Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Which is better twin basalisk or dex dakra?

universalcobra

Question

12 answers to this question

For a beginner i will always recommend the karak as rifle and the strun as shotgun (new players love this one, because it oneshots lower levels).

Dont forget to get all your stuff to 30 before throwing it out!

Edited by CrudShuzKong

Try Basolk out.

Get it to 30 and if you really like it, plug more time and forma into it to get it fully modded.

Or discard it if you don't like it... There are a number of dual sword models out there The Basolks (iirc) are status and heat based, have really short range, and a teleport gimmick with it's specialty mod. If that sounds like your jam... Do it up.

Play styles being what they are, you will have to try out a bunch of different stuff to find things you like and some of those things will be locked behind Mastery Rank (which is increased by getting weapons/frames to rank 30 and taking MR tests).

For me, as an example:

• I prefer single hand secondaries
  • Am a shotgun fan (even when they were terrible)
  • I don't like sniper rifles but do like bows and burst (or that I can burst fire with) rifles
  • I like frames that let me control the speed of the engagement and are defensive as opposed to offensive.
  • If I like the way a melee weapon looks and I like the combos on a chosen mod... I'll probably like the weapon ok.

Those preferences all let me narrow my choices by a good bit... In order to get there though, I had to try a lot of different stuff out.

Don't fall into the trap of "what's most effective/efficient"... Actually being forced to think about the challenges and how you will handle them with your Arsenal makes you a better and more flexible player.

for a new player, i'd heavily recommend zhuge. its a fantastic weapon even at higher lvls but takes some getting used to. as far as melee weapons go, i cant really recall the mr lock of destreza, but if its low enough do get it. its really an amazing weapon as well.

40 minutes ago, Padre_Akais said:

Don't fall into the trap of "what's most effective/efficient"... Actually being forced to think about the challenges and how you will handle them with your Arsenal makes you a better and more flexible player.

^^This. So Very Much This.

It might sound trivial but this is THE VERY BESTEST advice anyone could give you at this point. Like, for reals. If I could upvote this 20 times I would.

You gain Mastery Rank with leveling weapons, but you can only get TRUE Mastery with understanding. People will frequently slap you round the head with a high DPS* build on WF Builder** or perfect scores in the Simulacrum*** but these mean absolutely nothing in the field. Or very little. Because in the field playstyle, synergy and personal preference are far more important then the DPS-on-paper.

Edit: oh, and a good primary that'll carry you through most of the starmap is actually the Braton. And I'm not even kidding.

*DPS: Damage Per Second

**Warframe Builder, design and fiddle around with your mods while getting a detailed readout statswise: http://warframe-builder.com/Home

***Simulacrum: a place in the relays where you can test builds in a controlled environment: http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Sanctuary_(Cephalon_Simaris)#Simulacrum

Edited by ComCray

People underestimate the Twin Basolk's potential at higher levels. It can reach 100% status chance if all 4 dual stat mods are used, and has innate elemental damage. Thus, if built for blast and corrosive, you'll either be knocking enemies on their butt or stripping their armor away on literally every hit.

Also, the augment for the Basolks, Rift Strike (http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Rift_Strike) is exceptionally good if used with things like Assimilate Nyx, or just pretty fun regardless.

5 hours ago, ComCray said:

You gain Mastery Rank with leveling weapons, but you can only get TRUE Mastery with understanding. People will frequently slap you round the head with a high DPS* build on WF Builder** or perfect scores in the Simulacrum*** but these mean absolutely nothing in the field. Or very little. Because in the field playstyle, synergy and personal preference are far more important then the DPS-on-paper.

Quoted for Truth.

There are enough good and effective weapons to allow for a pretty broad range of personal preference when it comes to the day-to-day stuff all the way through to most of the Sorties.

And, IMO, this is especially true when you hit that area where weapons are so close in comparison that's hard to tell which is (objectively) better. 

Both Twin Basolk and Dex Dakra are really good weapons and the Swirling Tiger stance's "pause" and "block" combos will do a lot of the heavy lifting.

Spoiler

This is often the case with Melee weapons, sure the stats do matter for the build options but the stances generally make or break those weapons.  

