Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Dual Toxocyst and the joy of gimmics

DefectiveMagus

recently i have gotten a riven for the Dual Toxocyst which brought me back to it.

This will be part rant and part build ideas.

First of all rant.

I love how the Dual Toxocyst have a special playstyle to them,a unique gimmick.The problem is the up side for the down side is not enough,it is hard to score a headshot in all of the chaos that is happening and when you do you better use those seconds with the buff visely.It would be great if the buff could be refreshed on successful headshot hits,but than it might get really good cause after the first hit you would just easily keep getting headshots.So when i have in mind,the instead of a flat boost at the first shot,it could be instead the same as berserk.You would gradually build up the buff and than you will have to sustain it and max by constanlty hitting headshots.What i mean is,the buff duration would be shorter than curently and the buff would have 3 stacks,each would give +50% fire rate and -33% recoil,meaning after 3 buff stacks you would have the same buff as now except you would gradully have to get to there but when you get there you could sustain it as long as there are enemies.

Also why dont we have more guns like this? With a great + side and a great - side.Like the opticor,like this (and i cant remember any more curently),they bring a lot more time to have fun with the gun since you need to see what works best and how it fits your playstyle,unlike the rest of the guns where you get serration,split chamber etc. and you shoot everything easily.

So hope we get more guns like this in the future.

Now for the build.I have gotten a riven with  ~120% crit chance,~70% toxic dmg and ~100% multishot.Is this good for a riven with strong disposition? and i might be able to make it into a crit weapon,with this and the crit mod it has around 20-25% crit change so a solid crit chance for a weapon that has a lot of dmg per bullet,ive also put primed heated charge so it deals a lot of gas dmg and has ~80% status chance so a great gun overall...if you can hit headshots every 5-6 second consistently.

Hope i didnt make too much grammar mistakes and would like to hear your opinion on it.We need less weapons like the tonkor and soma and more like this :D 

In terms of your complaints, on how it is difficult to maintain headshots, I suppose that's the point. It's supposed to be challenging to maintain, so that players are rewarded for actually aiming, rather than spraying everywhere.

Edited by PrVonTuckIII

3 minutes ago, PrVonTuckIII said:

In terms of your complaints, on how it is difficult to maintain headshots, I suppose that's the point. It's supposed to be challenging to maintain, so that players are rewarded for actually aiming,rather than spraying everywhere.

I do understand that,but the few recent games i played with it most of the times my times just run past me blasting everything they see leaving nothing to me xD 

Or the enemy turn their backs toward me or constantly move for no reason making it really hard to score headshots because usually more enemies would be coming from behind you.

So far great runs were when i had volt to stun them with shock and snipe them from a distance but even than the enemies either die to my team mates or i cant find them in my sight.

it takes time to get the aiming down but once you do.....well lets say that it will be FAR easier to land headshots...I'm to the point where I am almost always aiming at the head area with ANY gun...and some players ask how the heck i have so many headshots...especially when i'm not even trying....i also blame the fact that the DT are one of the better (if not best) sidearm to use with Mesa as Her PMs are affected by the buff...meaning a lot of practice, especially since the buff stays active until you exit PM.

14 minutes ago, xcynderx said:

...especially since the buff stays active until you exit PM.

That is no longer correct.  The buff from Dual Toxocysts now only lasts its duration (6 seconds?) during Mesa's Peacemaker.  That was changed months ago.

The issue isn't constant headshots, it's just the fact that you can't maintain the buff. Which leads to kind of annoying on/off gameplay.

You get punished with bad firerate, high recoil, meh magsize and reload forever if you've got bad aim but only get six seconds until you start the minigame again for good aim.

Reward constant good aiming instead of headshot minigame followed by spamfest every six seconds.

Your suggestion seems fine. Stacking the buff (heck, even at 5 seconds max it'd be fine) also seems like an interesting mechanic.

1 hour ago, Helljack84 said:

The issue isn't constant headshots, it's just the fact that you can't maintain the buff. Which leads to kind of annoying on/off gameplay.

You get punished with bad firerate, high recoil, meh magsize and reload forever if you've got bad aim but only get six seconds until you start the minigame again for good aim.

Reward constant good aiming instead of headshot minigame followed by spamfest every six seconds.

Your suggestion seems fine. Stacking the buff (heck, even at 5 seconds max it'd be fine) also seems like an interesting mechanic.

Exactly,it should be more like you being able to constanty headshot in a short period of time meaning you have the buff on.And not like curently "oh you got a headshot,here have some fun for 6 seconds" xD 

So something like:  You score a headshot.  If the buff is not active that headshot creates the buff with a duration of 6 seconds  If you get a headshot while the buff is active the duration of the buff refreshes to 6 seconds.  Otherwise the buff goes away after it reaches 6 seconds.

The next step would be to hear from DE.  There could be a lot of reasons why the buff wasn't implemented this way or there could be a lot of reasons why they wouldn't want to change it to this.

3 minutes ago, Arcainyx said:

So something like:  You score a headshot.  If the buff is not active that headshot creates the buff with a duration of 6 seconds  If you get a headshot while the buff is active the duration of the buff refreshes to 6 seconds.  Otherwise the buff goes away after it reaches 6 seconds.

The next step would be to hear from DE.  There could be a lot of reasons why the buff wasn't implemented this way or there could be a lot of reasons why they wouldn't want to change it to this.

Well if it stays the same as now and just makes it to refresh the buff than it would be too good i guess.That might be the reason why it isnt like that.Because now when you get a buff you can easily score headshots since you have barely any recoil and high fire rate and 6 sec is i guess a bit too much for a head shot interval? Thats probably the reason why the buff doesnt refresh.It would be too good and too easy to keep it up.

I dont see why they cant make it like Argon Scope. It refreshes your duration for critical chance if you keep landing headshots. That imo is truely rewarding you for skill. I was really surprised after seeing the stats on my riven (+259% dmg + 134% puncture) that the Dual Toxocyst despite of being a strong weapon has a "strong" riven disposition which means that very less people are using it. And the reason for it is the mechanic is really hard to pull off in missions with the recoil & low fire rate of the weapon. Sure it is easy to display it in the simulacrum but when you are amidst the chaos & rain of bullets in an actual mission you put yourself in a very risky position of dying quickly in an attempt to gain headshots every 6 secs. Moreover the 6 secs may sound good in lower level missions but when you go higher those 6 secs are too less to kill many enemies during the buff.

Either they should make it refresh on successful headshots or atleast increase the buff duration for it to 10-12 secs. Just my opinion.   

1 hour ago, AbhijitSM said:

I dont see why they cant make it like Argon Scope. It refreshes your duration for critical chance if you keep landing headshots. That imo is truely rewarding you for skill. I was really surprised after seeing the stats on my riven (+259% dmg + 134% puncture) that the Dual Toxocyst despite of being a strong weapon has a "strong" riven disposition which means that very less people are using it. And the reason for it is the mechanic is really hard to pull off in missions with the recoil & low fire rate of the weapon. Sure it is easy to display it in the simulacrum but when you are amidst the chaos & rain of bullets in an actual mission you put yourself in a very risky position of dying quickly in an attempt to gain headshots every 6 secs. Moreover the 6 secs may sound good in lower level missions but when you go higher those 6 secs are too less to kill many enemies during the buff.

Either they should make it refresh on successful headshots or atleast increase the buff duration for it to 10-12 secs. Just my opinion.   

Yeah exactly what i was saying.You need to stay focused since the recoil is big meaning you will have to wait for the next shot,and there will always be enemies either shooting at you or running from behind.