If that is your Ninja definition:

Reveal hidden contents

100022-product-silo.png

Then no the game is not about ninjas.

But if that is your definition of ninja:

Reveal hidden contents

Poster-Naruto-Poster-Naruto-223516-s.jpg

Then this game is about ninjas.

Exactly. This game is all about Cyborg Ninjas and Ninja magi-tek. 

The gist of the "Ninjas Play for Free" claim is DE's definition of a ninja. Theirs is more along the lines of Ninja Gaiden and it's ilk. The sort of "power fantasy ninja". Where they are superhuman powerful and success of the mission is doing as much flashy damage as possible and murdering everything with overwhelming power. Many would draw parallels with anime depictions. 

When I think ninja, the first thing I see is Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell. Where the success of the mission depends on patience, skill and knowledge. This is where you are underpowered in the traditional sense. Outnumbered and outgunned, with your only hope of victory being to play the battlefield itself to your favor and where a single mistake can spell disaster. 

The of course there's the history aspect. The game really did start off more ninja-y. Enemies were fewer but more dangerous. Our powers were more finicky and not as world-shattering powerful. We're still "ninjas" but the context has gone more towards the flashy power-fantasy side. We have all the attributes of those types of ninjas. Crazy gadgets and weapons, insane mobility, weird and near god-like powers that set us far above the rank-n-file grunt. 

Fun fact: Tenno=/=ninja

Tenno are warriors, seriously dont think that they are ninja just because "ninjas play free" or because they just look like ninja.  

Also Wukong doesnt looks like ninja? *looks at Atlas and Rhino* Well he's not the only one. 

PS. Ash is based on ninjas.

Edited by DanujCZ
I had this stupid idea.

9 hours ago, SilvaDreams said:

Yes and no.

Dojo/guild same thing. They were learning places for a trade.

Weapons... We have weapons from all over not just Asia.

Wording? Well honor and the likes again aren't just an Asian thing.

Names.. They are names from a point far into the future were all culture has combined.

Play style... Eh yes it takes some keys from anime.

It's called a dojo though, and have you ever seen all the different stuff you can place inside it, seems pretty Japanese

fair point on weapons

dont remember where I was going with wording but ever notice the posing?

names like lotus seem to remind me of Asia and nikana

ash again, stealth based with an ability that has shuriken, wukong seems pretty martial arties with his abilities being bare on his staff

47 minutes ago, (PS4)T3H0N3GUY said:

It's called a dojo though, and have you ever seen all the different stuff you can place inside it, seems pretty Japanese

fair point on weapons

dont remember where I was going with wording but ever notice the posing?

names like lotus seem to remind me of Asia and nikana

ash again, stealth based with an ability that has shuriken, wukong seems pretty martial arties with his abilities being bare on his staff

Well Ash is based on a ninja, stealth isn't just a asian thing either.

Wukong was taken from Chinaframe and is based off  of Son Wukong (the monkey king from Journey to the West)

19 minutes ago, SilvaDreams said:

Well Ash is based on a ninja, stealth isn't just a asian thing either.

Wukong was taken from Chinaframe and is based off  of Son Wukong (the monkey king from Journey to the West)

There's always a wukong

smite. Ace of arenas. Warframe. I know that but I'm just saying. Warframe has ninja and non ninja stuff.