Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Spoilers]My understanding on what Technocyte is at the moment and its possible relations

EmptyDevil

It's all but common knowlage that the bio matirial that makes up most of a warframe is at least partly technocyte. As for the sentiants. Well, there are a few things we could go on.

lets start with sentinels. Sentinels, as we see from the cephalon fragments, do not originate in sol. But instead simply kinda showed up on the edge of the system, it's mentioned that they share an alarming similarity with sentiants and thus could be made of the same thing.

so I did some poking around and found that all the non faction based sentinels (not diriga, Helios, or djin) share one interesting common requirement, nano spores. It's a bit of a stretch but it's a viable thought 

just to be safe I checked the requirements for the war and Brocken war, the only actual confirmed "sentiant" items we have access too and found they required nothing to do with the infestation, they both required orokin tech and a chemical produced by shellfish though

after looking into what the closest things we have to the sentiants are made of, I can say that I don't know, can someone tell my whether nano spores are actually infestation or not

the sentinels might not count because they have a prime, even though the orokin were long dead by the time Tenno explorers found these little guys so DE may have written themselves into a corner.

hope this helps

1 minute ago, RAGTHEDOLL said:

the sentinels might not count because they have a prime, even though the orokin were long dead by the time Tenno explorers found these little guys so DE may have written themselves into a corner.

What makes you think they were only found after the Orokin collapse? Nothing suggests that at all. If anything, the fact that the Tenno had to go into hiding after the War as well as the Tenno being highly useful in scouting the system perimeter for Sentinent incursion point to the Sentinels being found during the time of the war.

3 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Considering the Orokin created the infestation as well, how is it not possible?

Are you trying to refute the fact that building blocks of a creation come first and not the creation itself? Because this is why it isn't possible for Sentients to predate its source material:

15 minutes ago, EmptyDevil said:

The Sentients wouldn't be first because the Orokin created them. The Orokin created them from something, so it would have to be a small building block as a starting point, not a large preexisting organism. It would be like saying humans came before atoms.

Make sure you know the distinction between Technocyte and Infested.

Technocyte = a nanite.

Infested = a organism infested with nanites.

8 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

As for the term "technocyte," The last time it was used by the developers to directly refer to in-game aspects was in February 2016, so not too long ago compared to the full history of the game.

Are you telling me the word is canon? Because i know the word is...

I think the charts make alot of sense.

You could even include Orokin there given a few thingd.

The red potion surely is nanites in a bottle from the way a cephalon is created. The logic would suggest the Orokin stored minds and biosignatures using Technocyte=technorganic. 

What do Orokin use? Morhics. Forma.

What are the colonist-starfish described as before going to Tau? Living machine.

What did Hunhow say? They make weapons from our bones?

What is the virus? What caused the plague on Old Earth? It infects a organism and mutations occur. And dispite this,  life survives and intelligence exist there.

Imagine nanomachines programmed to cure and heal and protect at all cost. Imagine it mutates in order to meet those criteria. Since the Infestation absorbs new forms and new minds into it, that gives reason to suspect it was designed to do so.

Kuva is the Orokin minds (souls?) Stored. Is it far fetched that they used a similar method to store the bioform?

Yes I very much believe these machines were at the very heart of the Orokin and it gave them the power to play Gods.

Just now, EmptyDevil said:

Are you trying to refute the fact that building blocks of a creation come first and not the creation itself? Because this is why it isn't possible for Sentients to predate its source material:

Technocyte = a nanite.

Are you trying to force the idea that you need a organic/nanotech viral agent before a simple nanotech system? You are choosing the outcome then attempting to force the evidence to support it. Why would they make a more complex system then make another that is simply a single part of the former?

And no, I was supporting that term by providing evidence as to when it was last documented as being used by a developer.

3 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

What makes you think they were only found after the Orokin collapse? Nothing suggests that at all. If anything, the fact that the Tenno had to go into hiding after the War as well as the Tenno being highly useful in scouting the system perimeter for Sentinent incursion point to the Sentinels being found during the time of the war.

