Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Impressions Of The New Boss (Raptor)

Luminati07

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd give my impressions on the new boss. Granted, I've only killed him 2 times I think, keep that in mind.

Ok, here we go.

He seems to be a very...unintuitive and cheap boss in almost every possible respect.

He's not fun to fight, he doesn't have any cool or new tactics.

He seems to be very run of the mill, and very cheap boss.

His attacks put you down extremely quickly, even when you're not near the blast (he put me down through one of those massive metal doors, and I wasn't anywhere near the blast).

However, this is most likely a bug.

Giving a boss cheap attacks just gives the illusion of difficulty, and is not fun at all to fight.

Seriously, this boss is a massive disappointment, and incredibly boring to fight.

(remember, this is my first impressions)

Apologies if this seems like a rant, it's not intended to be. I'm just annoyed that the new boss is just one of those boring, cheap-shot bosses.

If they added different tactics to him and probably more special moves that would be very interesting. I found it amusing when he lost a certain amount of health he would close up, take no damage, reload his shield and fire a hailstorm of missiles. A move like that is interesting and allows you to think more. If he could do other forms of moves or if you could do other things like stun his gun for example, stop him from firing, or if he could drop something like mines or leech shields, and make his blast weaker so he would have a variation of things to do, that would be more challenging and interesting.

The problem with a boss taht flies high in the sky.....

WHERE DID THE DROPS GO!?

Argh.

They seriously need to address where the drops appear when you kill him, because when he flies that high, the drops could fly anywhere, even out of bounds or places you can't reach.... that's probably why people think he's not dropping anything. Tried him three times, and all 3 he "appeared" to drop nothing......but I found a mod......in the very corner of the "room".

The problem with a boss taht flies high in the sky.....

WHERE DID THE DROPS GO!?

Argh.

They seriously need to address where the drops appear when you kill him, because when he flies that high, the drops could fly anywhere, even out of bounds or places you can't reach.... that's probably why people think he's not dropping anything. Tried him three times, and all 3 he "appeared" to drop nothing......but I found a mod......in the very corner of the "room".

No the boss just pop-out even in the ground leaving nothing (anyway i got chassis for nova)

Edited by Dasmir

Aside from dropping nothing...he's no fun. A boss that one shots you from the sky while doing nothing but hovering there isn't interesting or fun. Especially when he can just make himself invulnerable at will. The only real tactic to this fight is snowglobe and shoot.

No the boss just pop-out even in the ground leaving nothing (anyway i got chassis for nova)

My point is, even if they do fix the boss's drops... the flying nature of this boss will make drops VERY hard to find, unless they fix how drops are generated and where the drops appear for this boss.

I mean.....they couldn't forsee that a FLYING boss would have wonky drops, when ragdoll physics gets applied to mods and BPs and the resources hover where the boss died?

FLYING boss dies way up in the air.....well guess nobody's getting the resources that drop, eh? What happens when the BP orb falls ontop of the mountain?

Did they think about this?

Even if they force it to fall straight down.....what happens if the boss dies while hovering way over the mountain?

The drops need to appear on a fixed point in the map that is accessible (right outside the door to the "Greenhouse" works).

Edited by Xylia

Stand in a door way/open container then Switch Teleport with him. He will get stuck (still attacks) and make for an easy kill. Also Switch Teleport gets him unstuck from the cliff.

Incoming nerf in 3, 2, 1....

The most problm i have with this guy is that his rockets are TINY... Why is that a problem?... Because i don't get a telepgraphy to actually dodge him... If he at least POINTED towards the place he's shooting it would be fine, but most of the time he's just floating there like an oversized osprey with lots of HP...

This boss hovers up and down in place while he shoots laggy rockets at people.

He is completely defeated by even a single Frost who knows how to use his shield skill. Otherwise, the ordnance this boss uses is so spiky and poorly telegraphed that generally you will be dead before you even realize you've been targeted. This is not fun.

So far I've seen him drop absolutely nothing on 3 runs. Not a figurative nothing-- literally nothing.

I'm impressed that you guys managed to ship update 9 so fast, but this is uh... bad. I understand that bugs happen, but even discounting the likely drop table bugginess, the apparent design of the fight itself is underwhelming.

Raptor feels like the "first-pass" bosses that have been in the game since early beta and it seemed like you guys were in the process of replacing with better fights.

Edited by Barnago

The first boss, that killed my Rhino. He killed my shade with two or three shot, i tried to run away but was with his bombs. And shotguns are very ineffective against him because he flies too high and you deal very low damage. Also got nothing for killing him. No mods, no blueprints, no resources.

Yea the missles do way too much damage, oneshots most caster frames and tanks die with 2 to 3 hits.

Also it's way too easy target hovering where everybody can just shoot at it.

With Frost's snow globe or Trinity's link it becomes easy mode solo.

And it doesn't drop anything.

Edited by techman

He just kind of spams rockets and those AoE lasers from above which I don't find very fun at all. At least when there is a Loki around there is the possibility to just trap him into that small two way room that looks like a greenhouse.

Sad thing is though, I'm running into the same issue techman mentioned. No drops.

Not even common mats or a random mod. Just... nothing? This can't be intended.

I randomly joined a friend doing the Raptor today (the only time I've fought him) and joined the lobby in need of revival as I must have spawned on one of those rockets.

He has so much potential to look awesome (Why call him Raptor if he's just an Osprey), but kinda doesn't. The freeze-and-die missiles that he and the jackal shoot aren't bad, but the jackal's go up first before slowly tracking you, his just seem to be right on you.

One run. One drop. Get some nova.
If it took three runs to get the nova, everyone would stop fighting the boss.

Have to agree, he just spams attacks at you from the sky which are cheaply powerfull. He has no rythem to him. No tactics you need to perform and all that while finding cover can be difficult. Sure there are a lot of objects but in order to actualy hit him you need to go into the open, since he constantly dives behind the pile of crates and objects.

A boss like this should stay in the open all the time with cover being there for US, not him.

There is no fun in fighting him since it's just "hit him with your strongest fast firing attack" and "run for cover to recover your shields)

He really should be a lot more like the Jackal.

Basicly when in the air, he should follow a movement rythem while bombarding you. During this he should be the weakest at his gravity generators. Shooting these forces him down. Where he will attack anything 180° in front of him with his gattling guns, but being weak at the back. After some time he closes his shields and fires a knockback nova. Then he starts up again and you have to repeat the process. Add some behaviour change at mid health and he could be more enjoyable to fight. Just an idea.

Overall, there is a lot of room for improvement on this boss.