The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New mode idea: let us play as enemy NPCs!

SirYanako

A while ago I wondered why we have no modes that allow us to play as mastery rank fodder enemy units. I thought it would be cool so why not have modes like these:

"1 vs 7"

Have one player control a warframe to complete an objective like Hijack, Sabotage, or "rush to extraction while life support is cut off." Pit that warframe against seven players controlling enemy units like Heavy Gunners, Bombards, Manics, Hyekka Masters, etc. (applies to other factions as well) whose objective is to make the warframe fail within a time limit.

Players could also just fight it out in an arena where 1 warframe has to fight against 7 non-warframe enemies, all controlled by players. The objective is simply to eliminate the other team.

"4v4"

Have a team of four players pick a faction (Corpus, Grineer, or Infested) and pit them against another team that picked a different faction in a team elimination match.

"7 vs 1"

Have 7 warframes fight against 1 player-controlled mini-boss like a Juggernaut, Jackal, or a Lech Krill clone in a team elimination match.

The players should be able to use the skills of their units as well (e.g. Scorpion pull, Heavy Gunner ground slam, Scrambler nullifier, Ancient healing aura, etc.). Levels are adjusted to make the fight fair and prevent the warframes from ripping the non-warframe characters to shreds.

Lore wise, just make something up like Teshin saying "to catch a prey, you must think like the prey" or "know your enemy from within" philosophical pick-up line and say that these enemy bodies are clones or infested reproductions that have been implanted with a device that allows Tenno to control them via the somatic link.

16 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

This idea has been posed before and breaks all kinds of lore.

The only time I've seen the idea proposed in a way that didn't seem too bad is to make it a side game, but why waste dev resources like that?

To please the casuals who keep complaining about how hard Conclave with parkour is by giving them a Call of Duty style gameplay, I guess. 

Does the Conclave deserve a larger player base? Yes.

Should that player base be full of people who don't want to make use of the game's mobility system that the devs put so much effort into? That's questionable.

31 minutes ago, JSharpie said:

This idea has been posed before and breaks all kinds of lore.

The only time I've seen the idea proposed in a way that didn't seem too bad is to make it a side game, but why waste dev resources like that?

because it would be awesome? because it would be sometthing different not just farm farm farm farm farm farm farm grind grind grind grind grind grind girnd farm farm farm farm farm farm farm? and to talk about the lore in a game like this one... LOL! 

36 minutes ago, SirYanako said:

A while ago I wondered why we have no modes that allow us to play as mastery rank fodder enemy units. I thought it would be cool so why not have modes like these:

"1 vs 7"

Have one player control a warframe to complete an objective like Hijack, Sabotage, or "rush to extraction while life support is cut off." Pit that warframe against seven players controlling enemy units like Heavy Gunners, Bombards, Manics, Hyekka Masters, etc. (applies to other factions as well) whose objective is to make the warframe fail within a time limit.

Players could also just fight it out in an arena where 1 warframe has to fight against 7 non-warframe enemies, all controlled by players. The objective is simply to eliminate the other team.

"4v4"

Have a team of four players pick a faction (Corpus, Grineer, or Infested) and pit them against another team that picked a different faction in a team elimination match.

"7 vs 1"

Have 7 warframes fight against 1 player-controlled mini-boss like a Juggernaut, Jackal, or a Lech Krill clone in a team elimination match.

The players should be able to use the skills of their units as well (e.g. Scorpion pull, Heavy Gunner ground slam, Scrambler nullifier, Ancient healing aura, etc.). Levels are adjusted to make the fight fair and prevent the warframes from ripping the non-warframe characters to shreds.

Lore wise, just make something up like Teshin saying "to catch a prey, you must think like the prey" or "know your enemy from within" philosophical pick-up line and say that these enemy bodies are clones or infested reproductions that have been implanted with a device that allows Tenno to control them via the somatic link.

i fully support your idea :D . It would be great, if implemented as in gears of war 

I'm all for this. I've been wanting this. I've been needing this.

Don't see anything wrong with a "Know your enemy" type mode, it'd be fine for Simulacrum imo though the transference makes sense too.

Plus, maybe an excuse to reverse engineer your own Moas and Roller Sentries as companions... Probably not. Keep dreaming, Seri.

Heck, all else fails I wouldn't mind a second Mind Control augment that lets you get into manual drive and put that fourth flipping Napalm Eximus to use.

30 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

To please the casuals who keep complaining about how hard Conclave with parkour is by giving them a Call of Duty style gameplay, I guess. 

Does the Conclave deserve a larger player base? Yes.

Should that player base be full of people who don't want to make use of the game's mobility system that the devs put so much effort into? That's questionable.

It´s not about not use the mobility system it´s about something different it could be like it is in Killing Floor 2 those not Warframe Players receive a large buff to health and amour/shield (no Damage buff), and it would get more attention than lunaro i think.

4 minutes ago, Genesis7000 said:

It´s not about not use the mobility system it´s about something different it could be like it is in Killing Floor 2 those not Warframe Players receive a large buff to health and amour/shield (no Damage buff), and it would get more attention than lunaro i think.

Suppose all 3 of the OP's suggestions were implemented. Only the 4v4 option would be played because PvE players always complain about how hard it is to hit high mobility targets. It doesn't matter how much of a tankiness buff players playing as NPCs get, they'll still get destroyed by a skilled Conclave player who knows how to make full use of mobility.

15 minutes ago, Heckzu said:

Suppose all 3 of the OP's suggestions were implemented. Only the 4v4 option would be played because PvE players always complain about how hard it is to hit high mobility targets. It doesn't matter how much of a tankiness buff players playing as NPCs get, they'll still get destroyed by a skilled Conclave player who knows how to make full use of mobility.

A skilled player can destroy everyone in every game mode when it is balanced right, and Conclave balance is good, then it should be no problem. 

Anyway, it's just an idea that I thought was fun to explore. What I put here isn't really an exact map for what to do, I just wanted to put up the idea of fighting as an enemy unit for once. As for mobility problems, well that's why you should have Scorpions and Shield Lancers on your team! This is why these PvP modes shouldn't be just about killing. We need creative objectives that make people think of a strategy to win outside of just killing your way through victory.

For another idea, they could also make an operator-only mode of some sorts. Maybe a stealth mission where one team has to sneak a device into a computer console while the other team hunts them down or captures the device. Anyway, I'm just throwing "outside the box" ideas for a more diverse type of fun.