Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Inaros Canopic Helmet

honors_revenge

Those of the community that like the Canopic helmet please don't read what follows.

To the Devs please understand that the following is merely a critique. I understand that there will be a segment (perhaps even a sizable segment) of the community that will like or even love the new helm. To those individuals I say I'm happy that you are enjoying the new look. However, unlike the Anubis helmet for me Canopic has missed the mark. As a huge fan of both Warframe and Inaros it pains me to say that the new helm for Inaros is, in a word, hideous. The concept seems to look like an amalgamation of two conflicting cultural/artistic styles that never seem to make peace. Specifically, the combination of a Ganesha like headdress and the Egyptian touches (Jackal heads and "mummy fabric" texturing on the chin and fringe) come together to look vaguely like a highly embellished deep sea diver's helmet circa the 1930s. Which is to say that Canopic, unfortunately, is just out of place. Inaros has an Egyptian theme, as such it is my contention that there is more than enough artistic and theological history there that you could easily make six more helmets without having to resort to artistic acculturation. It is not my motive to berate the design team. On the contrary, it is my goal to encourage them to keep those of us in the community that value motif continuity in mind when designing new products. Regards.

I don't personally like the helmet. But I don't dislike it. I just prefer Anubis, matter of taste I guess.

The thing is, the helmet looks weird at a glance. When I saw it announced on devstream, I facepalmed. I found it disgusting. I thought I was looking at some cyclops weirdo.

But it's in the game now, I had a preview in the Arsenal and I gotta admit, it's not that bad. It all depends on what you see. Took me 5 minutes to realize:

bBR00V4.jpg

It looks like some skeleton-ish pharaoh sorta head with lotsa ornaments and an urn's shape. The name totally fits it. I no longer find the design disgusting.

I hope I helped D:

Edited by Raniu

I really don't mind the devs not making Inaros a walking Egyptian cliche. According to the lore, he's not Egyptian, and has no connection to Egypt. It simply served as a design inspiration, and he is consequently not bound to it in the slightest. 

I do think the helmet is too big though.

This is so wrong in many levels.

Let's start by the helmet: It's completely fine. Not everything they make has to be of our individual liking. It follows the theme it's supposed to do: In fact it's supposed to be a Canopy, but with clear touches of Orokin influence, follwoing the whole mummy theme.

Also, you should never EVER begin a feedback topic saying:

Those of the community that like the Canopic helmet please don't read what follows.

Feedback should encourage discussion. Having opposite opinions is fine, but you can't just try to pass this out like it's a fact.

I don't like some helmets in the game, but I could never say anything else to DE than "I don't like it, hopefully the next one is more of my taste". They must have some level of absolute freedom to build their own world, which is exactly what's happened here.

I thank them for not following the rule of Egyptian gods, which is a complete cliché, and have tried something else entirely.

7 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

I really don't mind the devs not making Inaros a walking Egyptian cliche. According to the lore, he's not Egyptian, and has no connection to Egypt. It simply served as a design inspiration, and he is consequently not bound to it in the slightest. 

Trust me, it's fine. What's happening is that the round look is deceiving your eyes.

10 minutes ago, Raniu said:

I don't personally like the helmet. But I don't dislike it. I just prefer Anubis, matter of taste I guess.

The thing is, the helmet looks weird at a glance. When I saw it announced on devstream, I facepalmed. I found it disgusting. I thought I was looking at some cyclops weirdo.

But it's in the game now, I had a preview in the Arsenal and I gotta admit, it's not that bad. It all depends on what you see. Took me 5 minutes to realize:

bBR00V4.jpg

It looks like some skeleton-ish pharaoh sorta head with lotsa ornaments and an urn's shape. The name totally fits it. I no longer find the design disgusting.

I hope I helped D:

Basically. It's like trying to give your enemy a terrifying vision to lower their guard.

Edited by NightmareT12
Wooppsie, formatting

8 minutes ago, AM-Bunny said:

Thanks for the reply. Again I'm happy that you like the new helm. All I'm saying is this helm to me looks like a deep sea diver helmet. And also, I would prefer for the next helmet to have a little more continuity with the "design inspiration". That's all.

Edited by honors_revenge

10 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

Feedback should encourage discussion. Having opposite opinions is fine, but you can't just try to pass this out like it's a fact.

This is an opinion piece. My own personal thoughts on the new helmet as well as what I would like to see more of in the future.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts as well.

