Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Experimental Mechanic - A new Hydroid passive

The_Sharp_Demonologist

I have been thinking about Hydroid a lot in the past weeks and looking at his kit he desperately needs a rework. I already got a few ideas stored but I got a different project on the works so it's got to wait. In the meantime I was curious about an idea for his new passive and felt like sharing it to see what you guys think.

Current Passive is unreliable

His current passive is pretty useless, mostly due to how unreliable his tentacles are (a running theme on his kit sadly). They tent to attack random targets and toss them around at random directions, which is funny until you have to attack the guy and can't get a good shot/hit cause the tentacle keeps flopping about without a reliable direction. Not to mention they don't

I believe I got a more interesting idea for his passive.

New passive to fit a new play style

I won't give away what I'm planning for Hydroid just yet but I will say his abilities will rely on player's aim and situational awareness rather than RNG. It's also gonna be Energy intensive, think something like Excalibur, Ember or maybe Nidus.

Due to various comments and discussions the passive won't apply anymore, too many possible headaches so I will be planning on a new one. On the mean time feel free to suggest your own ideas or tweaks for this one.

Eyes on the prize:

(name still temporary) Hydroid always looks to find the best treasures the enemies have to offer.

It's a two part passive, kinda like Nidus or Inaros.

A fool's fortune: Enemies affected by Hydroid's abilities will have their Drop tables completely  inverted for 7 seconds.

- Duration affected by Power Duration.

Plunderer: Hydroid gains energy depending on the rarity of the items he collects.

- Common: 5 Energy

- Uncommon: 10 Energy

- Rare: 20 Energy

- Energy is given per stack not per unit. For example a Stack of 200 Polymer Bundle will only give 5 energy while 3 Control Modules will give 20 Energy.

Closing thoughts

Again this is just a hypothetic passive for Hydroid and I just wanted to share it on the forums and see what people think about it. Would it be broken or underpowered? Just Imagine if someone like Volt had it, that's the closest approximation to what I'm planning with Hydroid, except less damage and more focus on CC.

What you guys think? leave your comments down below.

Edited by The_Sharp_Demonologist

I personally would rather not have hydroid be focused solely on the role of Ophelia on Uranus, the thread I made addresses his entire kit's issues including his passive that nothing in his ability set factors properly. Loot is great and a necessity for this game to function as we all know, but making him MORE focused on getting loot goes against what needs fixing about him.

So I personally would have to disagree with this solely because it only emphasizes an unhealthy playstyle Hydroid has.

24 minutes ago, RikerWatts said:

I personally would rather not have hydroid be focused solely on the role of Ophelia on Uranus, the thread I made addresses his entire kit's issues including his passive that nothing in his ability set factors properly. Loot is great and a necessity for this game to function as we all know, but making him MORE focused on getting loot goes against what needs fixing about him.

So I personally would have to disagree with this solely because it only emphasizes an unhealthy playstyle Hydroid has.

The new passive is focused on his Piracy theme, he is off to find the best loot he could ever want and is rewarded with a constant flow of Energy so its not like he is focused on only getting loot (like Nekros' dececrate) the new passive has a retroactive nature, you find shiny stiff, get energy to keep blasting foes with water for more shiny stuff.

I do understand your point So what would you suggest for a more fitting passive?

Since hydroid is such a caster focused frame, along with the rework I had presented here, would make his abilities have a more power strength and range while near the waters of his abilities. Since he's meant to be a sort of trap and defense based frame that we can see based on his kit, the best idea is to emphasize a workable kit that helps that aspect along with a passive that could also work with that.
While his current passive is a slam attack CAN spawn a tentacle, it really doesn't factor into his kit anywhere since you have to go out of your way to make the slam attack work. Sure it's not hard, but like his kit, it doesn't flow well together.