Slight aside here but the main thing "wrong" with Machetes isn't so much the stats as much as the stance.

Stat wise the Gazal Machete is fairly comparable to the Dakra Prime, which pre-Broken War was considered a top tier single sword. 

The functional difference between the 2 is that single Sword has really good stance options and Machetes have drek.

If you like and can have both I'd go so far as to recommend doing that. That way if you do Sorties you can offset certain conditions. 

• Enemy Physical Resistance/Enemy Physical Enhancement = Twin Basolk
  • Enemy Elemental Resistance/Enemy Elemental Enhancement = Dex Dakra

To the topic of Builds and Simulacrum stuffs.

Don't believe everything you see and hear that relies on "sims" as it's one thing to derp around in there against one or some amount of Heavy Gunners/Corrupted Bombards, etc. and quite another to actually make some of that "op" stuff work in the field.

In the field, you'll want to learn what works for you and fits your playstyle, and as long as it continues to work for you that's all that matters.

Cheers!
~R~

While I am no Expert, since you asked for Primary weapon advice, and you are a new Player. The Karak is fun, and so is the Strun. But if you got a little Plat, try and buy a copy of the Braton Prime. Everyone should get one at some Point. It is a very VERY good Rifle weapon, and even later in the game, and up to Sortie Levels.. Once you get a Catalyst and a few Forma on it, it can Melt enemies with its High Status Chance.

re: Primary weapons.

On 3/5/2017 at 8:12 AM, universalcobra said:

keep in mind im so bad  i just got frost as my second warframe

Since you said this I'm going to go with the idea that you're pretty low MR (Mastery Rank).

Re: Weapons-

SO first of all the best advice I’ve seen given is finding weapons you enjoy and using the right tool for the job as the main goal. 
Propper Mod-ing is more important than base item stats as it's the mods that let the weapon be effective. That said once you're into mod-ing that is when you'll see where the base stats matter too since that is what the mods work off of.

As you get more experienced you'll probably get a good feel for how it all works. ;-)

NOW all that said, here're my own recommendations for some very fine weapons of Rank 4 or lower.

Primary:
Torrid (a nice intro to Launchers and one with no self-damage. It does an AoE cloud effect which is pretty nice and a weapon worth keeping.

Dread (whenever you manage to get it from the Stalker. It's his most dropped b.p. but that doesn't mean he'll be nice and show up and drop it in a timely matter =p. You can "farm" him by killing Boss mobs which is a really good idea to do anyhow for their Frame parts b.p.s)

Quanta (it's an ok weapon, it will also introduce you to a different style of weapon. This one is Beams and also Alt Fire. Worth building but not a permanent keeper since there's a better version you can get later on (the Quanta Vandal {which is also MR 4!} from Baro Ki'teer when he has it).

Sobek (shotgun, worth keeping as there are some very nice mods that make it pretty good).

Hek (shotgun, better than the Sobek as it's easier to mod and has a very nice syndicate mod that boosts it a lot. It's on par with its MR12 Syndicate version the Vaykor Hek, so it is that good).

Zhuge (crossbow, totally a keeper. Good stats across the board and it is silent. Easy to mod since it has strong crit and status. Do a few Alerts for some Nitain and Argon Crystals are easy to get now in the Void))

Karak (a decent low-rank weapon that you can use but won't keep. It's pretty much a precursor to the Soma (mr6), which is a very fine weapon indeed).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Karak Wraith.

Grakata (fun full auto weapon, can also be used to build the Twin Grakata secondaries for more MR).
- there is an upgrade version in the form of the Prisma Grakata.

Primes totally worth getting when you have the Plat for it or are able to farm them:

Paris Prime (Bow; the Paris Prime is a good bow just below the Dread and is a pretty common drop).

Braton Prime (really good full auto rifle, also fairly common).

Lex Prime (one of the top Secondaries and again fairly common, altho slightly less so since the Aklex Prime became a thing).

Hope that helps, cheers!
~R~

p.s.

Also if you are really new to the game you might like to check this out, it'd probably be helpful.

https://forums.warframe.com/topic/601921-warframe-quickstart-newbie-guide-update-18/

Edited by Rolunde
added link