41 minutes ago, (PS4)abbacephas said:

Having seen pictures of it, it would appear the designers took the term "jarhead" a little too literally. Most unfortunate.

That's actually pretty accurate. Canopic jars were used to store and preserve the major internal organs during mummification. So, it's not to far off the mark to say they literally put a jar on his head

I like the helmet, it's weird and unique with a lot of contributing factors. Just like how Warframe is overall. If you want to complain about it not being Egyptian themed, gotta go ahead and say you're wrong and probably don't know what you're talking about, as his head is overall a Canopic Jar, which were used to hold preserved organs, as said in a previous comment. This goes even further though in that it has some meaning for Warframe specifically, considering that it is still serving that purpose. Inaros is a Canopic Jar, all Warframes are. Holding the preserved Tenno within them. So yes, while you may not like how it looks, tough, that's Warframe sometimes. But they damn well have stuck to the theme and even brought further depth to it through the helmet.

23 minutes ago, Domesticon said:

I like the helmet, it's weird and unique with a lot of contributing factors. Just like how Warframe is overall. If you want to complain about it not being Egyptian themed, gotta go ahead and say you're wrong and probably don't know what you're talking about, as his head is overall a Canopic Jar, which were used to hold preserved organs, as said in a previous comment. This goes even further though in that it has some meaning for Warframe specifically, considering that it is still serving that purpose. Inaros is a Canopic Jar, all Warframes are. Holding the preserved Tenno within them. So yes, while you may not like how it looks, tough, that's Warframe sometimes. But they damn well have stuck to the theme and even brought further depth to it through the helmet.

Again, I'm happy you like it. Again, this is a critique not a complaint (i.e. my personal views on this piece along with what I would like to see next). I am well aware of and appreciate the symbolism of the canopic jar "theme" of this particular piece. However, this helm in my opinion still feels out of place. This is due to the fact that stylistically it more closely resembles the headdresses of Shiva or Ganesha than it does that of a canopic jar. In any case it still looks like a deep sea diver's helmet. But either way it is my opinion and you are welcome to yours. Quick caveat; if you believe warframes to be like canopic jars that "hold the preserved Tenno within them" I would suggest doing the war within quest line and/or reading the information in the link below. To save time I would suggest starting at the last paragraph of the section titled Infiltrate the Grineer Asteroid Fortress: Dakata, Kuva Fortress 

SPOILER ALERT: This page has specific information on the War Within Quest.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/The_War_Within

14 minutes ago, honors_revenge said:

Again, I'm happy you like it. Again, this is a critique not a complaint (i.e. my personal views on this piece along with what I would like to see next). I am well aware of and appreciate the symbolism of the canopic jar "theme" of this particular piece. However, this helm in my opinion still feels out of place. This is due to the fact that stylistically it more closely resembles the headdresses of Shiva or Ganesha than it does that of a canopic jar. In any case it still looks like a deep sea diver's helmet. But either way it is my opinion and you are welcome to yours. Quick caveat; if you believe warframes to be like canopic jars that "hold the preserved Tenno within them" I would suggest doing the war within quest line and/or reading the information in the link below. To save time I would suggest starting at the last paragraph of the section titled Infiltrate the Grineer Asteroid Fortress: Dakata, Kuva Fortress 

I'll say it again though, the first thing you think of is a Sea Diver helm, but what it reminds me of is of the circle Orokin pattern present on Excalibur Prime, Void Keys and some of those fancy Orokin Moon ambient lights present in some doors/open areas. Also evoked a tiny bit of Nekros Prime to me.

Basically what I thought was: "Why does this look so Prime?"

Edited by NightmareT12

2 minutes ago, NightmareT12 said:

but what it reminds me of is of the circle Orokin pattern present on Excalibur Prime, Void Keys and some of those fancy Orokin Moon ambient lights present in some doors/open areas. Also evoked a tiny bit of Nekros Prime to me.

Cool man. Yeah I can see a little of that in the styling.

9 hours ago, honors_revenge said:

If you don't like the Helmet, whatever, like I said, that's warframe, tough. But they have stuck to the theme and done it well. As for you trying to say I don't know the lore, check yourself. Warframes held the minds of the Tenno who were preserved in pods while they were in their dream. So no, I'm not being literal, I know the deal, however, I also can look at the symbolic representation of it, I suggest you do so as well sometimes too.