Anything that can fit the pirate-style role he has going on along with meshing well with his kit would be great, just not something that enforces an unhealthy playstyle

21 minutes ago, RikerWatts said:

Since hydroid is such a caster focused frame, along with the rework I had presented here, would make his abilities have a more power strength and range while near the waters of his abilities. Since he's meant to be a sort of trap and defense based frame that we can see based on his kit, the best idea is to emphasize a workable kit that helps that aspect along with a passive that could also work with that.
While his current passive is a slam attack CAN spawn a tentacle, it really doesn't factor into his kit anywhere since you have to go out of your way to make the slam attack work. Sure it's not hard, but like his kit, it doesn't flow well together.

Anything that can fit the pirate-style role he has going on along with meshing well with his kit would be great, just not something that enforces an unhealthy playstyle

What if we keep the energy per drop effect but remove the inverted drop tables?

On 3/17/2017 at 11:59 AM, The_Sharp_Demonologist said:

why? we get loot all the time, and this would give some interresting synergy with Nekros who already tents to pop around high level missions all the time.

Any frame's playstyle should not be based off of farming things. Nekro's desecrate is more for health orbs as support for the team, the farming aspect just makes him doubly suitable for that exact aspect. Making hydroid's core aspect farming won't make him a frame any more than a farmer.

On 3/21/2017 at 10:56 AM, The_Sharp_Demonologist said:

huh.... i did not though of that.

*Only affects resources.

Problem solved?

Maybe make it to where enemies affected ALWAYS drop a resource?

Really cool passive, but could use some tweaks so that we don't murder the market.

17 hours ago, KX297 said:

*Only affects resources.

Problem solved?

Really cool passive, but could use some tweaks so that we don't murder the market.

This would still cause massive inflation in resources, resulting in DE creating more Hema-like requirements due to the excessive amounts of resources this would result in.

On 3/15/2017 at 11:40 AM, The_Sharp_Demonologist said:

Duration affected by Power Duration.

About the only thing I can comment on is this.  Passives shouldn't be affected by mods or stats, afaik no passive is currently.  If there are any, oh well my bad, but they shouldn't be.  Passives should be just that, passive, as in not having to worry about whether your stats or build make it better or worse.

I also kinda agree with the person who doesn't want hydroid to be so loot oriented.  It just feels odd to me.  It would pretty much require vacuum and pilfering swarm as prereqs for any hydroid, otherwise it wouldn't be fulfilling its potential.

I strongly dislike the current passive.  It demands a very strict playstyle, that of constant groundslams, that I find distasteful.  I just don't see this concept as being very viable.  Not to mention the amount of loot obtained in some missions is obscenely high at times, he'd never run out of energy and I can't see that as balanced at all.

I guess that's three things.  Oh well.  I didn't comment on the inversion part because that will just never happen.

On 22/3/2017 at 3:19 PM, KX297 said:

*Only affects resources.

Problem solved?

8 hours ago, reptillicus said:

This would still cause massive inflation in resources, resulting in DE creating more Hema-like requirements due to the excessive amounts of resources this would result in.

Thats a good point i did not though about that, perhaps ahouls think of a new passive

7 hours ago, Xekrin said:

About the only thing I can comment on is this.  Passives shouldn't be affected by mods or stats, afaik no passive is currently.  If there are any, oh well my bad, but they shouldn't be.  Passives should be just that, passive, as in not having to worry about whether your stats or build make it better or worse.

I also kinda agree with the person who doesn't want hydroid to be so loot oriented.  It just feels odd to me.  It would pretty much require vacuum and pilfering swarm as prereqs for any hydroid, otherwise it wouldn't be fulfilling its potential.

I strongly dislike the current passive.  It demands a very strict playstyle, that of constant groundslams, that I find distasteful.  I just don't see this concept as being very viable.  Not to mention the amount of loot obtained in some missions is obscenely high at times, he'd never run out of energy and I can't see that as balanced at all.

I guess that's three things.  Oh well.  I didn't comment on the inversion part because that will just never happen.

On the contrary i think Passive should affect other abilities. Like in LoL where Passive range from just a small boost for something to outright dictating the diference between life and death. Passive should be an important part of the kit. Its essentially another ability that works on the background, or in case of Nidus offers a different resource for abilities.

After reading various comments i have to agree the Passive has too many troublesome implications to be usable so im going back to the drawing board. This is why its good to have second opinions.