Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Disruptor Needs A Serious Nerf

Nestalim

Going 30 waves in Pluto defense missions...then complaining about the difficulty of Ancient Disruptors?

I would make topics about rail gun MOAs they can shot from place that you can not even see and one shot the pod or player. Past wave 30 is basically a gamble on if you can kill them before they have time to snipe. This is bad even on that mobile defense map with the computer you need to hack because they can go under you and shot up and wipe out the defense without indication they are there(it not hard just something that need to be watched out for).

Disrupters are at least big walking blobs you can blow up and can easily see coming.

Edited by LazyKnight

I see disruptor(s), I prioritize disruptor(s), I kill disruptor(s).

Any questions?

Yeah. Do you have eyes on your back?

I only get hit by disruptors when they take me by surprise. Since they're still silent and pretty fast (and now, almost identical to healers), they take me off guard slightly more often. Their leg hitboxes are a little off too, making bow hits harder to land.

I've been hit by one when standing directly BEHIND him, too. While running around hi, while jumping over him... his arms continue to heat-seek. And draining while I'm knocked down makes for a VERY frustrating experience.

Disruptors aren't challenging, they're needlessly punishing.

No, because disruptors are the only slightly menacing thing that the infested has.  Toxic ancients are marginally more difficult to deal with, but only because you can't melee them.  If I get hit by an infested toxic ancient, I'm more scared of just being close to him then I am being hit by him.  Ancient disruptors are like "holy S#&$ get the F*** away from me" levels, so its nice to have an enemy that is actually punishing to get hit by.

Any questions?

Yes, how do you tell the difference between an Ancient Healer and an Ancient Disruptor?

I would be fine with them if they didn't look just like Healers.

Edit: 100th post :D

Edited by IceCreamSand

All the people who think Disruptors are okay purely because their attack is avoidable and are telling people to "deal with it/try aiming/running/climbing on box/not crying" obviously do not understand game balance. Making their draining attack (which is BS, that's my opinion right there) avoidable is not an excuse for letting it drain ALL energy and shields. I wouldn't mind if I lost all my energy and shields because I was stupid enough to get hit multiple times by something that played fair. What I do mind, is losing all my energy and shields to the basic attack of an enemy that appears in fairly large numbers, has a lot of health, and charges pretty fast, and appears alongside other enemies that like to hold you in place for this enemy to hit you. No other faction uses this BS. Getting hit by an Ancient is much more likely than getting hit by a Grineer Sawman, for example. So why doesn't the Sawman make me lose 800+ shields and 200+ energy in a single attack?

And if you argue that Disruptors are needed for Infested to be challenging, then you also don't understand good game design. If the entire Infested faction is carried by Disruptors, then the entire faction is needing of rework, it doesn't mean keep Disruptors as they are. Unless all other enemies exist with the express purpose of directly supplementing Disruptors (which they really don't, unless you count stunlocking you in place so Disruptors can hit you as the intentioned strategy of the faction), Disruptors shouldn't be so dispropotionately more threatening than everything else. Fix Disruptors, and make the other enemies more challenging, preferably without using more stunlock.

"Making their draining attack (which is BS, that's my opinion right there) avoidable is not an excuse for letting it drain ALL energy and shields."

Um, yes it is.

This subject has been regurgitated, and shot down, many times before.

Edited by MXXVI

"Making their draining attack (which is BS, that's my opinion right there) avoidable is not an excuse for letting it drain ALL energy and shields."

Um, yes it is.

And I'm arguing the logic used to shoot it down is flawed, as explained in my post.

Yeah. Do you have eyes on your back?

I only get hit by disruptors when they take me by surprise. Since they're still silent and pretty fast (and now, almost identical to healers), they take me off guard slightly more often. Their leg hitboxes are a little off too, making bow hits harder to land.

I've been hit by one when standing directly BEHIND him, too. While running around hi, while jumping over him... his arms continue to heat-seek. And draining while I'm knocked down makes for a VERY frustrating experience.

Disruptors aren't challenging, they're needlessly punishing.

Enemy radar or a sharp eye. As well as never slowing down for a second when infested come about. As well as making sure I land the first Ice modded hit so I CAN dodge the heat-seeking energy rape tentacle

Just tell me How you focus Disruptor when it's DisruptorS. 

