Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Swap Heavy Caliber for Critical Delay in Soma P.?

Ilmarion

Question

Soma prime build is currently: Vital Sense, Serration, Split Chamber, Argon Scope, Heavy Caliber, Point Strike, and 2 slots for elementals. Should I swap Heavy Caliber for Critical Delay to grab that extra Crit Chance? Or a different mod? Or something else entirely? I feel like I'm not red critting as much as on youtube videos with the argon scope headshot aiming down the sights things.

10 answers to this question

Personlly i would stick with Heavy caliber as it only decreases accuracy, where as Critical Delay reduces fire rate which will also affect spool up time. Also if you have Bladed rounds its super effective and doesn't really need much effort to activate; just kill stuff

Edited by GOEATSOMEFUSHM8
Forgotten info

Shred would make sense, but a third elemental kind of wouldn't... I was looking at the numbers and with heavy caliber replaced with a third elemental, the elemental only goes up by like 1 damage point,while all the other damage types fall quite a bit. And the difference in Critical Delay at max is only around 14.4% difference in critical chance. With Heavy caliber I am noticing a lot more standard damage between red crits, as well as upped red crits. The accuracy does seem detrimental though to getting those headshots which are really important right? I dont know, I guess its just up to taste.

2 hours ago, Ilmarion said:

Soma prime build is currently: Vital Sense, Serration, Split Chamber, Argon Scope, Heavy Caliber, Point Strike, and 2 slots for elementals. Should I swap Heavy Caliber for Critical Delay to grab that extra Crit Chance? Or a different mod? Or something else entirely? I feel like I'm not red critting as much as on youtube videos with the argon scope headshot aiming down the sights things.

I sacrificed heavy caliber for bladed rounds. But that is due to a lucky riven draw (+electricity, +crit chance, +punch-through) and my playstyle. I go for headshots all of the time because to keep those red crits going. 

Yeah +1 for Shred, I try to fit it into most weapons when I can.

Quite a while ago it was being talked about by some that Critical Delay was a really good option for the Soma Prime because it has strong crit and eats ammo. 

So the idea was that you were making it more ammo efficient while keeping that damage up via crits. 

As my "duo buddy" had been adding more and more Fire Rate into his Soma at the time, I decided to go ahead and go the other route of "less bullets, more crit" and derping around the Star Chart it worked great. 
- It was funny because they both sounded so different despite being the same gun.

But once we took those guns out to the T3/T4 Void I really noticed my slowed down Soma was struggling until I swapped over to a "more traditional" build.

Now I run it using a more or less standard Crit/Status Build and it works just fine for most anything.

So the general build there being:

Serration, Split Chamber, Shred, Vital Sense, Point Strike, 2x60/60 elementals and 1{90% elemental/Fanged Fussilade/Riven/Argon Scope}

Cheers!
~R~

I would only advise using Critical Delay in builds where the loss in fire rate doesnt hurt damage so much. Weapons like tonkor might get some use of the mod ( I know it is highly questionable).

Soma Staple mods: Serration, Split chamber, Point Strike, Vital Sense, 2 x 90% elementals

That leaves two slots: Heavy Caliber if you dont mind the loss in accuracy ( cant see the reason to couple this with argon scope which needs the headshots in the first place), Argon Scope if you are going for headshots, Bladed Rounds, Shred, more elementals, status.

Classic Builds before AS and BR used Heavy Cal and Shred. If you are good at headshots you can switch heavy cal for Argon Scope and maybe Shred for Bladed Rounds. 

I consider Shred a staple in auto rifles so last slot is either heavy cal, bladed rounds ( note that bladed rounds looses its efficiency when you cant kill enemies that easy anymore) or a riven.