Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sobek Shotgun 9.1.4 Thread Merger

TheSeannachaidh

Strun base clipsize = 6.0

Strun base reload speed = 3.0

Sobek base clipsize = 20.0

Sobek base reload speed = 3.5

By going clipsize and reload speed alone for DPS....Sobek wins. Of course going on spike damage on a single, normal mob target, Strun wins. But constant sustained fire against stronger mobs/bosses? Sobek. Both shotguns are viable for their certain strengths. But either way, you (and a few others) are sitting here arguing that a .5 reload speed difference makes this shotgun "unusable" when it has over 3 times the clip of the Strun, does about 4/5ths damage per shot of the strun, and has a much, much lower delay between shots.. *rolls eyes*

Hek is better than Strun for that spike damage scenerio.

Strun was the more moderate, middle of the road weapon.

Boar's auto fire was supposed to be best for sustained damage.

This is the problem, the sobek's supposed "niche" is redundant.....

its designed wrong.

If both are rank 4 shotguns then they must be sidegrades to each other. Sobek is not a sidegrade from Hek, its a flat out upgrade. Fix please.

Lower burst damage and ammo efficiency in exchange for a higher sustained DPS is not a "flat out upgrade".

In any case I think having to actually plan around your magazine size and reload times is a far more interesting dynamic for a shotgun than "huge magazine but pathetic DPS." I've been disappointed by more than enough Bandit guns in Borderlands 2 to know how that works out.

Lower burst damage and ammo efficiency in exchange for a higher sustained DPS is not a "flat out upgrade".

the problem is, per shot, Sobek is close to Heks' power, and almost exactly as powerful as Hek was before Hybrid mods. 

so it's like 90% of the power per shot, shoots fast with a large magazine, is very accurate, and only 'downside' is a reload time?

let's math this out.

25dmg base * 90% base increase * headshot(average 200-250%, we'll say 225%) *4 pellets == 427.5

25dmg base * 90% base increase * 150% AP * headshot(225%) * 4 pellets == 1068.75. 

25dmg base * 90% base increase * 90% cryo * headshot(225%) *4 pellets == 812.25

keep in mind i'm not even adding 4 more pellets for the 100%+ multishot everyone uses on a shotgun. 

(before anyone complains, yes i literally get 95% headshots with Sobek - i'm not adding headshot just because).

sooo... the most commonly used damage boosts(fire and elec are also common, but i personally don't have them levelled much), and what you have per shot, is an AP damage as powerful as a sniper rifle. you have ice damage that burns anythings' shield instantly, so even the biggest shield, only saves the enemy from death of the first shot. 

even the base damage is pitiful compared to the AP damage.

that AP damage is literally the same as having a sniper rifle with a Lex and two ice guns taped to the side, and they all fire when you pull the trigger. 

the fact that other shotguns have these mods too, isn't as relavent. Sobek has the highest damage per pellet of all shotguns, meaning these numbers get a LOT bigger despite the lower pellet count. in other words, Sobek is getting close to the damage of other shotguns, with less pellets, just as much if not more accuracy, and a bottomless ammo supply compared to the magazine size of other shotguns. 

with Sobek, i can quite literally go through a mission with clanmates, and 'yo dawg i herd you liek getting kills so i stole ALL of them'. every single one. throughout an entire mission.

i followed one clanmate around that was trying to level a new sword, he didn't get a single kill or even hit with it until i stopped kill stealing. i wasn't standing right behind him either, i was standing at the doorway of every room and just wiping the room before he could get to any of them. 

don't get me wrong, i love the way Sobek looks, and how it feels. but this S#&$ is just broken. 

Edited by taiiat

don't get me wrong, i love the way Sobek looks, and how it feels. but this S#&$ is just broken. 

Would you like me to make a math sheet for how I can do the same thing with a vandal snipetron or HEK and get 90% head shots no scoping?  Anyone that can aim with a despair CRUSHES the sobek there is not a way possible for a player to kill slower with a despair. If you are playing with people that can't aim and are under your gear level as well do not try to use it as a ground to nerf a weapon because you do not like it. Learn how the math works the sobek doesn't out damage a HEK EVER per shot your math is wrong.

Edited by LazyKnight

This thread in a nutshell: "Sobek is bad, buff it, Sobek is good nerf it!"