I have already seen a bunch of 4 disruptors packed and I can't stag all of them, also when there's Healers, who #*($%%@ up your dps.

Ice mod so they stay clustered together, than maybe a good AOE (kestrel ground slam ftw)

Yes, how do you tell the difference between an Ancient Healer and an Ancient Disruptor?

I would be fine with them if they didn't look just like Healers.

Edit: 100th post :D

That's what's been bugging me the most. I wish they would make different models for each ancient. Otherwise I have to wait for the green AOE to see if its a healer or just a disruptor.

Enemy radar or a sharp eye. As well as never slowing down for a second when infested come about. As well as making sure I land the first Ice modded hit so I CAN dodge the heat-seeking energy rape tentacle

Did not know the enemy detectors differentiated between disruptors and other infested. Thanks! (obvious sarcasm)

There is no telling if an enemy approaching from the back is a disruptor or not. The only thing you can do is look behind, aim at him, and read his name (since healers and disruptors look the same now). Now, I'm not sure which infested you seem to be fighting, but that isn't quite practical mid-combat. You oughta focus on killing those silly creatures trying to slap you to death. Running around isn't that good of a decision, as infested stack, and are fast enough to keep up with you for a reasonable amount of time (unless you are Loki - but need I remind you that not all frames are Loki?). Reach some rush-stopping feature like an elevator or bypass-door, and they will reach you, they will swarm you, and depending on their level, not even a fully-modded orthos, despair or dread will save your &#!.

Not to mention when a disruptor's pathfinding bugs out, and he ends up creeping right at the side of that door entry, slamming you in the face once you pass him by.

Or, if only one runner blows up remotely near you, even if you're not swarmed (if you were you'd be dead probably) and a disruptor is near, you'd get drained out of your energy before you recover from your stagger.

That's all it takes. One single mistake (or stupid teammate killing that runner with a Lex), and you may die the quickest, most frustrating death - having your defensive skills ripped out of you with little to no warning is not fun at all, and by no means is a display of challenge.

I do have a Loki, but I've been using a Nova and keeping on full sprint has kept me away from disruptors. I also have a Shade, so the full sprint and the random vanishing act is enough to give me breathing room. As for the partner error and bugging out, we all have dealt with it. Disruptors aren't some nigh-invulnerable energy grim reaper (energy grim reaper.... I'm gonna need to pitch that to someone) and even in the middle of a mad rush I can lance them with a couple arrows or hell, spray them down with gunfire from the hip. Or as of my now personal favorite, using Nova's M-prime mid-hover over the entire hoard and make them all go boom with a single ground slam.

My one complaint is they need to have different models for each ancient. Give them vastly different silhouettes so we can easily pick each one out. Also, give them more attack variety.

Multiples of Disruptors? By the point, you pretty much require a defense frame to get there. If you're not using one, preferably with an AoE ability, you're doing it wrong.

EDIT: I do agree that the new model should have a more clear leg hitbox/distinction between Healer and Disruptor. Right now, the only difference is that Disruptors don't have a blue arm. So make their arms red. That should be clear..

Edited by AlchemistMute

They are insane. 

DE is totally crazy to let this S#&$ like this. The energy burn is just TOO DAMN HIGH ! You should put a flat drain depending on the level of the Ancient. Also, being drain when you're knockdown is insane and stupid, an easy way to lose a defense.

This S#&$ alone ruins 30+ defense wave, forcing you to spam all your aoe to kill multiple disruptor before they hit someone and kill the game.

Damn. There is something dangerous that can force you to think different and change your tactics. Better nerf that problem.

Seriously. Laughable. Just laughable....

Currently disrupters are the ONLY challenge that the infested have, and they need to keep it.

That is a clear sign that something is wrong.

An enemy group shouldn't be a bunch of easy enemies and one difficult one.

The difficulty should be spread out among the various enemies.

The game shouldn't get any easier but the whole threat shouldn't come from a single source.

Any questions?

When looking at an enemy group it should be difficult to decide what is the most threatening and highest priority to defeat. 

A single enemy, with an attack that can disrupt shields, take all energy and blind the screen is going to be the obvious choice when paired with a bunch of enemies that are basically cannon fodder.

