Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Devstream 85 idea - Minibosses

main_antagonist

During the last Devstream from memory I think Steve noted they want to add more challenging enemies to missions and that the Acolytes were a great challenge for players and there was potential to bring them back. 

This got me thinking about other enemies that are already implemented into the game but not specifically PVE, more so arena modes ... Rathuum and The Index! @[DE]Steve @[DE]Rebecca

Executioners on Rescue missions for Grineer - The Lotus tells us that they are gassing the hostage perhaps that could still be a thing but we could have Executioners spawn to fight us while we try to break the hostage out! This would be an alternative method of farming the mod drops from these enemies while also making Rescue missions more challenging and it fits the theme.

Brokers for Spy missions to protect their 'investments'. - This could be assets such as stock shares or property deeds they own ... Failing a Vault would prompt the spawn of a Broker to protect their investments! Other such examples of why this works is valuables that would be placed in the vault for temporary storage before the buyer receives such an item that was listed for sale. Obviously what we have been stealing is intelligence etc (digital information) Perhaps this would expand upon this more simply as the information for where such items were stored and we are stealing passwords and coordinates.

TL;DR 

Rescue spawns Executioners for Grineer

Spy spawns Brokers for Corpus

Problem with this is that executioners and brokers are still killed by raw damage. There's not really any strategy involved in killing them, you just point the biggest gun in their direction and BLAMP. The point of adding minibosses would be to break up the flow with skill-based challenges, without getting rid of the core "mow down hordes of mooks" gameplay. So they'd need to have weakpoints to attack for massive damage, or terrain-based damage, or something that doesn't involve a Tigris right to the goolies. 

If you recall Solar Rail Specters were meant to be "mini-bosses". IIRC a quote about being like "dark souls challenges", maybe for a starting player, i have one shot every specter i faced. As long enemy scaling and power creep are not fixed, mini bosses will just be bullet sponges, or will slow down missions by requiring annoying gimmicks.

7 minutes ago, John89brensen said:

If you recall Solar Rail Specters were meant to be "mini-bosses". IIRC a quote about being like "dark souls challenges", maybe for a starting player, i have one shot every specter i faced. As long enemy scaling and power creep are not fixed, mini bosses will just be bullet sponges, or will slow down missions by requiring annoying gimmicks.

specters? mini boss? All I had to do is cast Radial Blind and win. I even scan them before I stab them.

Edited by dataman88

Just now, dataman88 said:

specters? mini boss? All I had to do is cast Radial Blind and win. I even scan them.

Exactly. A few times i pulled a Saitama by letting them attack me first before returning fire, sadly they are as under equipped to deal with veterans, as veterans are equppied to deal with them.

Help Clem missions have minibosses spawn halfway through depending on the faction. Hyena/Jackal for corpus, juggernaut for infested, and I think manics for grineer. I'm surprised we don't get these for sortie survivals.

21 minutes ago, MrJxt said:

Help Clem missions have minibosses spawn halfway through depending on the faction. Hyena/Jackal for corpus, juggernaut for infested, and I think manics for grineer. I'm surprised we don't get these for sortie survivals.

One of the Gustrak Three actualy spawns for Grineer.

Corpus its the jackal double thing you have in grineer spy who gets activated on alarm in one room or Void sabotage against Corpus with the Void Key.