Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Questions about Focus

imtooniceforthis

Question

So, I've been thinking about this for way too long and I'm super confused now. I need someone to help me with this.

After the quest I chose Madurai (why oh lord why) and as much as I regretted it later, I did start farming focus. I put a lens on thing and went on my merry way. I gathered enough to upgrade the Phoenix Gaze once. However, I keep seeing people in missions and everywhere kinda like pressing 5 and the operator floats and the warframe collapses on the ground. Then the operator does stuff and things and returns inside the warframe. However when I press 5, my warframe just stands there like a dork and I run around like a headless chicken. I don't float or anything. I can use the basic abilities (?) like the dash and hiding. Why doesn't my operator float or do anything cool? Is it because the Phoenix Gaze isn't fully ranked? Or because it's not on the actual warframe? Or what?

Well, I have a Zanurik lens now and I put it on a thing and Focus thingy says I need to get 50,000 unlock the Zanurik tree. That's simple enough, yeah, but let's say I put the lens on Loki and I achieve the tree and I unluck all the abilities I need from Zanurik. Does the Zanurik and it's abilities only work with Loki who has the lens or can I use Zanurik abilities like Void Pulse and stuff with, let's say, Rhino or Banshee who don't have the lens? I read that the lenses are a way to collect focus, nothing else.

As said, I'm really confused. Hope y'all know what I mean.

11 answers to this question

Your Focus abilities are not tied to your frames or lenses. Focus is a fully independent progression system that is equipped and augmented from the Operator menu. Lenses allow you to generate Focus points for leveling your Focus schools; they do not "equip" a school. Just put it on a frame you use a lot and you're golden.

Also a tip: It is recommended that you put lenses in frames, rather than weapons, because of how affinity is distributed. A lens in a weapon would lose any affinity generated by kills with a Warframe power, whereas a lens in a frame will generate the same amount from weapon kills in addition to the full amount from Warframe powers.

Edit: My sleep-deprived brain didn't pick up on the fact you were asking about Transference vs Focus. *facepalm* My bad, could have been more helpful.

Edited by (PS4)BlitzKeir

Thank you so much for a quick reply and clearing the issue for me. So the lenses are like gathering materials for Focus, and only that. That's good to know.
I know that you're supposed to use frames. Back when I put the lens on my Tigris Prime, I thought that because I used it a lot, it's a better choice than a frame I use often but not that often. I might put it on Loki, probably, but right now, for example, I'm using a lot of Frost and Rhino, so idk generating that sweet Focus could be a little slow bc I'm not using Loki.

1.- You need to press 5 without releasing the button to activate your Tenno powers. Regular press of 5 will allow your operator to walk around.

(To be honest I wish it was the other way around, quick press 5 for power and hold button for walking around).

2.- The abilities of the Tenno (zenurik, madurai, whatever) are shared on every one of your warframes as long you chose it as your current power in the tenno focus menu.

The lenses only work to give you xp to level your school of choice, so if you are not using a warframe or a weapon with lense on it, you won't get any xp for the school.

But the power can still be use on a warframe with no lense requirement.

5 minutes ago, NecromancerX69 said:

1.- You need to press 5 without releasing the button to activate your Tenno powers. Regular press of 5 will allow your operator to walk around.

(To be honest I wish it was the other way around, quick press 5 for power and hold button for walking around).

2.- The abilities of the Tenno (zenurik, madurai, whatever) are shared on every one of your warframes as long you chose it as your current power in the tenno focus menu.

The lenses only work to give you xp to level your school of choice, so if you are not using a warframe or a weapon with lense on it, you won't get any xp for the school.

But the power can still be use on a warframe with no lense requirement.

this ^ it took me, like, a week to figure out that holding down 5 activates focus after it charges up fully (the meter is in the bottom right).  it also took me significantly longer to figure out that I can prematurely deactivate the focus once it's triggered and still get the full effects.  tapping 5 just makes you run around as the operator, which comes in handy for kuva missions.

but yeah anything with lenses will give you the xp, but you can use focus on any frame.  for maximum amount of xp, always put greater lenses on dps frames and not on weapons - 7000+ xp per 45sec focus  pop-up.  you can max out your daily 100k focus in half an hour :D

I just tried pressing 5 for a little bit longer and yeah, warframe collapses and operator floats and it does a the thing! Why didn't I realize this before? I mean, I've done Kuva missions and when you're nearing a siphon, there's the text that pops up, telling you to press 5. I just thought that's all you do, and you need to upgrade or something to be able to do the fancy floating thing. I feel like an idiot.

Just now, imtooniceforthis said:

I just tried pressing 5 for a little bit longer and yeah, warframe collapses and operator floats and it does a the thing! Why didn't I realize this before? I mean, I've done Kuva missions and when you're nearing a siphon, there's the text that pops up, telling you to press 5. I just thought that's all you do, and you need to upgrade or something to be able to do the fancy floating thing. I feel like an idiot.

well, to be fair, there is a lot missing from the game to guide players with every new system that they're introduced to.  which is why we have a wiki I guess .-.

Oh tell me about it! One of the things I really dislike about this game is that it tells you how to move and use your abilities and that's it. Google the rest yourself. You're thrown into the solar map to rely on the community and the wiki - both are good but it seems a little weird, especially in a game that has sooo many different things in it. Warframe needs more clear instructions. These kind of "small" things are easy to miss, as just witnessed with this operator thing.