Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Rework Idea

Zylofan

Nyx is one of the frames i look at fondly and always wonder what if...

latest?cb=20130130165524

Shes not a bad frame compared to many others and not one in dire need of a rework, but i still pine for the greener grass and so figured it was worth posting here to see what yall thought of my ideas.

The problems with nyx right now is that her first 2 abilities are not very powerful, her kit doesn't fit with her theme of being the psychic mind breaker as well as i would like, and nekros steps on her toes a bit ( fear = chaos, shadows of the dead > mind control) So my rework aims to address this.

This rework will use a new mechanic given to nyx similar to Niduses mutations. For the sake of simplicity im going to call it Psychic stacks, though a better name could be derived. The way it works is nyx gains stacks of this up to 100 passively over time, the counter accelerates though based on how many enemies are currently in her vision. (how fast this would be is up for debate, ideally it would not be to fast as to make stack trivial but not be to difficult that it is impossible to get 100)

Passive: Mind Trick

Enemies do not become aggressive towards nyx allowing her to move around free and unmolested until she performs an aggressive action. Cameras and laser grids are immune to this and will sound the alarms if they notice her which will make all alerted enemies aggressive to her.

Ability 1: Dominate (its mind control)

This ability effects a single enemy and converts them to Nyx's side. It does not have a timer associated with it anymore and the effected unit gains Nyx's shields as well as a boost to damage based on nyx's power strength and how many psychic stacks she currently has.

( this will hopefully make posses units more useful then they are currently without the need to equip her augment, it also differentiates her from nekros who summons a disposable hoard on a timer. Nyx converts a useful individual, a partner in crime.)

Ability 2: Command

Nyx delivers orders to her dominated unit. Pressing 2 while looking at an enemy will command her dominated unit to move and attack the enemy. Targeting a bit of floor will command the dominated unit to move and stay there, attacking any unit that enters in its line of sight. Targeting a control console will have the dominated unit move and hack the console for you, and holding down 2 will call the unit back to following you and attacking units near you.

( this adds to the idea that nyx controls a useful individual giving her strategic control and a real feeling of dominating the mind of this poor soul )

Ability 3: Mind Meld

All allies in a set area around nyx gain a dodge buff based on how many allies are also near nyx as well as how many psychic stacks she currently has. The ability lasts for a set duration and is effected by power duration.

(this simulates the allies being able to sense each other and communicate psychically, giving them eyes in the back of their heads, hence the dodge. This could stay as Chaos, but i felt Chaos and my suggested 4th ability overlapped to much.)

Ability 4: Executive Order

In an area around Nyx all enemies put their guns to their heads and kill themselves. (Infested break their own necks?) Every enemy effected consumes a psychic stack.

( i know the last ability just turns her into another ash but hopefully the slow drip feed of psychic stacks will stop her from just murdering everything constantly. I wanted to keep chaos but i felt it was less useful with this in play, and i just felt this was more dramatic and fun.)

So what do you guys think,?

Edited by Zylofan

so now Nyx has 3 Abilities - i don't think that's the way things should be handled. Bolts may have limited use, but replacing it with not an Ability isn't helping things.

why would you remove Chaos? and replace it with basically an RNG Turbulence.

instead of Absorb you want an AoE Blast?

i think i might like that passive though.

I think you made a good point about Nyx's 1, at least in comparison to Nekros. To me, her 1 and 2 are lacking, but I am quite fond of her 3 and 4 and feel those are central to Nyx's identity as a frame at this point. I am biased as Nyx is my most played frame behind Valkyr, and I see where you were headed here, but it's one of those "why fix what isn't broken" kind of things. Her 3 and 4 feel like a part of her, but her 1 and 2 could certainly get some QoL changes, maybe.

Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the idea. The passive seems nice, and so does the changes to the first ability. The second however...

I've never liked abilities that required another to be cast first. It wastes energy. Being in control of an enemy would be nice, but not like that.

Replacing the third and fourth was a bad idea. They aren't broken, they work amazingly well. There is no need for them to be changed. Replacing Chaos with whatever that was sounds terrible. Most players would prefer to attack rather than dodge, and most Tenno rarely play with NPCs. Providing them with a dodge buff is pretty useless. The Fourth is just... Well despite the fact that this is a game about killing people, the idea of them killing themselves is kinda sickening, at least to me. Yes it clears the room, but Chaos actually did that somewhat better, since it lasted for a while, and it didn't matter if some enemies weren't affected, those that were still attacked those that weren't.

Sorry, but this really doesn't seem that good. I'm a Nyx main, but this would honestly drive me away from her.

• 2 weeks later...

Her 4th ability has nothing to do with her theme, it should be moved to a different frame.

the dodge buff is not a buff to the dodge manuver I meant to say its an evasion buff like titanias, enemies will miss more oftten.

I am fine putting her current 3 on her new 4, i just felt it was more thematic, but her current 4 still has no place on Nyx, it doesnt fit her theme, it doesnt meld with her other abilities, its just there. Its like if valkyr had an ability that gave her the ability to give her teamates heat vision... thats cool, and its not broken... but it has nothing to do with the frame. Nyx is about being psychic, what is psychic about her 4 other than the way she sits and floats in the air?

On 27.02.2017 at 9:43 AM, Zylofan said:

Nyx is one of the frames i look at fondly and always wonder what if...

latest?cb=20130130165524

Shes not a bad frame compared to many others and not one in dire need of a rework, but i still pine for the greener grass and so figured it was worth posting here to see what yall thought of my ideas.