Its never been "shot down" by DE, and they are the only ones that have the power to actually change anything.

Edited by Ronyn

I've posted on too many Disruptor threads to bother typing another wall of text, so i'm just gonna copy-paste from a previous post i made.

To all you elitists who insist Disruptors are completely balanced and provide challenge:

Y'know what, the problem here is that Disruptors actually are not challenging at all. They are just frustrating. If i see one coming it is EXTREMELY easy to kill them, just use an ice mod, shoot them in the knee, stagger-spam them with melee etc. Long as you got enough ammo to feed these bullet sponges you're fine. If you see one attacking, just outrun its range, it's the only way to guarantee a dodge so that's boring but at least it works.

Disruptors are only a threat when they attack while you're getting CC'ed to hell by the other infested staggers/knockdowns, or when one randomly sneaks up on you, which is not an uncommon occurence since they make no unique sounds at all and the game just LOVES randomly spawning hordes behind you in the room you cleared less than 20 seconds ago. And when they sneak up on you and hit you, in ONE SINGLE HIT: you are knocked down (which guarantees an unavoidable second hit from the Disruptor as long as you're not knocked out of range); have all of your shields taken down so if there were other infested around (especially chargers) or you're playing a frame with low health like Mag, you are just boned; have all your energy removed which, not only makes the rest of the fight extremely boring as abilities are one of the few things keeping the game unique, and replenishing energy is completely based on RNG drops unless you just happen to have the Energy Siphon artifact equipped, and if you're using an ability-based frame like Loki you are also immediately screwed; and you get your screen scrambled which makes it extremely hard to see anything or escape. ONE HIT.

How are they "challenging" in any way? If something like this counts as challenge, you may as well just make every Ancient insta-kill you on hit. Bring back the Nervos, let every Grineer deploy them, it's your fault if they latch on to you. Scorpions should take all your energy and shields on hit too, because it's your fault for not dodging the completely silent hook attack. Glorious challenge, huh?

Ancient Disruptors DO need a nerf. However, the nerf should come only when DE introduces smarter enemy AI and more enemy variety to spice up the challenge in a fair manner so that the Disruptor's fake difficulty may be replaced with real difficulty. Until then, I suppose Disruptors ARE a necessary evil.

Or, hey! You know that Mag got a buff with Pull, USE IT. Mag can now pull everything away from the cryopod to about the middle lane of Xini's tile. All you need to do is jump and pull so you don't get caught in the middle of everything. Doing this I can at least get my party to wave 20 as long as the rest of the party is capable of taking down higher level enemies effectively..

My solution to incoming disprupters is that I use Nyx to mind control one or mass control em if there is more.  Then I just either mellee them to death or shoot em.  Other option is to shoot em with a gun that has frost damage slows em down enough allowing u to keep your distance.

regards Rogue

I see that people truly hate the idea of Disruptors draining a percentage of your shields and energy that scales with the Disruptor's level

Yes, because it's punishing. You're going to find that there are more people that want the game to be challenging without it being needlessly punishing.  

The near consistent problem that I've been seeing in this forum with some of the extremely neck-beard responses of "You're lazy" (without taking the time to explain why), etc, and the development of the patches, updates and hotfixes is that DE has been doing entirely too much catering to what I affectionately call the "Elite Masters" (as Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw once inferred as -- the ones that beat the Luigi of Purple Coin Challenge).  Those people that have mastered the game because of the endless hours that they have played it and have reached the ceiling of what the game was originally intended to do and want it to be needlessly grueling in order to keep themselves entertained.  

Here's the problem kids...  In a Bell Curve these "elite masters" are a small percentage of players.  Even seeing the responses here, it's a small percentage of them who coincidentally are also a group of the loudest in the forums against anything that will take away from the punishment.  However, the majority of the Bell Curve -- the very group that developers like DE, PWO, and the host of them out there now -- need to cater to the vast majority of players that haven't --   Yes, the casual player.  The ones that can only play one or two hours a night and perhaps once a week have an all day session playing with friends.  