It could also be possible, since prime versions exist, that they were created by the Orokin to assist the Tenno during the war. Considering they are referred to as "sentinels", it's not unreasonable to think they were utilized for scouting during the war, and were left just outside the origin system when the war ended to continue monitoring for future sentient threats. Time passes and eventually they are found once again, and now serve a role by the Tenno's side.

22 minutes ago, Beartornado said:

Except multiple posters in this thread are overlapping Infestation and Technocyte definitions. OP is trying to say that Technocyte is the origin of all techno-biological weapon variants we now refer to as "Infestation," pre-dating sentients themselves because it was used to form them. 

Whether or not this is correct is yet to be known, it's just OP's take on things.

Precisely.

6 minutes ago, arch111 said:

I think the charts make alot of sense.

You could even include Orokin there given a few thingd.

The red potion surely is nanites in a bottle from the way a cephalon is created. The logic would suggest the Orokin stored minds and biosignatures using Technocyte=technorganic. 

What do Orokin use? Morhics. Forma.

What are the colonist-starfish described as before going to Tau? Living machine.

What did Hunhow say? They make weapons from our bones?

What is the virus? What caused the plague on Old Earth? It infects a organism and mutations occur. And dispite this,  life survives and intelligence exist there.

Imagine nanomachines programmed to cure and heal and protect at all cost. Imagine it mutates in order to meet those criteria. Since the Infestation absorbs new forms and new minds into it, that gives reason to suspect it was designed to do so.

Kuva is the Orokin minds (souls?) Stored. Is it far fetched that they used a similar method to store the bioform?

Yes I very much believe these machines were at the very heart of the Orokin and it gave them the power to play Gods.

Pretty much spot on. Technocyte's nature alone can be inferred by its very etymology. We can combine that with what it does and the traits it shares with various things in game, to infer that it is a nanite with a multitude of applications. Most players automatically assume that "Technocyte" is synonymous with "Infested" when the words mean 2 very different things.

1 minute ago, Beartornado said:

It could also be possible, since prime versions exist, that they were created by the Orokin to assist the Tenno during the war. Considering they are referred to as "sentinels", it's not unreasonable to think they were utilized for scouting during the war, and were left just outside the origin system when the war ended to continue monitoring for future sentient threats. Time passes and eventually they are found once again, and now serve a role by the Tenno's side.

Had they been made by the Orokin, they would likely not be based on Sentient tech which, at that time, attacked them. The drones were also ridiculously useless as combat drones against something as large as Hunhow. Lastly, why would the Orokin exile a useful tool out there and not keep some for themselves? More plausible is that they were early-development drones of the sentients used for building the Solar Rail and dealing with anything native to the Tau system that managed to traverse the long way back to the Orokin system the same way they arrived at Tau in the first place. They were not yet advanced enough to have sentience of the same level as the ones that attacked, and the trip would have taken an utmost minimum of 12 years (Tau Ceti is 12 light years away, but since travel at light speed isnt a thing, this time is probably much larger). This would mean the Sentients at Tau would develop more as the sentinel drones traveled back, effectively being "left behind" in the evolutionary progression.

Hmm. The sentinels right away formed an alliance with the Tenno. I allways liked this part since it was of course the warframes they felt a connection to.

This is Interesting because it told us, in DEs Trade Mark way of giving Lore, that they were alien.

So the big question was why these machines accepted warframes as their masters if they were so different.

Unless of course, they were not so different after all.

I don't think infestation was invented to counter the sentients. Imo it already existed and they merely adapted into a virulent combat strain while a separate form would be used for other means, such as warframe development. Sentients could be possibly made of a non combat strain that existed before they weaponised it, if that was so it would make sense to fight infestation with another strain as it probably cannot fight itself. But hey just my thoughts to it.

Edited by Miser_able

4 minutes ago, Miser_able said:

I don't think infestation was invented counter the sentients. Imo it already existed and we nearly adapted into a virulent combat strain while a separate form would be used for other means, such as warframe development. Sentients could be possibly made of a non combat strain that existed before they weaponised it, if that are so it would make sense to fight infestation with a nother strain as it probably cannot fight itself. But heys just my thoughts to it.