The problems with nyx right now is that her first 2 abilities are not very powerful, her kit doesn't fit with her theme of being the psychic mind breaker as well as i would like, and nekros steps on her toes a bit ( fear = chaos, shadows of the dead > mind control) So my rework aims to address this.

This rework will use a new mechanic given to nyx similar to Niduses mutations. For the sake of simplicity im going to call it Psychic stacks, though a better name could be derived. The way it works is nyx gains stacks of this up to 100 passively over time, the counter accelerates though based on how many enemies are currently in her vision. (how fast this would be is up for debate, ideally it would not be to fast as to make stack trivial but not be to difficult that it is impossible to get 100)

Passive: Mind Trick

Enemies do not become aggressive towards nyx allowing her to move around free and unmolested until she performs an aggressive action. Cameras and laser grids are immune to this and will sound the alarms if they notice her which will make all alerted enemies aggressive to her.

Ability 1: Dominate (its mind control)

This ability effects a single enemy and converts them to Nyx's side. It does not have a timer associated with it anymore and the effected unit gains Nyx's shields as well as a boost to damage based on nyx's power strength and how many psychic stacks she currently has.

( this will hopefully make posses units more useful then they are currently without the need to equip her augment, it also differentiates her from nekros who summons a disposable hoard on a timer. Nyx converts a useful individual, a partner in crime.)

Ability 2: Command

Nyx delivers orders to her dominated unit. Pressing 2 while looking at an enemy will command her dominated unit to move and attack the enemy. Targeting a bit of floor will command the dominated unit to move and stay there, attacking any unit that enters in its line of sight. Targeting a control console will have the dominated unit move and hack the console for you, and holding down 2 will call the unit back to following you and attacking units near you.

( this adds to the idea that nyx controls a useful individual giving her strategic control and a real feeling of dominating the mind of this poor soul )

Ability 3: Mind Meld

All allies in a set area around nyx gain a dodge buff based on how many allies are also near nyx as well as how many psychic stacks she currently has. The ability lasts for a set duration and is effected by power duration.

(this simulates the allies being able to sense each other and communicate psychically, giving them eyes in the back of their heads, hence the dodge. This could stay as Chaos, but i felt Chaos and my suggested 4th ability overlapped to much.)

Ability 4: Executive Order

In an area around Nyx all enemies put their guns to their heads and kill themselves. (Infested break their own necks?) Every enemy effected consumes a psychic stack.

( i know the last ability just turns her into another ash but hopefully the slow drip feed of psychic stacks will stop her from just murdering everything constantly. I wanted to keep chaos but i felt it was less useful with this in play, and i just felt this was more dramatic and fun.)

So what do you guys think,?

I think it absolutely unnecessary and here are some weak spots in your suggestions :

1) passive will be overpowered - the more crowded you will be - better just raise the trigger ratio in original effect

2) Mind Control : better left as it is or at most - remove timer from the augment mod but keep it in unaugmented original way + remove limitation to have multiple minions through this ability - as if Chaos casted but they are more organized, and no more changes - it should stay helpful useful but not ultimate ( each consequent cast can become significantly more expensive in energy - for balance reasons)

3) Command - is completely unnecessary as a replacement

but after reducing the amount of charges to 1 per cast it could be good to add existing mechancs  - Psy-balls could do some various effects on impact depending on the impact source ( enemy\converts\allies\walls - order involved)  : order drop weapon  (immediately 100%) \ replenish timer \ give temporary radiation resistance \ simple explosion combining blast + radiation (for balance reasons cost could be various for different impact sources)

4) yeah - this time i'll agree - it's really helpful for a support-role party member to be useful for others but - better add this to existing Chaos mechanic - making both effects trigger in the same time for same area and for the same duration of time - making the two effects become one

5) pretty nice but - please, no similarity to other warframes ! - warframes should be as different as possible - so PLEASE no Ash mechanics in a Nyx abilities !

Still ? current ultra is not Nyx natural - it could better suit Ash or Volt but not Nyx - so it could be better replaces with something more Nyx-like mind twisting like ^ depending on the enemy affected : melees' - attack their allies, shooters - drop their arms, kamikazes' - explodes on the spot, robots - switches off until disturbed, elites' - got staggered (50% to fall down), snipers & bosses - become spot-blinded - they 100% miss their 1st next target completely and unable to use AoE ability for the same one time - each effect explained here is should be applied if applicable

All this will make Nyx much more party-useful and solidly performing

10 hours ago, Zylofan said:

Her 4th ability has nothing to do with her theme, it should be moved to a different frame.

the dodge buff is not a buff to the dodge manuver I meant to say its an evasion buff like titanias, enemies will miss more oftten.

I am fine putting her current 3 on her new 4, i just felt it was more thematic, but her current 4 still has no place on Nyx, it doesnt fit her theme, it doesnt meld with her other abilities, its just there. Its like if valkyr had an ability that gave her the ability to give her teamates heat vision... thats cool, and its not broken... but it has nothing to do with the frame. Nyx is about being psychic, what is psychic about her 4 other than the way she sits and floats in the air?

i personally think it should be the Volt's ultra  - because his current ultra tastes & smells & works as a weakened Nyx's : you're vulnerable while casting \\ you have no control over the damage dealt by ability \\ no control over status ratio \\ unable to move (completely - Nyx have an augment for hers)