Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suggestion: weapon buy-back

Endorphinz

Power creep is an undeniable factor in this game. But, so is rebalancing older weapons, as they've done just recently. One thing that bugs the hell out of me is selling an old, trash-tier weapon to make space, only for it to receive a buff later on down the road.

My suggestion is, if the game can keep track of the mastery rank you have with all the gear in the game, why not simply allow an option to buy back fully-built weapons that you've sold for credits? Maybe even keep track of the orokin catalysts and forma used on it. As a trade-off, it could be returned to you unranked, and needing to level up again. This also applies to helping retrieve weapons that are used as materials in building other weapons (Looking at the Lesion in particular. I ended up having to build the kunai and bo not once, not twice, but three times over the course of playing this game, because them, the Tipedo, and Lesion were released separately from each other).

I can understand the reasoning behind not allowing buy-backs, since DE wants to gouge us for potatoes and forma whenever possible. However, it's an extremely artificial way to extend grinding time for veteran players especially, who have likely already built and sold many of the weapons from earlier versions of the game. It's simple frustration, and I feel this suggestion could greatly ease things for players.

Inventory space is cheap and a weapon that you never sell keeps all ranks and upgrades.  If you think it's "gouging" to charge a few pennies worth of platinum for a weapon slot that you will have forever, you might want to look at the prices and business practices of other F2P games on the market.

I think this plays an important part of the drive for players to have Plat, and would therefore be considered an important part of the Warframe economy.

Do I keep it, or do I sell it? Put your hand up if you wouldn't bother keeping everything, if there was no cost attached to doing so. If you put your hand up, your a liar.

35 minutes ago, Momaw said:

Inventory space is cheap and a weapon that you never sell keeps all ranks and upgrades.  If you think it's "gouging" to charge a few pennies worth of platinum for a weapon slot that you will have forever, you might want to look at the prices and business practices of other F2P games on the market.

penniless gamer here >:(

But it's important to remember, one of the very important aspects about Plat: if you acquire Plat, at some point somebody somewhere paid DE real money for it. Didn't have to be you, as long as somebody paid for, because when this happens, DE benefits, and Warframe the Game makes money. That's why simply explaining how a suggestion benefits you or me isn't enough. DE luvs us, but they have to make money or it all goes away. If a given idea benefits DE/sells more Plat, then it's much more likely DE will be interested. If it doesn't, or if it discourages the sale of Plat, then I'm guessing they'll be much less interested in it.

Edited by FierceRadiance

25 minutes ago, FierceRadiance said:

Gotta remember, Warframe is a business first. Explain how doing this will benefit Digital Extremes first. THEN tell us how it will benefit you/us.

By that logic, why include any quality of life additions to the game at ALL? Things like having multiple weapon loadouts and bugfixes don't put any money directly into DE's pocket, do they? But the reason they're there is because it makes the game better for the players. What I'm saying is, it is possible for a company to do something for the benefit of the players.

1 hour ago, Momaw said:

Yes I've seen this point thousands of times. "Just buy more inventory slots they're so cheeeeeap"

First point, I've heard there is a hard limit on the number of weapons you can actually have, last I heard it was about 70-ish.

Even if that were not true, my second point is, why would I keep every single worthless weapon that I've built and don't intend to use, and keep a tremendous inventory of junk to sort through every time I want to equip a weapon?

And third of all, even though I am far from penniless, I still care immensely for my fellow Warframe players. Just because I'm sitting on several thousand plat doesn't mean I'll just say "Oh, most people have platinum, so why should I care about the problems that apply to folks with limited funds?" Yeah that really does bug me that so many people think this way.

16 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

By that logic, why include any quality of life additions to the game at ALL? Things like having multiple weapon loadouts and bugfixes don't put any money directly into DE's pocket, do they? But the reason they're there is because it makes the game better for the players. What I'm saying is, it is possible for a company to do something for the benefit of the players.

Absolutely true, and those are the kinds of games (and game developers) many of us search for (although bugfixes are kind of de rigueur for developers; can't really give them much credit for doing them).

Sadly, while DE was very much in that camp early on in the development cycle, in the past year or two they've become more focused on income generation. This may be related to the buy-in by Sumpo Foods. They still do many cool things for the players, but it has lessened somewhat. Currently they seem focused on creating cosmetics, and not nearly so much on players' needs. As an L22, I need new weapons and warframes in order to progress, and while weapons used to drop at the rate of two or three a week in the first couple of years, they're down to a few a month right now. Warframes still drop, but their frequency has also fallen. So while DE is I'm sure open to doing nice things just for the players, they aren't as focused on the creation of new content, or doing nice things for the players just because they can, as they were back in the early days - which may be an entirely normal part of the game development cycle.

Edited by FierceRadiance

7 minutes ago, Endorphinz said:

I've heard there is a hard limit on the number of weapons you can actually have, last I heard it was about 70-ish.

Why would I keep every single worthless weapon that I've built and don't intend to use, and keep a tremendous inventory of junk to sort through every time I want to equip a weapon?

First, you heard wrong. I currently own well over three hundred different weapons - essentially every one I've ever earned, been given, or purchased.

Second, put simply, I still own them all because I have an indulgent wife, a job, and because I can. I don't need to get rid of any of them, so why should I?