Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Melee Weapon

(PSN)Lilybad

So, this weapon is called the Aspathi, after the Greek word for shield, aspida, and the Greek word for sword, apathi, combined. If you can guess, this weapon is like a sword and shield put together. The weapon is made of an energy material. It is a close range fist weapon, that can also be thrown like a glaive. It matches the energy color that you chose for it. Also deals high Electric and Magnetic damage on a charge attack. It looks like 2 circular energy discs that curve back slightly, and have grips that you put your hands through. When holstering them, they go on your sides. Quick melee allows the weapon to throw.

Impact Damage - 30

Slash Damage - 100

Puncture Damage - 100

Base Damage - 230

Throw Damage - 90

Electrical Damage - 200

Magnetic Damage - 200

Slide Attack - 200 Damage

Wall Attack - 150 Damage

Jump Attack - 175 Damage

Attack Speed - 1.25

Critical Chance - 15%

Critical Damage - 2.0x

Status Chance - 30%

Channeling Damage - 1.5x

Mastery Rank Requirement - MR 4

Polarity Slots - 1 Madurai & 1 Naramon

New Stance Called - Perpetual Dislodge

I hope you enjoy my idea! Please leave feedback on my idea! If you want, you can draw a quick sketch of what you think it would look like. 

Edited by (PS4)Lilybad

Ha, well this is slightly less overpowered than the last melee weapon concept you submitted, sounds pretty fun too :P

My main suggestion would be to once again, greatly reduce the base damage, 335 is just as ridiculous as last time, somewhere in the 50 range would be much more acceptable. Especially since I'm assuming that 80 below that is supposes to be the throw damage.

Or is that 80 part of the charge attack?

Edited by rapt0rman

2 minutes ago, (PS4)Lilybad said:

The 80 is base damage. :facepalm: forgot the throw damage

Your base damage is your combined impact/puncture/slash, definitely not 80 at the moment.

Also, glaive throw is their charge attack, wouldn't really work to have both a throw and a charge (maybe one is only in quick melee?)

Edited by rapt0rman

Just now, (PS4)Lilybad said:

Yes? What is the problem with my idea?

How about the fact that it is infinitely more powerful than any other weapon in the game. Take a look at the stats of melee weapons. Even Galatine prime (one of the best melee weapons) isn't anywhere close.

Oh, and MR 4... 

1 minute ago, (PS4)Lilybad said:

I fixed it. Its 255. That good?

With 1.25 BASE attack speed the highest it should be is 60. Honestly, just leave stats to DE instead.

4 hours ago, (PS4)Lilybad said:

I fixed it. Its 255. That good?

Not even remotely. I mean, I understand that thinking up super OP weapons is fun. But no one will take you seriously with numbers like that.

50-80 range tops.

Edited by rapt0rman

8 minutes ago, (PS4)Lilybad said:

Yes? What is the problem with my idea?

Mastery rank 4 -> Two free polarities -> High crit-High status -> Higher base damage than most of the existing weapons that already murders the entire flesh content -> It requires a stance of its own -> High attack speed on a... What's the weapon actually?

You've named it after a Sword n' Shield, but it's actually a Fist weapon that can be thrown as a Glaive?

Put simply :
It's unfairly powerful, very cheap, comes with a lot of free stuff.
The weapon is too "Unique" as in, it doesn't have a definite style, it's three things at the same time with three different innate elements and it simply prevents the weapon from joining a category.
It's Mastery 4...

The weapon idea itself sounds fun: a unique twist on the basic fisticuff weapons in the game for sure. I'd certainly use this with an Atlas. Would probably fit his style well.

As for the stats: they're.....excessive. Very excessive. I'd advise looking through the wiki for similarly styled weapons (Perhaps the Tekko?) and look at their base stats as a measure of strength. Magnetic/Electricity innate damage is fine as long as it's balanced. Just make sure to consider this extra damage when looking at the base non-elemental damage of the weapon!

If you need help figuring out how to balance weapons around rediculous base damage take a look at this:

(shameless plug, I know, but the thread has been dead for years)

550 may seem like a lot at first, but it has many downsides,

• no crit chance to speak of
  • decent status but no slash damage (one of the best damaging procs)
  • extremely slow rate of fire (punishes missed shots, and also means it's less efficient at consistently applying procs)
  • slowish reload
  • bolt has travel time

I can tell you right now, it's damage would start to fall off heavily against armored enemies at higher lvls.

As @BlazedStorm said, I looked at relevant, similar weapons, in my case, opticor and daikyu (honestly I'd say daikyu is underpowered  for what it's supposed to accomplish) and balanced the stats accordingly.

But in the end, there is NO melee weapon in the game with base damage remotely close to what you've suggested, and especially not on a dual wielding weapon with 1.25 attack speed. There's really just no way to justify it.

Edited by rapt0rman

1 hour ago, (PS4)Lilybad said:

Base Damage - 230

Electrical Damage - 200

Magnetic Damage - 200

Attack Speed - 1.25

Critical Chance - 15%

Critical Damage - 2.0x

Status Chance - 30%

Mastery Rank Requirement - MR 4

I hope you enjoy my idea! Please leave feedback on my idea! If you want, you can draw a quick sketch of what you think it would look like. 

zJ7cJ9z.gif