Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who would win: Magic or the Force?

(PSN)JaysInc_

So me and my friend are having a little argument about what the force can or can't do and what magic can or can't do. It first started with Game of Thrones vs Star Wars, then I thought that I should broaden this...

So, Star Wars most powerful character (Canon or legends) vs the most powerful magic user known in the fictional universe (comic, book, television series, movie, game series, etc.)

Just a simple 1v1 where both of them at their most powerful.

Edited by (PS4)JaysInc_

4 minutes ago, JohnMarkLee said:

Magic is a broad subject, it varies from universe to universe 

27 minutes ago, (PS4)JaysInc_ said:

vs the most powerful magic user known in the fictional universe (comic, book, television series, movie, game series, etc.)

Magic is already a broad subject and it is sorta difficult to narrow it down to exact, and its not Ashanti against types its users, (e.g. Gandalf, Dr. Strange, Merlin).

Plus its only 1 on 1

6 minutes ago, (PS4)JaysInc_ said:

Magic is already a broad subject and it is sorta difficult to narrow it down to exact, and its not Ashanti against types its users, (e.g. Gandalf, Dr. Strange, Merlin).

Plus its only 1 on 1

You know the fact that most of the powerful magic users are Gods doesn't help the balance *_*

6 minutes ago, JohnMarkLee said:

You know the fact that most of the powerful magic users are Gods doesn't help the balance *_*

But then you have the likes of Darth Plagueis, who from Palpatine states:

"was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

Basically he could keep himself alive, hence him being godlike.

Magic. As the other user said, magic is a very broad subject. A death spell would mean the end for a Jedi/Sith who didn't see it coming, and if we're including the effects of the Elder Gods then a Jedi/Sith simply gazing on Cthulhu would turn their brains into slush.

I haven't seen the entire star wars series mind you, just the most recent movies so take what I said with a grain of salt.

Most powerful fictional magic users are God-tier. It's totally one-sided.

Now if you get more specific and say something like...

Force vs Harry Potter Universe's strongest magic user

Then you have something a bit more even that we can have fun with.

Say we pit Luke Skywalker versus... Oh I don't know, Magnus the Red from Warhammer 40,000 is pretty damn far up there without being an outright story-breaker, so he'd be in the "difficult but fair" tier if the Extended Universe was still canon. However, that is no longer the case thanks to Disney, so a lot of the superpowers Jedi/Sith used to have for the sake of resolving poorly written plots are gone, and I feel like it would be both dishonest and more of a headache than this discussion is worth to measure by the old canon.

Hell, the jury's still out on whether Cthulhu and friends are using straight-up magic or just scientific disciplines which lesser beings cannot comprehend, or if there's even any difference between the two concepts, so who's to say that the "wizard" in Magic's corner can't be the Outer God Nyarlothotep? If you're really insistent on using the ridiculous force powers from the previous canon, most of these guys kill planets just by waking up and reading their horoscope.

Gandalf and Sauron, and even some of the older Elves in Tolkien's work, are basically lesser gods, and thus I'm pretty sure fighting them, let alone something like Morgoth or Ancalagon the Black, is largely an exercise in futility for most mortal beings, so let's not go there.

Granted, nobody in the Star Wars universe does an adequate job of guarding their name against the form of magic found in Earthsea or the Inheritance Cycle, in which knowledge of a true name is dominion over that object, force, or being, so we wouldn't even necessarily have to go that far up the raw power scale to find someone who could best a Jedi.

And yet other authors have deliberately limited magic's practicality by confining it mostly to parlor tricks such as turning wine into water or making ropes move. There's no real point in wondering what would happen in a fight between such a magic user and a force user.

Basically the gist of my argument is that it depends more on the magic user than it does the force user, but since Star Wars fans are the more insufferable, and the more deserving of being knocked down a peg or three, I say we make a more pathetic Jacen Solo Kylo Ren fight Discord from MLP:FiM.

Edited by Dreddeth
I found a more humiliating matchup.

Neither because the force and magic aren't people.

Bad joke aside, it depends very heavily on which type of magic.

As stated before, there are a real tons of different ways magic is used, some might even not remotely be close to what magic means but is called magic regardless in their respective universe/franchise or etc. Meanwhile, the force specifically has influence over everything, but not a single person (at least that I know of) has ever been able to achieve full control over the force. Therefore, unless you cite a specific, non godlike incredibly op type of magic, it wouldn't remotely be a fair fight, nor one that needs a discussion to know the result.