The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sobek Shotgun 9.1.4 Thread Merger

TheSeannachaidh

Hello.

The problem with Sobek can't be solved by simple number switching because it's designed wrong in two ways.

1: Warframe had three shotguns previously, Strun the standard all arounder, Boar the rapid fire auto and Hek the heavy hitter with low ammo.

Trying to make the sobek a rapid fire shotgun is redundant...what makes more sense is to come at it from a different way.

either

A-Burst fire: shoots two shots then cycles. This makes it hit harder than other shotguns but will have a delay between each shot.

B-Wide Fire: Shoots in large cone effect then cycles. This makes it good for hitting multiple enemies at close range but will have a delay between each shot.

Either way, burst fire or wide fire, it becomes the unique hitter with good ammo but time in between shots.

That gives it a more unique niche in the arsenal.

2: The sobek looks like a double barreled shotgun. This aesthetic implies power shots to most people yet you've chosen to go with a weaker per shot mechanic. This is counter intuitive.

pretty sure the reload is faster than hek, and it only has 4 shots

HEK has almost 3 times the pellets, does more damage and SCALES much better.. In essence, one shot of the hek is 2-4 of the sobek. And the HEK is around 4s, Sobek is around 6s.

Sobek is fine now 100% useable I do not care if it stronger than HEK its lethal now, I can use it if I want too. Burst is the most important thing for shot guns and I can always reload when I am moving. I am happy DE is buffing they could have just ignored this totally and left it at 40 damage. If they change reload later or don't that up to them I am just happy it is getting attention.

@Drakonnan180

I have timed it *multiple* times with a stopwatch.

The sobek now takes 4 seconds to reload, hek around 2.5.

This is after multiple repeated testing of both weapons WITHOUT tactical pump.

HEK has almost 3 times the pellets, does more damage and SCALES much better.. In essence, one shot of the hek is 2-4 of the sobek. And the HEK is around 4s, Sobek is around 6s.

Seriously? hmmm it feels like to same to me, maybe i just havent used my Hek in awhile. I do realize Hek would do more dmg per shot but sobek with a 20 clip would make up for that i geuss. (maybe not once theyre both fully modded)

People just always need something to complain about don't they

I wasn't complaining before now. I was very pleased with the first fix. It wasn't a unique weapon like people would expect and were hoping for from a 4th shotgun being added to the arsenal, but it was functional and didn't leave you having to run away long enough to reload.

What is more and to clarify, I am generally very pleased with everything that the developers of this game have done, said that they are doing now, and have told us they are thinking about doing in the more distant future; I would not have purchased Master Founder if I thought the game was a general assortment of S#&$ty choices made by a motley band of nitwits, would I? No, I have one particular qualm with regards to a change to something that I was fond of, and suddenly I am painted some base and foul creature lurking about in the depth of the interwebs in search of an answer to that most socially annoying of questions: "What can I $#*(@ about next?"... 

Edited by TheSeannachaidh

Why is it so accurate when shotguns have a huge damage falloff..? Ask the HEk that same question

Why is it full auto, with a base fire rate that's as slow as the lex? So you can be more ammo effiecient

Why is it a double barreled shotgun that fires automatically? Why not?

It still has 4 pellets so it will not scale as well as the rest of the shotguns.

Seriously? hmmm it feels like to same to me, maybe i just havent used my Hek in awhile. I do realize Hek would do more dmg per shot but sobek with a 20 clip would make up for that i geuss. (maybe not once theyre both fully modded)

It only needed to have 80 damage to have the same sustained DPS when it reload time was hotfix at 9.3 levels and 100 should make it pretty close even with the longer reload time.

Wha....6? Are you serious?

I have tested it quite a few times with a stopwatch and its actually 4.

That is still longer than any of the other shotguns though.  And kills one of the things that made the Sobek good.

Edited by Tsukinoki

usually a higher ammo per clip means it'll take longer to reload. so to me it makes sense, maybe not 4-5 seconds but ehh, come on, it has 20 ammo in a clip. or well it might be 12 now, still not 4 or 6 ammo you know, like the hek and strun.

Sobek is just broken now. it's the most powerful shotgun in Warframe now. it has higher per pellet damage than Hek, and similar dropoff amounts. so now it's better at long range than Hek. wut. 

100 dmg @ 4 proj is way over the top. 

70 @ 5 proj is probably perfect. 75 dmg, maybe. 

100 dmg @ 4 proj makes each projectile 25 dmg. what this means is, it has 5 dmg more per pellet than Hek. meaning the damage dropoff affects Sobek less than Hek. 

also, the reload speed is pretty annoying. the reload was fine as it was before, i understand the (3.5sec?) longer reload is to balance 100 dmg, but we didn't need that. so if we bring it back down a bit, and increase to 5 proj as the rule of thumb for shotguns is 5x the impact force of a rifle...

but yeah, Sobek is really too powerful now. 

also, the way we've changed artificacts now, is... odd. not what i expected at all. i expected a polarity remove, rather than free bonus points, lol!

Edited by taiiat

4 seconds. Let's do some calculations!

100 damage, 250 average dps. Time to empty clip still 8 seconds. 12 seconds until the gun is ready to fire again. Sustained DPS is... (250 x8)/12 = 167 rounded out.

Now compare that to Hek's 141, and the Sobek pulls slightly ahead in case of things you can't kill in 6 Hek shots (but can in 30 Sobek shots) as well as having less overall downtime. Does this compare to the Hek? Well, only for the extremely weak or extremely strong mobs. Weak mobs that can be killed in one hit will be cleaned up more efficiently by the Sobek. Very situational, but at least it has a use now.

Who are you addressing in this?

probably trying to tell me the math is wrong. per pellet, Sobek does do more damage at extreme ranges than Hek, due to 5dmg more per pellet. Hek has more pellets and does more damage sure, but at extreme ranges, Sobek will still deal more damage than Hek. 

just throwing up some example numbers, if Hek does 2 dmg per pellet at range X, Sobek will probably deal 5 or 6 dmg per pellet. this makes mods scale better, so it's going to deal more damage per pellet. the fact that Hek technically still does more damage per shot is irrelevant, because at medium / long range, i'm currently dealing ~260 AP damage. that's ridiculous. the AP damage alone is killing everything. 

it's a problem. the higher damage scales the 150% AP bonus really high. all shotguns have the same bonuses, but having the highest damage per pellet really cranks this up .

usually a higher ammo per clip means it'll take longer to reload. so to me it makes sense, maybe not 4-5 seconds but ehh, come on, it has 20 ammo in a clip. or well it might be 12 now, still not 4 or 6 ammo you know, like the hek and strun.

That's not how reloading works. Other assault rifles with 30-round magazines would take 5 seconds to reload if it were. Mag goes out, new mag goes in. It's not like you're reloading each shell individually.

That's not how reloading works. Other assault rifles with 30-round magazines would take 5 seconds to reload if it were. Mag goes out, new mag goes in. It's not like you're reloading each shell individually.

Particularly when the magazine appears to be a drum, which would presumably be inserted into and extricated from the weapon with an ease reminiscent of an old N64 cartridge, and assuming I am a ninja for whom throwing 3 knives per second at an improbable velocity is common practice, I don't see myself struggling overlong reloading my 1990s Nintendo Gun...

Edited by TheSeannachaidh