Not really sure how a hybrid viral/nanotech bioweapon could exist naturally. Remember Dark Sector is non canon, and it had to have been invented at some point. Lastly, considering the Orokin were masters at genetic manipulation, making the infestation would not be beyond their skill set.

Edited by NeithanDiniem

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Not really sure how a hybrid viral/nanotech bioweapon could exist naturally. Remember Dark Sector is non canon, and it had to have been invented at some point. Lastly, considering the Orokin were masters at genetic manipulation, making the infestation would not be beyond their skill set.

I'm not saying they didn't make the infestation. I'm saying they didn't make it for the sole purpose of fighting the sentients

Edited by Miser_able

1 minute ago, Miser_able said:

I'm not saying they didn't make the infestation. I'm saying they didn't make it for the sole purpose of fighting the sentients

Oh no that likely wasn't its only goal, it easily can be usable as a way to develop new organisms and the like, a task they were quite proficient at. It likely started out as something far less dangerous (since making something that can threaten the safety of the Orokin system was typically met with execution) and was enhanced after the fact. However the order of development would still naturally place the tech behind the Sentients as having been made first.

2 minutes ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Oh no that likely wasn't its only goal, it easily can be usable as a way to develop new organisms and the like, a task they were quite proficient at. It likely started out as something far less dangerous (since making something that can threaten the safety of the Orokin system was typically met with execution) and was enhanced after the fact. However the order of development would still naturally place the tech behind the Sentients as having been made first.

Exactly

Im sure the lore of this game, what little has been revealed, is rooted/based (at its core) in some other, uber-popular, mainstream, intellectual properties like star wars and things of that nature (because the ideas had to come from somewhere), so find out what they are and you will likely know the whole story or thereabouts (at least in terms of the technocyte). Nearly everything is derivative of something else. 

Edited by (PS4)GR13V4NC3

The Orokin feared living machines above all. Their Principles, whatever they are I still don't get it, made them sure what they created would rise up against them.

Ballas knew that. He STILL manipulated them into building and sending the Starfish machines to Tau.

They were supposed to be marooned there.

Remember Second Dream? The colonists had trained for Tau excited to go there. Then the ship was lost in the Void.

So either the Zariman was a Colony ship going to Tau BEFORE thr Sentients were built. The Solution was deemed a Failure. Then came Crewmen and Starfish. 

Or. Sentients built rail and then Zariman was lost when it was to use the Rail.

I am still not sure of this order. Hunhow hated the Orokin. He thought warframes was just puppets (maby they are maby not) and they went to Sol to wage war even tjough the Flaw existed. Pretty serious hate.

It was at the end of the war that Tenno and Warframes became a thing in the war. Tenno was a rumor since the Void Era, and an Era is usually quite long.

Could it be that the warframes originally was a new type of living machine since "They used our weapons against us", and they meant biotechnology? 

They were trying to replicate the Sentients when suddenly the Tenno posessed them - giving them the ultimate weapon: a nonsentient void-machine piloted by a "human".

The Infestation was a weapon that backfired. So they used that technology to build warframes and weapons to use instead.

1 minute ago, (PS4)GR13V4NC3 said:

Im sure the lore of this game, what little has been revealed, is rooted/based (at its core) in some other, uber-popular, mainstream, intellectual property like star wars or something of that nature (because the ideas had to come from somewhere), so find out what that is and you will likely know the whole story (or thereabouts). 

Watching Star Wars would do little to helping you figure out the lore of Warframe...

Just now, (PS4)GR13V4NC3 said:

Obviously, but that's not what's being said.

Then your comment made little sense, it was vague as it is. If your implication was that learning about other IPs of a similar nature to Warframe in theme could help you theory craft and deduce a logical explanation, sure. They wont however simply make it all make sense.

1 minute ago, NeithanDiniem said:

Then your comment made little sense, it was vague as it is. If your implication was that learning about other IPs of a similar nature to Warframe in theme could help you theory craft and deduce a logical explanation, sure. They wont however simply make it all make sense.

Yes, it won't give you all the answers but something to go on and at least use as a narrow-down point. You must use you mind for the rest. If the DEvs really did only use very few influences, for the entire game, to the point where you could single out a particular one as "the one," I'd be very surprised. But in terms of the concept of the technocyte, in and of itself, that seems like something that is highly specific and would have a small amount of sources.

