Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

(primary) Weapon suggestions for a roughly year old player

Tomppak

Question

So, MR 19 (soon 20) here, I've been doing the sorties daily, got the starmap (nearly) all completed (too lazy to do a couple of spots), done a lot of the quests (but not all), enjoy long walks in survivals, do Kuva Flood for my Kuva needs, and so on.

But on todays sorties, I just realized that there's a small weakness in my choices of primary weapons: They are all slash-based. Braton Prime, Drakgoon, Dread, which are my usualy go-to weapons when I need stuff done. This, coupled with todays elemental resistances, ment that Sargas Ruk was taking quite a lot of time to take down. (there were 4 of us, still took long, my drakgoon wasn't doing much damage, 2 corrosive projections in the team, drakgoon has blast and corrosive as elements, 6 forma).

So, I'm looking for suggestions on what new (primary) weapons I should try out to deal with especially hardy grineer targets/bosses? Namely: I don't particularly like bows (Paris Prime looks really silly, in my opinion), Tonkor isn't really my cup of tea, and Soma Prime&Tigris Prime are still slashing. Snipers aren't really viable in higher missions (I think? Correct me if I'm wrong)...

So. What do you typically use to bust through high level grineer armour, like sortie Kela?

8 answers to this question

I know it's not what you asked for, but in that specific situation (single, armored, tanky targets) I'd honestly recommend changing frame, instead.

Something like this, for instance, lets you strip 100% armor for a decent duration at 75% eff, as well as maintain invis for a fair bit.

Edited by Chroia

I could recommend the Boltor Prime/Telos Boltor because they're good, puncture-based guns.

The Hek family is also an excellent set of shotguns, as well as very capable at all levels of play. 

Sybaris is a good gun, but it needs quite a few forma to be actually great in higher levels. And though the Dex version leans toward slash, the OG has fairly balanced stats. 

I've heard that Supra can dish out some pain, as well. Never used it myself, but there's too many people that like it for everyone to be wrong.

The Quanta Vandal is an excellent beam weapon, and probably the only beam weapon I actually like.

Sobek and Kohm are also good shotguns, though a bit weaker than the Hek shotguns and a bit niche, they're fun. Kohm has to spool a bit to do anything meaningful, but when it's fully spooled and modded well, it can be a beast. 

But I feel obligated to point out that Slash procs ignore armor, and they can very easily enable quick slaughter of damn near anything, provided you can reliably proc them. Braton Prime does this well, and Tigris Prime is a monster for it. Worth taking into account, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with expanding your arsenal, either.

Also, you're right. Snipers don't scale very high because they have really dumb mechanics that keep them from being useful in fast combat.

Edited by TrickshotMcGee

I know you're looking for a primary, but the akstiletto prime can strip armor faster than any primary that I know of.   Also, it is important to have good utility and team synergy with Sorties.  I do a lot of Sorties by just joining a public squad, and sometimes, the team synergy just isn't there.  If you have friends doing it with you, planning load outs and communicating during the mission is more important than having the most experienced people on your team that are not at all communicating.