Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Buying Platinum on a friends account

yaxinn

Question

So i've done some research about buying platinum.

I know for a fact that using LAN networks and buying platinum then trading between accounts can give a ban, but do i get banned if i buy platinum on my friends account? He plays on a different IP and so do I. So if I like buy platinum for his account because he got a 75% off, do I get banned? and ofc I am not transfering S#&$ to my main since it might violate some rules there. Thanks if you replied :)!

Honestly the best I could recommend is to contact support and ask them there, since they would be the ones that would know best. Just lay out your situation and what you want to do and see what they say. If they say "no don't do that" pretty much, I would recommend you look into a way to get money to your friend so they can buy it rather than buying the plat for them.

There's a Wesley Snipes quote from the film Blade.

"Some mofos are always trying to ice skate uphill". (With the offending term shortened).

For everyone, ever:

Buy platinum for yourself, on your account, with your money. Or don't. That's it. Stop trying to find suspect methods around it.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Lonley said:

send it through steam?

Well you can give him a steam gift card, or i may be wrong but i thought there was a way to gift someone through steam itself with a dollar amount for their wallet or perhaps buy a steam card through steam itself for someone else. either way, a steam gift card can be picked up at a corner store.

correction- looks like you cannot buy and transfer money through steam. so you would need to purchase a steam card physically at a store then give it to him. or give him the code over instant message, email or phone call.

Edited by Lord_Impaler

Just now, Lord_Impaler said:

Well you can give him a steam gift card, or i may be wrong but i thought there was a way to gift someone through steam itself with a dollar amount for their wallet or perhaps buy a steam card through steam itself for someone else. either way, a steam gift card can be picked up at a corner store.

ah that he gave me the steam gift card and insist I buy it for him because he was going to travel and wouldn't be back within a week or two. 

9 minutes ago, Lord_Impaler said:

why dont you just gift him through steam and let him buy the plat ?

Nah, what he's asking:

• Player A needs plat, Player B gets a 75% coupon
  • Player B buys plat with his coupon
  • Player A gives Player B the money for that plat
  • Player B gives Player A the plat

2 minutes ago, Mr.Lonley said:

ah that he gave me the steam gift card and insist I buy it for him because he was going to travel and wouldn't be back within a week or two. 

i support 3 of my sons that play this game, i tend to purchase all the plat when i get %75 off and then gift them purchases through the market. if they need plat, i just purchase them a steam gift card. been doing this a long time.

6 minutes ago, Bibliothekar said:

Nah, what he's asking:

• Player A needs plat, Player B gets a 75% coupon
  • Player B buys plat with his coupon
  • Player A gives Player B the money for that plat
  • Player B gives Player A the plat

this is against the rules i believe, if this is what you were saying i am sorry for misunderstanding.

player B could just purchase the plat then trade something from player A for the amount plat that was purchased. i dont think there is anything wrong with that since there are people WTB prime chamber for 20k plat lol. you will just both have to pay credits for the transfer.

Edited by Lord_Impaler

1 minute ago, Lord_Impaler said:

this is against the rules i believe, if this is what you were saying i am sorry for misunderstanding.

No, I was going to buy the plat for Player "B" who has a 75% discount, but I have no intention of trading it to my main. I'm confused because apparently trading within the LAN can get you banned. So I thought if I were going to buy plat from a different IP for an account that has been used already.

Just sent them the money over paypal equal to the amount of the total purchase; then they can buy it themselves without any issues, and without needing to mess with steam cards. Done.

Do not log on to their account. This can cause serious problems or get you or your friend, or both banned.

Also I know it is not what you are asking, but that above scenario for anyone wondering is fine. I mean like sometimes a friend will send the money on paypal so they can actually buy the plat with the discount they got, and they split it with the person who gifted it to them. That seems like a mature and reasonable thing to do.

Both of them win, and DE wins because that is a discount that would never have been used if the friend didn't gift the money.

If DE ever does come down on people for that, shame on them. I mean imagine if you got banned for life from macdonalds because you used a coupon for a sandwich and then gave that sandwich to your friend, or gave half of it to them. It would be ludicrous. 

Edited by Echorion

1 minute ago, Lord_Impaler said:

He wants to take advantage of his friends platinum discount though, that steam gift card could only be used on his account then

OP I wouldn't do it, if you're doing it just so you could get discounted plat I don't think they will care if it's your friends account

1 minute ago, Zenviscerator said:

He wants to take advantage of his friends platinum discount though, that steam gift card could only be used on his account then

OP I wouldn't do it, if you're doing it just so you could get discounted plat I don't think they will care if it's your friends account

some harsh rules DE has set for us then

4 minutes ago, (PS4)xxFleetstdemonxx said:

Why would this be against the rules?

