Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Recommendations for second ever frame

(XBOX)SchnauzahPowah

Question

Currently on ceres and void locations in level thirty excal but I get bored quickly with him. I've got the rhino frame which seems highly recommended but I'm seeing some really cool frames in pubs. I've got most parts for mag and frost. Are there any other early bosses to farm for frame parts recommended early on for a pleb like myself? I've got quite a few fully leveled weapons although only MR3 but itching for a new frame 

17 answers to this question

Rhino and Frost are very good starter frames, and Frost remains useful to the endgame.

Trinity is a good support frame, if you've made it to Kril and Vor yet.

I believe some find Nezha good, if you're in a clan with research completed.

No others really come to mind, most the great ones are mid to late game on the planetary route.

Frost is a decent frame early in that he can defend and have decent offense. An example is that if someone is down and needs to be revived, you can drop a snow globe to stop incoming fire or use avalanche to freeze or kill enemies within the immediate area.

There's Nyx, assuming you can get to the nodes with Phorid on them, she can lock down a wide area with chaos, a strong cc ability. Only issue is that her parts only drop from the Phorid boss during infestation invasions.

Nezha is similar in abilities to Rhino in that he can create a personal shield around himself, offset by how fragile of a frame he is. Only available through clan tech/research.

Volt, another clan tech frame is a mixed bag of defense and crowd control, but good in the right hands.

With what you already have, and assuming you don't want or are unable to buy more Frame slots (which requires Platinum) this is what I would do.

Build Mag and level her to max Rank.

If you're not totally in love with how she plays, once you get to max rank sell her and clear that slot.

IMO both Rhino and Frost are "keepers" and it's pretty likely you won't be replacing either of them with the Prime version anytime soon since they're both "vaulted" (not currently easily or cheaply available in game).

re: Excal in relation to all that, he was my first frame too and we've been thru a lot together so IMO he's a keeper as well. Plus his parts drop off a Boss much farther out on the Star Chart so he'd be harder to replace until much later.

I'll "second" Gran_Maw_Sigmus on farming Trinity. She's super useful and a very different playstyle than most other frames.

If you're in a Clan you can get Volt, Nezha, Zephyr and Wukong. Totally worth checking them out.

Of the 4 Volt is my favorite by far.

If you're not in a Clan, might consider looking for one. Sooner or later you ought to find one that suits you with other players to play and chat with.

As you go along you'll probably end up with more Oberon parts then you could ever want. So once you have them go ahead and build him and see what you think. 

When you're in a position to get Relics and do the relic missions, which in turn will get you Prime parts you'll be able to take spare Prime parts and trade them in for Ducats at the Relays which you can use to buy stuff from Baro Ki'teer. 

I bring this up because you can then buy what you need to start the quest to get Inaros from him. And Inaros is a very good frame.

One other piece of advice I'd give is, don't ever feel rushed or pressure yourself. Building stuff takes time but is usually pretty easy and imo generally feels pretty rewarding. But RNG can be harsh and burn out is real too. =p

it might seem like there's a ton of stuff you don't have, but if you really enjoy the game, months from now you might just look back and be amazed at all the stuff you've managed to get, haha.

Cheers Tenno!
~R~

Rhino.

His 1 is good for getting around sometimes

His 2 provides a nice extra layer of artificial health and keep you alive

His 3 provides a buff to strength to team mates and yourself

His 4 imo is one of if not the best CC in the game. It forces enemies stagnant in air and completely immobile

All great feedback. I appreciate it. 

Most likely will shoot for rhino or frost. The special abilities look pretty darn fun. One thing, what would I do in terms of leveling. I blueprinted the boltor and in low level form it was throwing eyelashes at enemies. Go back and play earlier missions?

I was thankfully accepted In a clan. Went to the dojo which was like a maze and had no clue really. I'd read you can get blueprints or parts there but didn't fully understand or see them, saw some random stuff but looked like a foreign language to me more than anything 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, (Xbox One)SchnauzahPowah said:

All great feedback. I appreciate it. 

Most likely will shoot for rhino or frost. The special abilities look pretty darn fun. One thing, what would I do in terms of leveling. I blueprinted the boltor and in low level form it was throwing eyelashes at enemies. Go back and play earlier missions?

I was thankfully accepted In a clan. Went to the dojo which was like a maze and had no clue really. I'd read you can get blueprints or parts there but didn't fully understand or see them, saw some random stuff but looked like a foreign language to me more than anything 

Reveal hidden contents

For leveling Akkad on eris is good but since you don't probably have that planet yet try going in to the recruitment section and look for leveling groups or ask around in your clan for people to help you level. 

Defense Missions can be good xp/affinity. People usually seem to enjoy running them enough that it seems that groups tend to be available on most of the planets you should have access to from Ceres down.  

Defense Alerts queue up pretty fast. 

One thing I think makes them good is that generally, they help keep people close together so shared affinity works out better. 

