Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Windows 10 updates video drivers mid-game

ThunderBobo

So, the "return from mission" loading screen before displaying the mission results is just long enough to let Windows Update think "hey, the machine is idle, I'll just auto-update the graphics driver now."

Most applications aren't adversely affected by this, but most applications aren't throwing tons of full-screen 3D geometry around.

Warframe does *not* cope well with having the graphics driver suddenly yanked out from under it, which really isn't that surprising.  The result is a black screen that never lets go, requiring a reboot.

This has happened both to my wife and to myself on multiple occasions; I had to dig into Event Viewer to find that the culprit was Windows Update replacing the graphics driver behind the scenes.

This is absolutely, positively, a stupid Windows policy and arguably not Warframe's/DE's problem.  However, if you don't like their auto-update policies, Microsoft has made it very clear where you can shove your opinion.  (Windows 10 Pro can control this with group policy, but none of the limited update control options available for Windows 10 Home affect this.)

In light of that, would it be possible to update the Warframe client to detect sudden total failure of the underlying graphics driver and try to reinitialize the display somehow, or at least handle the failure more gracefully?

Thanks!

This was the first link google gave me that has instructions to turn this off.

Added warning. this is still a link that I do not know how secure it is except that it was the first google result on "turn off automatic graphics updates windows 10"

Cant check this myself right now but this is not really something a game should be dealing with. This is on windows / the graphics update program not recognizing that there is something running.

Edited by Airwolfen

In fact I did complain to Microsoft about it, and they told me where to shove my complaint. (See original post.)  Their position is that automatic updates are a vital component of maintaining a secure blah blah blah buzzwords blah blah blah. If any application does not behave properly during or after an update, they consider that a problem with the application and recommend reporting the issue to the application developer.  So here I am.

Microsoft also pointed out that Warframe is the only application where we experience this issue, claiming that's further evidence that it's a Warframe problem.  (That is, of course, a total cop-out.)

You can indeed make a very strong argument that Microsoft shouldn't update drivers while they are in use.  You just can't make that argument to Microsoft, because they don't want to hear it.

Given Microsoft's obnoxious position on the issue, I figured I may as well report it to DE in the hope of getting a warmer response.

Edited by ThunderBobo