Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon Help - Karak

(XBOX)DIESLOAN

Question

Hey everyone,

Just a general question coming from a newbie. I absolutely love the game so far and I'm currently playing a Rhino because it seems easiest with it's Iron skin. I was told by a friend to use the Karak and mainly focus on getting my Serration up on it. I just got to Jupiter now and it seems like it's getting a lot harder to kill things and I wondered if anyone had any suggestions on a good gun I could pick up quickly that would help me improve my game.

Thanks alot! 

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, rapt0rman said:

Can you list your full mod set up for the karak?

I apologize. I'll get right back to you. I should of written it down before I went to work and asked the question. I don't really have much. I have serration and mag capacity, and ammo mod... I dont remember what else nothing special. 

Kinda what Ashrah said, but:

To keep things simple for right now, I wouldn't worry about mods acquired from the more advanced game modes like heavy caliber or shred just yet, but you should work on getting ahold of split chamber (you can get it pretty early on as a reward from excavations), and you'll need elemental mods in order to properly deal with the factions you're up against. I'm also going to assume your karak doesn't have a catalyst in it and thus has pretty limited mod space, so toxin by itself is still extremely useful against the corpus.

I don't have any of the "best"mods (e.g. Split Chamber), but I've taken this setup into the exterminate at Narcissus on Neptune.  It works OK taking down a few enemies at a time, but it can't handle swarms of enemies.  As it's been said above, focus on the elemental builds - I've got an 11.4% status chance on this, and with the ammo this thing spits out I'm almost guaranteed to proc a viral status - which cuts the enemy health in half.  I also play solo a bunch, so the Hush is great to keep enemies from ganging up on me.

This setup could definitely be improved, but something like this should get you through Jupiter & Europa.

qgFeemJ.jpg

If you're looking for more advice, my opinion is that:

• enemy levels 1-15: focus on the raw damage for the enemy type (e.g., impact for Corpus & puncture for Grineer)
  • enemy levels 16-30: put a potato on your primary weapon(s) and focus on the right element (e.g., magnetic for Corpus, corrosive for (most) Grineer)
  • enemy levels 31+: work on crit and/or status.  Add Forma as required.

I'm only MR9 and I'm currently working on clearing Pluto, so I'm not done with the star chart nor have I tried the top level missions, so take my advice for what it's worth.

Oh, and have fun - try some weapons and see which ones make you smile when you use them.  Some days I love sniping w/my bows and some days I love rag-dolling enemies with my Sonicor.

17 hours ago, (PS4)HammerOfTheMist said:

qgFeemJ.jpg

It's nice to try and help, but I'm sorry to say that your build is pretty awful.

Serration, Cryo Rounds and Infected Clip are good, but the other mods...

Hush: This is a mod you exclusively use if you want to avoid any detection. Once the enemies trigger the alarms, this mod is entirely useless.

Ammo Drum: If you fear running out of ammo, make sure you need less by modding more damage instead of using this mod. It doesn't help that the amount of ammo you get from this mod is pathetically low, even at max rank.

Magazine Warp: Not as bad as Ammo Drum, but still severely underpowered in its actual effect.

Hammer Shot: This can be used on weapons that have high critical chance and damage and maybe a high status chance like for example the Grakata, but the Karak has neither of those, so it's pointless to use it on that weapon.

Rifle Aptitude: Never use this mod, ever. It's pure garbage and has no significant effect on any weapon in the whole arsenal.

Not including Hush, that's a total of 27 energy that you could use to fit in Hellfire and Stormbringer to deal radiation damage, which is highly effective against Grineer using alloy armor.

You won't be able to fit all desired mods on your weapon unless you put Orokin Catalyst (aka potato) and probably few Forma. That is especially true for multishot mods as they tend to cost a lot of points. If you have a spare potato or two and you enjoy the Karak as a weapon (overall usage, don't take into account problem with killing stuff) then it is good candidate for it. However If you are at least MR 4 or 5 you can first try few shotguns (Sobek, Hek - MR4) and other weapons (Tonkor - MR5) and put the potato into the one you enjoy the most.

Mod your weapon first for base damage (Serration) and elemental damage regarding target faction: magnetic or gas versus corpus, blast or corrosion vs. infestation, corrosion or radiation vs. grineer.

If you don't have a potato on your weapon put there just Serration ranked as high as you can (at least rank 6, optimally rank 8) and 2 fully ranked pure elemental mods. Karak has one V polarity so you should be able to fit all 3 without any problems.

Check out Damage 2.0 page on wiki, there is a table that lists what damage types are good and bad against each faction. Use that table and mod your weapon accordingly. And NEVER EVER use the option to "automagically" put mods on your stuff.