1 hour ago, EmptyDevil said:

Technocyte = a nanite.

Not at all, organisms come first, but in this case, techncocyte is a fusion of organic and mechnical, its name being machine cell basically. I would figure that Sentient are living creatures made with inorganic elements, an artifical lifeform of sorts while infested are organisms that have been reassembled and 'evolved' into new shapes by the nanospores of technocyte. I think trying to work out the relationship of the Orokin, Sentient, and Infested is a cool idea and I think charts are a great way of making such things organized, I am just not sold on Sentient being technocyte based and think them to be a seperate creation.

mmmm....interesting dialog. However, read cannon.

Orokin created Sentients (as terraforming tools), who gained sentience and came back to wage war against the Orokin.

Orokin created the Infested virus to combat the Sentients.

Orokin created Tenno to combat the Sentients.

Sentients created Natah (Lotus) to infiltrate Orokin and destroy the Tenno.

Hunhow…is a Sentient.

Technocyte is part of Dark Sector cannon, which was a precursor to Warframe. Though, I'm not sure cannon for both games is related as the Tenno origin would be significantly different.

2 minutes ago, Urlan said:

Not at all, organisms come first, but in this case, techncocyte is a fusion of organic and mechnical, its name being machine cell basically. I would figure that Sentient are living creatures made with inorganic elements, an artifical lifeform of sorts while infested are organisms that have been reassembled and 'evolved' into new shapes by the nanospores of technocyte. I think trying to work out the relationship of the Orokin, Sentient, and Infested is a cool idea and I think charts are a great way of making such things organized, I am just not sold on Sentient being technocyte based and think them to be a seperate creation.

Where then do the Void factor in?

The infested and warframes can channel void power. Sentients are sensetive to it.

I wonder if the Flaw was deliberate, that the same was true for warframes. That in turn would mean they knew void energy was harmful and allso knew how to shield themselves from it (Mag uses a Void shield for example).

I have allways been bothered by the fact it was so convenient that Tenno can use a technology based on infested that so happens to channel void into a weapon.

2 minutes ago, arch111 said:

Where then do the Void factor in?

The infested and warframes can channel void power. Sentients are sensetive to it.

I wonder if the Flaw was deliberate, that the same was true for warframes. That in turn would mean they knew void energy was harmful and allso knew how to shield themselves from it (Mag uses a Void shield for example).

I have allways been bothered by the fact it was so convenient that Tenno can use a technology based on infested that so happens to channel void into a weapon.

As this is all speculation... I imagine that the Orokin were (masters of) tinkering with things and at the very least were competent enough to infuse the genetics they created with void energy or a way to utilize it. According to what was released so far, it seems that if they always know how, they only decided to experiment with using it when the Zarimon Accident happened. If not the case, then through experimenting on/with the tenno, they discovered how to control the void energies. I don't know.

When has DE ever said that Warframe is a direct follow up to Dark Sector? Nano spores are the only modern reference to Technocyte, in the early days of Warframe there where more mentions but they have been slowly but surely removed as time has passed. For example the early description of Jupiter. http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Jupiter?oldid=30081 The dwindling number of references to Technocyte leads me to believe that its inclusion was as placeholder only, until proper lore was developed.  At this point Nano Spores are the ONLY current mention of Technocyte in Warframe as far as I know. There are definitely allusions/references to Dark Sector but a reference is not the same thing as canon.

Any link between Dark Sector and Warframe is assumed on your part as DE has never said that Warframe is a sequel or even that it takes place in the same universe. Only references exist like the word Tenno. The Tenno's name is a reference to the protagonist of Dark Sector Hayden Tenno, but they are not actually his successors, their name actually comes from the ship they were on when they where exposed to the void the Zariman Ten Zero. Ten 0, Ten Oh, Tenoh, Tenno. Their name is just a bastardization of Ten Zero so we are literally calling them the TenZeros. 

Until DE officially links the two universes any connection between them is assumed, and until such time as an official statement or link is made they should be treated as wholly separate entities.