Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What is Clickbait?

(PSN)chubbslawson

Question

7 answers to this question

A clickbait is when someone uses a title, thumbnail, or whatever else can be used to get people to click on their article/video/thread, that is intentionally misleading or intentionally (and unnecessarily) withholds information that could easily have been made available, in order to "fool" people into clicking.

Clickbaiting can take many forms, depending on the medium and context. For instance, here in the forums, a clickbait title would look like these:

"I've been thinking..." (no information given on title, forcing people to click the thread to know what's even about)

"Am I the only one that..." (same)

Or any other variation of starting a sentence and needlessly cutting it off mid-way so people won't know what it's about unless they enter.

"I am so tired of farming!" would make you think the thread is about there being too much farming in the game, if you enter it and it turns out it's not even about farming at all, that would be a misleading title, thus clickbait.

Or even something intentionally inflammatory and outrageous that's just there to get people's attention, could be considered clickbait, especially if the thread's contents are much less inflammatory (or otherwise discredit it).