Intercept can see people get spread out to cover the locations.

Mobile Defense people often move at different speeds, if someone is fast and knows the map and someone else is slow and doesn't the slow one is going to just get left behind and possibly lost. Which can then lead to a huge loss of affinity from kills, etc. 

Exterminates are fine but the same problem with speed comes up, If you can all move together then sharing is caring. But if some move slow and someone else is a "rusher" then the slow ones will also not get much. Plus there's way less stuff to kill in an Exterminate than in Defense (and Intercept!). 

Infested Invasions usually have people running them and so it can be easy to do your 3 runs for the reward on those. If things are going well you can do more than the 3 runs per node just for the affinity. 

Again just try not to pressure yourself too much to get the rank ups. They'll come and it's important to enjoy the actual gameplay, imo. ;-)

OK so defense for leveling, makes perfect sense, tons of enemies. I had no clue regarding shared affinity.

In mission terms, what do the numbers mean, such as level 20-25( random example ) most alerts are locked so I assume it's not to do with your frame rank? Planets  not yet unlocked? 

Ive seen stuff about how its best to do higher level stuff for XP grinding but how possible with the locked leveling 

47 minutes ago, (Xbox One)SchnauzahPowah said:

OK so defense for leveling, makes perfect sense, tons of enemies. I had no clue regarding shared affinity.

In mission terms, what do the numbers mean, such as level 20-25( random example ) most alerts are locked so I assume it's not to do with your frame rank? Planets  not yet unlocked? 

Ive seen stuff about how its best to do higher level stuff for XP grinding but how possible with the locked leveling 

The levels are the starting base of the enemies within the missions. Endless mission types such as defense or survival will have scaling enemies that increase in levels over time. If there's a lock on a planet, or nodes being grayed out means you haven't unlocked the area.

You could find someone to invite you to a higher level mission, granted it may not be best to do that since stuff found on later planets can end up wiping the floor with you early, unless you have maxed mods and survivability.

Rhino is a great second frame for new players.  He's easy to mod and he can carry you through most of the star chart.  He does well solo and in a squad.  All of his abilities are useful.  New players tend to rely on Iron Skin a lot more than they should which might cause to develop some bad habits, but you should use all of his powers.  Roar is great for boosting you and your ally's damage output.  Stomp is a really good crowd control.  You should use rely more on his crowd control abilities than Iron Skin at high level though Iron Skin isn't totally useless because of its status immunity.  Your teammates will appreciate your Roars and Stomps.  

Frost is also a very good, well rounded frame and he shines in certain mission types.  He needs some hard to find mods for certain builds, but even a general build using more commonly found mods will be fine.  He can be used in different ways and his augments from syndicates can further diversify his usage.

Mag was my first frame so I have a bit of a soft spot for her.  You don't see her very much, but she's a good frame to have though you will have to be a bit more strategic in using her.  She used to be a Corpus killer, but after the rework she's more viable against other factions.  Her parts are super easy to farm.

If you joined a good clan, you can grab some frame blueprints and build them immediately.  My favorite frames available via clan tech are Volt and Nezha.  While hey are underappreciated and underrated by the community, they're actually really good and fun frames suitable for many mission types.  You will have to utilize all of their powers for them to reach their potential.  Banshee is extremely powerful with the right build and in the right team condition, but she's not a beginner's frame because she's hard to use and super squishy.  Wukong is ok, but his blueprints need Nitain Extracts.  Zephyr requires a lot of Oxium and, while she has her fans, she's not in a really good place right now.

Get banshee.

Dojo blueprint and not MR locked go my knowing.

Tends to be a glass cannon that generally needs some kind of coverage (huras kubrow, naramon focus) and auguments to perform best so you may need some time and help to reach her peak but she's despise that among the strongest and easyest to mod frames simply due to the strength of her abilitys.

I recommend playing her with a melee weapon. Mods: Stretch, Resonance (sonar augument), if possible also sonic fracture (sonic boom augument) and add efficiency, strength, duration and utility to an possible extend. 

Her sonar "marks" enemys. Attacking marked areas multiplies the dealt damage, starting from a 5x multiplier. Resonance makes killed enemys emit a recast for the remaining duration, what doesn't only multimark enemys (guaranteed damage boost) but also extends its range by quite a bit and makes it very power efficient. They also show up on the minimap, what helps a lot. Silence emits a short stun to enemys that enter its range, what's ideal to oneshot enemys (you will oneshot them) using melee and sonic boom is a fast additional stun/ragdoll also in short range should you need it (the augument reduces/removes armor, what makes dealing with heavy armored units even easyer)  

Her ultimate, soundquake, stunlocks every enemy in range, leaving you immobile... not my favorite but excellent Cc and if nothing else excellent coverage for fellow tenno to revive, hack or whatever you need to do. Not many people seem to use her nowadays but trust me, she is worth a permanent slot.