Just curious. I just don't see what the big deal is. I am post seizure and extremely tired though, so i am probably missing the obvious lol

well the way it was described byBibliothekar was not neccesarily what the OP is asking i think. but at any rate Biblio is describing one friend has 75% off and the other friend wants to use it to buy plat for himself somehow. this is taking advantage of DE's gratuity. however, if the friend buys the plat for him , then trades it to him for an ammo drum for a substantial credit transfer fee, Not sure if that is against the rules or not. they do not have a set plat limits for any items ( for ex. primed chamber ) .

Edited by Lord_Impaler

42 minutes ago, Arezael said:

There's a Wesley Snipes quote from the film Blade.

"Some mofos are always trying to ice skate uphill". (With the offending term shortened).

For everyone, ever:

Buy platinum for yourself, on your account, with your money. Or don't. That's it. Stop trying to find suspect methods around it.

For everyone, ever: Ask around, don't be afraid and don't listen to people like this. Asking won't get you banned or flagged. 

Also, I don't see anything suspicious with this.

21 minutes ago, Lord_Impaler said:

well the way it was described byBibliothekar was not neccesarily what the OP is asking i think. but at any rate Biblio is describing one friend has 75% off and the other friend wants to use it to buy plat for himself somehow. this is taking advantage of DE's gratuity. however, if the friend buys the plat for him , then trades it to him for an ammo drum for a substantial credit transfer fee, Not sure if that is against the rules or not. they do not have a set plat limits for any items ( for ex. primed chamber ) .

Okay first off, no it's not in any way shape or form, if anything it's helping DE.

ANyways, like I said, a steam card or giving him money on paypal are your only two courses of action, do not under any circumstances log on to their account or account share in any way shape or form.

Edited by Echorion

3 minutes ago, Echorion said:

Okay first off, no it's not in any way shape or form, if anything it's helping DE.

The second thing is that he is not asking for this at all, he is trying to buy it for his friend, not himself, and leave it at that.

In which case like I said, a steam card or giving him money on paypal are your only two courses of action, do not under any circumstances log on to their account or account share in any way shape or form.

have you read anything i wrote ? we are saying the samething lol. i was describing what someone else said to help " fleets" understand. my very first post is one sentence " why dont you just gift him through steam and let him buy the plat ?"

Edited by Lord_Impaler

5 minutes ago, Lord_Impaler said:

have you read anything i wrote ? we are saying the samething lol. i was describing what someone else said to help " fleets" understand. my very first post is one " why dont you just gift him through steam and let him buy the plat ?"

I did but I disagree with the first bit, everything else you said is what we are mutual on. It's not even what OP is asking anyways and I misread that part though, thought you meant that is what he was asking and that was a mix up I apologize for. I will scratch that part out.

Regardless, yeah he should just gift him through steam or paypal so he can buy it that way.

Edited by Echorion

Ah, ok. I was looking at it from a legality perspective, rather than a house rules/etiquette/TOS perspective . I was trying to work out the 'crime', if you will.

Software/games seem to exist in a different dimension to other consumer products.

Only software companies would get their panties in a bunch about something like this. If my local supermarket gave me a 75% off voucher, somehow i can't see them banning me from the store in the event my friend gives me money to buy extra of x product so he can avail himself of my discount. The store would just be happy at the increased spending the voucher generated.

I fail to see the problem, especially in a situation like this, where any money spent on platinum is 100% profit for the developer.

Given the fact that platinum has a) zero cost overhead for the developer, so all money generated by platinum sales is all profit and b) able to be gained without spending a penny, i just don't understand the developer's position on this. Any money spent on platinum, at all, should be seen as a huge win by the dev.

Looking at it another way, say i got a 75% off plat voucher from log in rewards. Then say, in a moment of temporary insanity, i buy 10,000 platinum. If i decide to give half of it to a friend as a gift, with no money or other compensation from said friend, from what i've read here i could be punished by the developer. Even though they would have no way of knowing if said friend had given me money or not. It seems there is a chance they could accuse me of breaking their rules on discounts and judge me guilty even though i did nothing wrong. Convicted and punished on suspicion alone.

Please understand, this is in no way an attack on the developers, anyone else nor is it a critique of those who buy platinum (i have spent hundreds of pounds in this game myself over the last 8 weeks lol), in the end its the dev's house, so its the dev's rules . I am simply thinking it through to try to understand why the developers would think the practice of sharing a platinum discount is wrong.

I'm not 100% sure what i'm saying makes sense as i'm exhausted just now. I hope it does! :D

Edited by (PS4)xxFleetstdemonxx