Personally, I appreciate the direction this helmet went (especially those glorious teeth), though I do wish it was more uniform in shape and less chunky. 

On a kind-of related note, I really hope they do a Sobek helmet next for Inaros. I've always wanted to play as a crocodile god. And a khopesh. We definitely need a khopesh. Maybe a chariot to top it all off.

The only problem I have with this helmet is: Mag Prime. Like seriously it's almost identical to Mag's prime helmet (just the glowy half-ball is replaced with a rather ugly jar).

Not very impressed. I have viewed it ingame, still not impressed. Not very surprised though. DE has shown already how much they hate Inaros by drilling a huge hole in his... crotch and not covering it with a loincloth. This helmet fits the "hated" style perfectly. 

3 hours ago, RiderKick said:

On a kind-of related note, I really hope they do a Sobek helmet next for Inaros. I've always wanted to play as a crocodile god. And a khopesh. We definitely need a khopesh. Maybe a chariot to top it all off.

Since DE only makes 2 additional helmets for each Frame and this is the 2nd for Inaros.... sorry mate, not happening. The last hope is Tennogen.

I only hope that DE will actually make a decent deluxe skin for him. Because right now he is super fun to play, but a real pain to look at when compared to quite a few cool looking frames. (Damn I wish I could play as Inaros which looks like Oberon or Wukong T^T )

On 4 February 2017 at 3:48 AM, Wolfiusz said:

The only problem I have with this helmet is: Mag Prime. Like seriously it's almost identical to Mag's prime helmet (just the glowy half-ball is replaced with a rather ugly jar).

Not very impressed. I have viewed it ingame, still not impressed. Not very surprised though. DE has shown already how much they hate Inaros by drilling a huge hole in his... crotch and not covering it with a loincloth. This helmet fits the "hated" style perfectly. 

Since DE only makes 2 additional helmets for each Frame and this is the 2nd for Inaros.... sorry mate, not happening. The last hope is Tennogen.

I only hope that DE will actually make a decent deluxe skin for him. Because right now he is super fun to play, but a real pain to look at when compared to quite a few cool looking frames. (Damn I wish I could play as Inaros which looks like Oberon or Wukong T^T )

Well, I guess it's time to pray for Tennogen. Maybe they'll include a Khopesh sword skin with Inaros' deluxe. 

On 3/2/2017 at 5:48 PM, Wolfiusz said:

You know that makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

Why would have they designed him in the first place if they hate him? O.o

8 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

You know that makes absolutely no sense at all, right?

Why would have they designed him in the first place if they hate him? O.o

Because people who make decissions (management), and people who have to fulfill their visions (3D design team) are 2 separate groups? 

And, for the record, no I don't really think that this is the case (although I do wonder sometimes...). Still Inaros is the only visibly "castrated" male frame. And since he has a really nice looking loincloth piece in the back, it's quite strange it wasn't placed on the front aswell, like in the 2 other male loincloth frames (Oberon and Nezha).

It just bothers me alot, because right now he is one of my favourite warframes playwise, but at the same time the worst-looking one (and I don't mean only the "hate hole", his whole design, kinda makes sense, but at the same time looks really bad, for a frame that, according to the quest, is supposed to be a "Sand God")

But back to the Jarhead, the only advantage to this helmet I can think of is: it's actually of a propper head-size. Both other Inaros' helmets look more like "adult toys" rather than heads. I will probably give it a propper run when I farm it from an allert (assuming it is already available on alerts)

4 hours ago, Wolfiusz said:

Because people who make decissions (management), and people who have to fulfill their visions (3D design team) are 2 separate groups? 

And, for the record, no I don't really think that this is the case (although I do wonder sometimes...). Still Inaros is the only visibly "castrated" male frame. And since he has a really nice looking loincloth piece in the back, it's quite strange it wasn't placed on the front aswell, like in the 2 other male loincloth frames (Oberon and Nezha).

It just bothers me alot, because right now he is one of my favourite warframes playwise, but at the same time the worst-looking one (and I don't mean only the "hate hole", his whole design, kinda makes sense, but at the same time looks really bad, for a frame that, according to the quest, is supposed to be a "Sand God")

But back to the Jarhead, the only advantage to this helmet I can think of is: it's actually of a propper head-size. Both other Inaros' helmets look more like "adult toys" rather than heads. I will probably give it a propper run when I farm it from an allert (assuming it is already available on alerts)

220px-Human-Skeleton.jpg