.

We don't mind having to work, BUT........

In this specific case, a solo competition for the mod, and the group competition for the statue.

There is no "GROUP" anything about this event.

You are PUNISHED for going in as a group.

Any group, no matter what size, would make MORE progress if each member went SOLO than they would going in as a GROUP.

I completely agree with OP. Here in france we have the Classes Préparatoires, a.k.a. "prepa". This is a two-year cursus, parallel to University, which ends in a competitive exam. 3000+ people competing for a couple hundred places in prestigious schools. Get in the top 100 and you have the right to attend school. Fail, and you just lost two years of your life for nothing (I simplify but that is the basics). I had luck, some of my friends hadn't.

I am perfectly fine with having to work for the reward. Working hard for something is normal and makes said thing feels all the more rewarding. What I disagree with having to work harder than your comrades. Simply because by the time I launched the game, some people were bragging about having 700+ kills. And the ones who says nothing and keep farming were probably even higher. I stand no chance.

I stopped after getting my 20 kills, because what's the point? And now here I am, half hoping that this event will fail.

If more kills meant, I don't know, a free potato for my SnipetronV, or a chance to get the dojo statue that isn't bloody nil, I wouldn't be here. I would be out there killing those balloons to compensate for my internet-deprived Warlord and my newbie fellow who can't kill the drones because he hasn't anything to kill them with. But I only stand a chance if I kill one observer every second non stop until the end of the event. So I just stopped.

Fair*

Also I disagree with you. my two cents.

Usually, when posting your opinions, you're supposed to back it up with actual reasoning. Saying "I disagree" with no reason as to why is pretty much a waste of a forum post and is not constructive whatsoever.

Not saying there's anything wrong with disagreement, I'm more saying that you should provide reasons as to why you disagree. *shrugs*

Edited by Xylia

So, unfair event? Nope.

Useless? I agree with a lot of this. Three minutes in, my best friends started complaining about not getting kills, and that one friend was hogging them all. I agree with all the points in this thread.

Except you're missing the point.

We don't mind having to work, BUT........

There is no "GROUP" anything about this event.

You are PUNISHED for going in as a group.

Any group, no matter what size, would make MORE progress if each member went SOLO than they would going in as a GROUP.

ever been on wrestling team? or highschool wrestling match? its both GROUP and SOLO sport. just becuase its labeled "group" doesn't mean you HAVE to group with anyone

I did not miss the point.

*to elaborate*  when everyones individual points counts towards a collective pool. thats both group and solo

Edited by Rompido

ever been on wrestling team? or highschool wrestling match? its both GROUP and SOLO sport. just becuase its labeled "group" doesn't mean you HAVE to group with anyone

I did not miss the point.

Last time I checked, there aren't too many competitions that allow you to group, but yet punish you for grouping at the same time.

Wrestling is pretty much a solo-only event. You have Wrestling "Teams" (I use this term very loosely and with hesitation), but each individual match is 1v1 IIRC.

Name a sport that allows you to group, encourages you to group, but yet punishes you for grouping and rewards you more if you solo, and your Team moves further in the competition if all of its teammates go solo.

I can't think of one.