Honestly its fine now. Strun is still the balanced shotgun, Hek is great for crazy fights were you need to reload often giving it flexibility at the cost of sustained pressure, Boar is the crowd shredder, Sobek is a mid ranged clearer that suffers up-close.

Sobek still has no polarities, meaning you're forma'ing this at least once just fit all the goodies on it. Probably twice for a really good set up. For a rank 4 weapon that needs its 5 neurodes it needs to be worth the investment.

Okay, I had a new idea: 

Make the Sobek an incendiary shotgun (i.e. make it have innate fire or mini-explosion damage properties) , and change it to a research weapon in the Dojo Chem Lab... Ideally still fix this crap reload time, but make it unique instead of a really annoying, but accurate, Boar.

Okay, I had a new idea: 

Make the Sobek an incendiary shotgun (i.e. make it have innate fire or mini-explosion damage properties) , and change it to a research weapon in the Dojo Chem Lab... Ideally still fix this crap reload time, but make it unique instead of a really annoying, but accurate, Boar.

Making it a fire damage type shot gun might be a fun idea actual. Since most people would use it for infested that would give it an ironclad niche for what faction to use it on. Fire doesn't have a single NPC that is out right immune to it either so it wouldn't be a nerf on anything but girineer and would be a minor.

Reload could be 3 seconds and it wouldn't make its burst any higher or lower and it sustained damage would seldom be used because only a boss can take more than 20 rounds.

Edited by LazyKnight

The Sobek is so small, Frost can probably hide it in his coat.

That's the idea....... Compact, light weight and a whole S*** ton of whoop-a**

Besides, it actually looks normal on Mag, or Nova for that matter.

Edited by DCypherThis13

From my experience with the Sobek, the reload time is fine if you can judge when you should reload and when you should try to dig in and finish off the rest of your magazine. It also helps to play frames who can buy you time to reload (i.e. Saryn; molt to run away from small battles or just nuke everything if you can't catch a breather) or spam powers while reloading with no downside (i.e. Vauban; throw out Bastille or pop a few Teslas to keep the pressure going without interrupting your reload).

I think it's a perfectly interesting and potentially viable gun with its own distinct strengths and weaknesses that you need to consider going into battle instead of just charging in and holding/mashing M1 until everything's dead.

Edited by ZephRG

From my experience with the Sobek, the reload time is fine if you can judge when you should reload and when you should try to dig in and finish off the rest of your magazine. It also helps to play frames who can buy you time to reload (i.e. Saryn; molt to run away from small battles or just nuke everything if you can't catch a breather) or spam powers while reloading with no downside (i.e. Vauban; throw out Bastille or pop a few Teslas to keep the pressure going without interrupting your reload).

I think it's a perfectly interesting and potentially viable gun with its own distinct strengths and weaknesses that you need to consider going into battle instead of just charging in and holding/mashing M1 until everything's dead.

This. 

Once you can figure out when to reload you can make the thing work like a dream.

I even replaced tactical pump with max mag capacity and it works better because it has enough ammo to keep anything at bay until you are in the clear to reload.

I think it should be nerfed back to 60 damage have the clip size halved, then gave it a higher crit chance that way it will give a use to those crit mods. 

edit: fair enough i didn't realize the boar or the strun had high crit chances

Edited by richboyricha

I think it should be nerfed back to 60 damage have the clip size halved, then gave it a higher crit chance that way it will give a use to those crit mods. 

That'd end up making it become the Grakata shotgun, and though Grakata is relatively viable, it seems most users dislike it.

It's currently just fine as it is. If you want crits, Boar and Strun already fill that role.

Think buffing it to 100 was a bit much, I would have been happy with double its initial damage (80).

That said, it doesn't feel too strong at this point either, and it still burns through ammo relatively quick.

Learn how the math works the sobek doesn't out damage a HEK EVER per shot your math is wrong.

i never said it out damages Hek. it's only a smidgen short of Hek's damage, with a 20rd drum. that's ridiculous. 

and for all intensive purposes Hek is less accurate than Sobek, the pellet spread is generally closer together with Sobek. Hek outperforms due to the many extra pellets, but the many extra pellets inevitably means it has a larger spread. 

Edited by taiiat