Instead of tiering the game between multiple levels (or even two) that can differentiate between casual players to the hardcore/nightmare type.  They've made one.  And in making one -- one that caters to the elite players -- DE is going to find themselves alienating the majority of a bell curve that they're aiming to get revenue from.  For if I were to wager a broad and hypothetical guess based on the bell curve, if the elite players are 10% and the other side of the bell curve is 10% of poor players..  Then somewhere in the 80% between is going to be the place where the most amount of revenue can potentially come from.  In mathematics if 1 (of 10) of the elite spends $25.  What does 8 (of 10) come to again?  Yep...  $200.  Where do you think the developers are looking to get that money from?  You guessed it...  The part of the bell curve that can provide more money.

You can niggle the point all you want.  The fact remains, for as long as they try to listen to the ones complaining about the simplicity of the game by making it punishing -- everyone's going to lose.  

The point being : If you're not able to be aware of the presence of (a) Disruptor(s), you shouldn't be doing Infested Defense missions, or Infested missions period because 9 times out of 10, there WILL be at least one Disruptor to ruin your and or your teammates lives.

Stop complaining. No nerf needed. Disruptors are only doing what they were built for and are perfectly fine. If you can't keep tabs on your enemies at all times, you deserve to be slapped and have your energy taken away from you. That's punishment for not being aware of your surroundings. It's not that hard to find them in the first place. They're the tallest of all infested - being an Ancient as they're waddling over to you - so it makes them hard NOT to be seen amongst a crowd of infested. Just prepare yourself better next time and use bolt weapons as they deal full damage to Ancients. You'll have one down in less than two reloads of Kunai without a potato or forma.

End of story.

The point being : If you're not able to be aware of the presence of (a) Disruptor(s), you shouldn't be doing Infested Defense missions, or Infested missions period because 9 times out of 10, there WILL be at least one Disruptor to ruin your and or your teammates lives.

Stop complaining. No nerf needed. Disruptors are only doing what they were built for and are perfectly fine. If you can't keep tabs on your enemies at all times, you deserve to be slapped and have your energy taken away from you. That's punishment for not being aware of your surroundings. It's not that hard to find them in the first place. They're the tallest of all infested - being an Ancient as they're waddling over to you - so it makes them hard NOT to be seen amongst a crowd of infested. Just prepare yourself better next time and use bolt weapons as they deal full damage to Ancients. You'll have one down in less than two reloads of Kunai without a potato or forma.

End of story.

The point being-an entire factions difficulty shouldn't come from a single enemy type making them the obvious priority over all other mobs.

The issue isn't that disruptors are "too hard", the problem is that the infested faction, as a whole, is disproportionately slanted.

Combine that with the fact that disruptor design is all about taking all sorts of control away from the player, which breaks the sense of engagement.

This is likely why the disruptor gets the most complaints even though the infested faction isn't even considered the most challenging faction.

Consider this-What if there were three enemies, one that broke sheilds, one that took energy, and one that blinded the player, that would come a you from different angles. In that instance a player is less likely to be supposed by one and subjected to all three effects but the player is now more challenged to take out multiple targets capable of effecting them in serious ways. The player would then have a harder time prioritizing what enemy is most important and must be taken out first. It also means that the enemy variety could be changed up, presenting the player with more combinations in each encounter.

This was never just about "difficulty". It is about good design, where difficulty should come from, and how factions should be balanced overall.

Edited by Ronyn

"Its never been "shot down" by DE, and they are the only ones that have the power to actually change anything."

DE has also never "shot down" the idea of space unicorns that shoot particle beams outta their butts, but since the players haven't started requesting space unicorns, that's a moot point.

As it is here. The majority of players do not have an issue with Disruptors. They are not game-breaking, and this notion that they represent some major gaping wound in the game's basic design is entirely contrived. As is the notion that only "elite" hardcore players think Disruptors are fine. As is the notion that Disruptors are the highest priority target.

I have seen far, far more people get wtfpwned by Toxic ancients and crawlers than any other enemy in the entire game. 90% of the revives I've performed during infested missions are the result of toxic damage (which bypasses shields, thus rendering the Disruptor's ability irrelevant).

You can wriggle around this issue as much as you like, and try to re-label the problem as one of game design flaw... but what it all boils down to is: you weren't paying attention, you didn't avoid the Disruptor, kill the Disruptor, CC the Disruptor, or even ninja-kick the Disruptor in the face, and it annoyed you.